Charging stuck at 50%

i just got my sansa fuze 8gb today and i immediately formatted it and put on the newest firmware update (sucessfully), then i switched it to msc mode. now i am trying to charge the player and it is stuck at 50% battery life. it’s been like 8 or 10 hours now. i am using usb 2.0 ports from the back of my computer and tried several of them, both ones built-in the motherboard and some from a pci add-on card. i have turned the player on and off several times too to see if the battery graphic will change and it still shows 50% full.

never had charging problems with any other usb device before.

winxp sp3 pro system.

Assume for a second that your battery charge indicator (little green battery icon) is incorrect. Switch your player to MTP mode and connect to your computer. You may have to go up one level if Windows Explorer automatically opened and you see 2 icons; Internal Memory & External uSD Card. You want the main My Computer pane. Under Other, right-click on your Fuze & select Properties. This should give you the exact percentage level of battery charge.

If it still shows at 50%, I’d consider A.) trying another computer, if possible. B.) Trying an AC USB wall or car charger, if you have access to one and/or C.) taking or sending it back to where you bought it for another one. You may have a defective internal charging circuit.

I put it in MTP mode and checked the battery life and it says 100%. :slight_smile:

Now I wonder if I can make the icon in fuze show it as full?

Message Edited by rubix on 12-05-2008 06:48 PM

I would try leaving it on (playing) and letting it run completely down, bottoming out the battery icon (into the red zone). Make sure you have the repeat turned on unless you have a very large music library. Otherwise it will auto-shutoff when it finished playing everything on your player.

This is going to take several hours (15-24), so I’d probably start it in the afternoon or evening, and then check on it the next morning.

Running 'till empty (or nearly so) and then re-charging it may re-calibrate the charge indicator (battery icon).

I know this applies to mobile phones, but I’m not sure if this applies to the Fuze. It might take four times discharging the Fuze’s battery all the way and recharging it to 100% full may be needed to get rid of the battery’s “memory”. Over time (and from testing the battery), the battery forms a “memory” of how it is charged and discharged. If you let it discharge to 50% then charge it back up too many times, it might think it is on low battery at 50% instead when it is actually 50% charged. Or at least that’s my understanding. I could be wrong, but I’d recommend doing Tapeworm’s suggestion several times just to be safe.

@pikidalto wrote:
I know this applies to mobile phones, but I’m not sure if this applies to the Fuze. It might take four times discharging the Fuze’s battery all the way and recharging it to 100% full may be needed to get rid of the battery’s “memory”. Over time (and from testing the battery), the battery forms a “memory” of how it is charged and discharged.

Pikidalto

This used to be the case with Ni-Cad batteries, but thankfully technology has advanced nad the Fuze uses a Lithium-Polymer battery that does not suffer this malady. In fact, frequent ‘top-ups’ are actually preferred over the long deep charging cycle. Even the e200 series used Lithiun-Ion batteries, and these too did not suffer from ‘memory set’.

Having said that though, it is good to do this deep charge cycle every once in a while to re-calibrate the meter, as it can get out of sync. Maybe every couple of months or so. :smiley:

@pikidalto wrote:
I know this applies to mobile phones, but I’m not sure if this applies to the Fuze. It might take four times discharging the Fuze’s battery all the way and recharging it to 100% full may be needed to get rid of the battery’s “memory”. Over time (and from testing the battery), the battery forms a “memory” of how it is charged and discharged.

Pikidalto

This used to be the case with Ni-Cad batteries, but thankfully technology has advanced and the Fuze uses a Lithium-Polymer battery that does not suffer this malady. In fact, frequent ‘top-ups’ are actually preferred over the long deep charging cycle. Even the e200 series used Lithiun-Ion batteries, and these too did not suffer from ‘memory set’.

Having said that though, it is good to do this deep charge cycle every once in a while to re-calibrate the meter, as it can get out of sync. Maybe every couple of months or so. :smiley:

Now I can consider myself a bit more educated :robotvery-happy: Anyways, being a person that has almost literally no money makes it hard to keep up with these thigns, so any education in the area helps (especially since I consider myself a computer expert in training :robotvery-happy: