Help, PLEASE!

Okay, I own a 2g SanDisk Sansa Clip (I know the thing is tiny but it fits for my height). I’m really short so the thing weighs down my pocket quite a bit. Shouldn’t be able to miss it when you go to stick a sweater you were just wearing in the washing machine. Well. OOPS! I about started crying when I couldn’t find it and remembered it had been in my sweater pocket and I opened the dryer. And yes… I hooked it up to the fricken charger and turned it on when it was wet! I’m not that smart! I have three questions then…

1.) Does washing it out with water still go for the clip?

2.) If it does, do I haft to remove the battery?

3.) If I haft to remove the battery, HOW THE HECK DO I GET IT OUT WITHOUT BREAKING THE THING!!!

Ah, a freshly laundered Clip!  If it has been through the entire wash cycle, meaning that the detergent has been rinsed, you’re in a better situation than one with soap inside it.

For today, do not try powering up the device, as energized electronics can run into problems.  The battery cannot be disconnected, but the Clip will be OK if left off.

I recommend a bath in distilled water (not drinking water, which has dissolved ions in it, or minerals) .  Distilled water is non-conductive, contrary to popular belief.  It’s the dissolved ions that provide the conductivity.

Shake the water out of the Clip, and place it in a warm and dry place.  I’ve found that a windowsill, in the indirect sunlight, is great.  Some time in the sunlight is fine, just be careful about the season, as midsummer sun can really get the device hot.  Bringing the temperature above 100*F or 35*C must involve a bit of caution.

After a day or two, the player should be fine.  Some have recommended a simple dessicant, placing the Clip in a bag of dry rice.  The rice is hygroscopic, and will absorb the moisture.

After it dries out, the final step is to charge the Clip.  The charging process will generate a wee bit of heat, which is benificial in this case.

I had a Clip take a bath in the washing machine, and used assorted lab equipment and 2-Propanol as a dessicant, but distilled water and warmth are the simplest, readily available tricks.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@neutron_bob wrote:

After a day or two, the player should be fine.  Some have recommended a simple dessicant, placing the Clip in a bag of dry rice.  The rice is hygroscopic, and will absorb the moisture.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

This reminds me of a YouTube video on Bentonite clay that is highly absorbent being used as a face mask.   Same Stuff Kitty Litter is made of.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-x6hCI9X0g&feature=channel

If I wash my Clip I will try it.

If it’s any solace to you, many other posts here on this topic.  And many happy endings.  You can do a search using the search box at the upper left.