Clip 1Gb stays lit after full USB charge...? SanDisk next firmware idea inside...

Hey All!  :slight_smile:

Got my new Sansa Clip 1Gb plugged into USB and the battery indicator has stopped flashing and shows as full - however, the display is still on showing connected and flashing about the Sandisk logo.

Why does this stay on when the player is now charged?

If I was going to bed now and leaving PC on to process some things - the player might be fuilly charged but keeps cycling through its screens for maybe up to 8 hours whilst I am asleep when there is no need for it too.

Is this normal?

Cheers folks.

pinkfloydian

(PS) Player is on version 16 of REV2

Message Edited by pinkfloydian on 02-11-2009 11:36 PM

Message Edited by pinkfloydian on 02-12-2009 12:35 AM

yes it’s normal.  it will stay that way while you are charging it.

but no need to worry cause your computer will not overcharge the device

thanks marqck!

A very odd way for this player to behave though.  It gets charged fully and then could stay lit up for many many hours just because it has not been unplugged from the PC.

My PC is able to charge an MP3 device even when turned off so it all is very strange that SanDisk have not got a built-in screen off function once the player is fully charged…I mean, a simply ‘wake-up’ by the press of a key will confirm to any user just how far the battery has charged to.

Was gonna mark this as a solved thread due to marqcks kind comment - but have decided to leave it open and title it as an idea for future firmware upgrade as I honestly cannot think of 1 good reason to keep that screen on constantly if the player is charged.  After all, usage leads to wear and tear - and that does affect OLEDs as far as I know.

Cheers.

pinkfloydian

Ipods are the same way. It actually has come in handy as it has been a reminder that the thiong was plugged in and sombody forgot to disconnect it,

you’re welcome.

additional info; if you use an AC wall charger, you will not see the connected screen and and you’ll be able to navigate the player plus the screen will turn off after the preset time for the LCD to turn off…

thanks marqck!

A very odd way for this player to behave though.  It gets charged fully and then could stay lit up for many many hours just because it has not been unplugged from the PC.

My PC is able to charge an MP3 device even when turned off so it all is very strange that SanDisk have not got a built-in screen off function once the player is fully charged…I mean, a simply ‘wake-up’ by the press of a key will confirm to any user just how far the battery has charged to.

Was gonna mark this as a solved thread due to marqcks kind comment - but have decided to leave it open and title it as an idea for future firmware upgrade as I honestly cannot think of 1 good reason to keep that screen on constantly if the player is charged.  After all, usage leads to wear and tear - and that does affect OLEDs as far as I know.

Cheers.

pinkfloydian

@marqck wrote:

you’re welcome.

additional info; if you use an AC wall charger, you will not see the connected screen and and you’ll be able to navigate the player plus the screen will turn off after the preset time for the LCD to turn off…

Marqck is correct, the AC charger won’t keep the screen on. If you use the computer to charge, the screen stays on for an hour(at least on my Rev.1 ) which as you point out pinkfloydian does place needless wear on the screen. I think Conversion Box may be correct, it might be intended to remind people it’s plugged in. Your best bet is , get a wall charger, and only connect to the computer when you need to add/remove content from the player…and the wall charger works faster too:smiley:

Thanks to ALL posters.  :wink:

pinkfloydian

I have the problem where I plug the clip (powered off) into my computer to charge and forget about it.

Then a few hours later, the computer goes to sleep (usb power shuts off) and the clip stays on and discharges its battery.

This often happens when I forget to unplug the clip before bed.

Is there a way the firmware could be changed to prevent this?

Thanks

Happy Trails

Always pause the player before charging on an AC adapter, as the player will continue playing.

For your computer USB issue, you can change the power settings on that USB port, so that it will stay ON.

Often, when the computer hibernates, the USB ports are powered down.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks Bob,

I have an Apple Macbook laptop, and I am unaware of any way to  get it’s USB port power to stay on when the computer sleeps.

Until the Clip firmware addresses this issue, I have thought up another workaround that dose not involve buying another wall wart/charger.

I  will  try using an old (wall wart) powered USB 1  hub, I already have and am not using, (not plugged into the computer) and see if that will  do the trick.

In theory, I could charge four Clips at once: :smiley:

(to cheap and lazy to buy another dedicated charger)

The Clip firmware should be modified so that:

When USB power is turned off or disconnected, and no buttons on the Clip have been pressed for 5 min.,  the Clip should power itself down, regardless of what condition it was in before or during being plugged in. Any button press during the 5 min. Countdown will cancel the power shut down timer and the Clip will resume normal operation.

If the Clip looses USB power (computer sleeps) after connecting to computer/transferring files, the Clip should “sleep” or it should refresh it’s data base before 5 min. power down(don’t know if this would cause problem with Mac or PC operating system when computer wakes back up. For example: on a Mac you are supposed to “eject” the Clip before physically disconnecting it from the USB port, also if you have deleted files from the Clip, you must empty the “Trash” before “Ejecting” and/or physically disconnecting the Clip in order to free up the space on the Clip ). I am also unaware  if there is a difference between an unplugged clip verses a clip that is plugged into a sleeping computer.

Happy TRails  

Message Edited by wavysclip on 02-14-2009 01:18 PM

I have the same problem.

I often leave the player (Clip+ 4GB) connected to my netbook overnight and as the machine hybernates according to power management options I set, the player keeps playing.

In the morning the player’s batteries are nearly depleted.

I just learned from this post that a solution is to to set the player on pause before recharging.

However, I still think this is not appropriate.

I often start recharging with the player off, and I do not even remember what or if it was playing when last used.

Plugging the USB cable turns the player on until one manually shuts it down!

I think this behavior is very undesirable and am surprised has not yet been rectified

(I got my model in December 2010). 

We can set or adjust the power settings of the player (Settings -> Power -> Auto Power), so when it is not in used then it will power down on its own.