Can't get WMA files to play

Just loaded up a pile of music in various formats onto my wife’s player and was very surprised that several albums would not play. Just checked and the ones that won’t play are WMA files. Very surprised about this .

Anyone any ideas??

WMA Pro is not a supported format, only regular .wma files.

Could be a lot of reasons. They could be DRM protected, WMA Pro, WMA Voice, etc. See if WMP will tell you anything weird about them (strange codec, encryption, etc).

WMA Pro (or Lossless) is not a supported format, only regular .wma files.

I have had a look at the files in Windows media player and there does seem to be anything special said about the format. foobar 2000 gives a format as WMA V9. files play quite happily in WMP, Win amp and foobar so very puzzled.

What is the bit-rate of these files? If it is over 192kbps it’s WMA Pro and won’t play on your Zip.

@tapeworm wrote:

What is the bit-rate of these files? If it is over 192kbps it’s WMA Pro and won’t play on your Zip.

I’m afraid that’s not true.  WMA  VBR at the highest quality setting can go up to nearly 400kbps…I have several albums that were sent to me in one of my many player trades that are in the high 370’s:dizzy_face: and they did play in the regular Sansa firmware, although they sucked the living daylights out of the battery…lol.

@marvin_martian wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

I’m afraid that’s not true.  WMA  VBR at the highest quality setting can go up to nearly 400kbps…I have several albums that were sent to me in one of my many player trades that are in the high 370’s:dizzy_face: and they did play in the regular Sansa firmware, although they sucked the living daylights out of the battery…lol.

True enough, Marvin. I was going by the highest WMA rip setting in WMP for CBR files. The highest rip setting for VBR in WMP is 240-355kbps.

At any rate, if the bit-rate is higher than this, like 470-940kbps then it’s the PRO format which is not supported by this (or any) SanDisk player. The confusion lies in both format (regular & pro) using the same .wma file extension.

If you go to properties of the file in Windows explorer, what does it say for “audio codec”?

One method is to convert WMA to a more supported audio format like MP3.

Here is just a step by step guide onhow to convert WMA to MP3