Clean you Sansa Clip? Do it the right way!

Hi All,

I just registered to this forum. I have had a Sansa Clip for just over half a year now and use it a lot for my running exercises as well as to keep me going during running competitions. I am a recreational runner but sometimes I take part at common public competition runs.

Like yesterday, when I enjoyed the music during a 10 miles run in the east of the Netherlands. As it was rainy weather during the morning I had an extra training jacket which I put on againg after the run. Easy as it was, I put the Sansa in my jacket pocket.

On the way home we visited some family and at the end of the afternoon we got home and the running clothes went into the washing machine. In the evening, I remembered not to have seen the Sansa since the run and suddenly realized that it might be still in the jacket.

The answer hang down from the dry line. The clip had come loose from the device which itself had found (or created) a hole in the pocket. It had travelled around inside the sleeves of the jacket. Earphones were found back as well.

I dried the outside and put the device on a warm space: above my old CRT computer monitor was suitable. After an hour or so I hooked it up to the PC and say what… I had a working display. There was still some moist at the inside of the screen protection window.

I than hang it behind my computer power supply to force dry it by a warm air flow. At the end of the evening I unplugged it but the display had faded away to very low light. Switch off and on, and the display was black. Still FM radio and MP3 was working by remembering the menu structure and pressing the right keys.

This morning the moist had gone but there was still no display. I disassembled the device, following a thread on this forum. That’s how I came here in the first place. I took it apart and refixed the display connector cable. Voila, screen was on.

I assembled the device again and it is working fine now. Earphone plugs are OK as well.

At the end I have realized that a complete 40 degrees Celcius washing program for a 1 hour and 55 minutes duration had not destroyed the Sansa Clip.

To you out there, if you are planning to clean the device, find some other way. I would not recommend this, but it is good to knwo that the product is reliable enough to soak it for about two hours in a laundry machine.

Regards,

Alex

And to be safest, best to let it dry for a number of days. in a warm location.

Great to hear!  And to be safest, best to let it dry for a number of days, in a warm location.

i was on the subject of electronics that get wet one time with someone and it was recommended that they should be put in a bag of rice (surrouned by rice) for a couple days. the rice absorbes all the internal moisture. 

Message Edited by er9 on 04-07-2010 10:57 PM

@er9 wrote:
i was on the subject of electronics that get wet one time with someone and it was recommended that they should be put in a bag of rice (surrouned by rice) for a couple days. the rice absorbes all the internal moisture. 

Makes perfect sense, I put rice in my salt shaker to avoid moist :smiley:

funman wrote:

@er9 wrote:

Makes perfect sense, I put rice in my salt shaker to avoid moist :smiley:

I use saltine crackers in my sugar cannister to prevent lumping from moisture, but since a saltine is already bigger than the Clip, this probably wouldn’t be the best option. :stuck_out_tongue: