Can't format card? Need Help?

Good evening. :cry: I’m new here and came to address an issue. Btw, I posted this issue on another site because I strongly need some assistance.

I’ve tried:
* Formatting with SD Formatter (says memory card is “write-protected”)
* Formatting on Windows (PC) and Blackberry
* The “My Computer>Manage>Disk Management/Changing Path and Volume” method

I have a 4GB SanDisk MicroSD for a Blackberry Curve 8900, yet its capacity shows up as 1.30 TB on the computer, which is impossible. I’m pissed at myself because the card was working on Mass Storage Mode earlier (should’ve backed up the files), and I think yanking out the USB cable (from phone to computer) literally screwed my chances of seeing my data again. Smfh!

I seriously need help because I’m trying to do a normal/quick format successfully so I can recover all or at least most personal photos and videos that were/are on it. Something like a HDD Low-Level Format is NOT an option.

Did any of you ever had this issue? I’m quite worried.

Can anyone recommend any software (both free and commercial) and options to:
* Normally Format my card without ruining my changes of recovering data
* Recover my data after formatting?

--------------------------------------…

P.S. - Please, if your answer is that I’m SOL, do not post it because I’ll start feeling pissed and upset at myself. If you have any good suggestions, I beg you to post them and will thank you greatfully.

My last resort is going to a professional in the next 10 years when I have a nice income (yeah, I’m almost 18).

Have you tried the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool?

A 4GB card should be formatted as FAT32. Good Luck! :smiley:

I just tried it and it says “Volume is too big for the selected system”. Don’t forget that my mircoSD card is really 4GB, but the computer thinks it’s 1.3TB. Crazy right? How do I fix this?!!!

Maybe try to format as NTFS, and then FAT32?

Too many format attempts by too many systems. imho

I have to format to FAT32! Then after that, I need to recover files. I’ve NEVER had a successful format. I’m unable to format the card so far. SDFormatted said it’s “write-protected”, so I’m unsure if it’s just on “read-only” mode. I’m using “Mass Storage Mode” on my Blackberry and the computer in able to detect the card inside this phone, just not properly.

Seriously,  I have a 4GB Sandisk microSD card, and the computer think that it’s 1.30 TB large!! That’s BS!

I’m not sure if I have a card adapter. Is there a way to fix this issue without a card adapter? Is the card faulty?

Yep. It should be FAT32 if you wish to format your Sandisk flaskdisk. There is also an option called Restore device defaults. You could also try that as well. It works like restore factory settings.

There’s a tip in this thread: http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Cruzer-flash-drives-Solid-State/i-might-have-destroyed-my-4gb-flash-drive/td-p/235732 for how to format a USB device.  Maybe it can help.

“Yep. It should be FAT32 if you wish to format your Sandisk flaskdisk. There is also an option called Restore device defaults. You could also try that as well. It works like restore factory settings.” - warriorfullight 

Really? How and where exactly do I complete this process? Will I still be able to recover my files after the restore?

BTW Ed_P, I checked the thread and it’s similar to what I’ve been trying to do before. I right-clicked for the “New Volume” option, and no such option appeared. Do they mean Shrink/Delete/Extend Volume? I can’t do any of those 3 either because those options are faded and the computer won’t let me.

Hello? I still need advice… =(

Here’s the pic of the card (sorry for the mirrored photo and quality). Look at the 2nd card to the right. The spot where it says “4GB” got slightly scratched off. I was trying to take the card out of my phone’s poorly built microSD slot, and some of the white print came off. Could this be a possible reason why the computer isn’t reading it correctly? Besides this one little flaw, the rest of the card looks physically fine (both front and back). I looked at online pictures of microSDs for comparison.

Hello? Should I readdress this issue?

_"_I’ve tried:
* Formatting with SD Formatter (says memory card is “write-protected”)
* Formatting on Windows (PC) and Blackberry
* The “My Computer>Manage>Disk Management/Changing Path and Volume” method

I have a 4GB SanDisk MicroSD for a Blackberry Curve 8900, yet its capacity shows up as 1.30 TB on the computer, which is impossible. I’m pissed at myself because the card was working on Mass Storage Mode earlier (should’ve backed up the files), and I think yanking out the USB cable (from phone to computer) literally screwed my chances of seeing my data again. Smfh!

I seriously need help because I’m trying to do a normal/quick format successfully so I can recover all or at least most personal photos and videos that were/are on it. Something like a HDD Low-Level Format is NOT an option.

Did any of you ever had this issue? I’m quite worried.

Can anyone recommend any software (both free and commercial) and options to:
* Normally Format my card without ruining my changes of recovering data
* Recover my data after formatting?"

It is possible the tight fit removal damaged the device beyond repair.  It’s also possible that the tight fit implies that the card wasn’t designed for the phone slot.  Unfortunately I don’t know what you can do at this point.  It may end up being an expensive lesson learned to back up important files to more than one device.

What do you mean it wasn’t designed for the phone slot? The phone supports microSD and has a slot for it. It worked before, but it’s not working now. I went to file management and it says the card’s file system is “RAW”, which means it’s broken (as I’ve been told). I don’t know how to fix this!!

if the card failes to format or shows a RAW file system that is usually an indication that the card is bad. that said there are a few things you should check. the labled capacity has scratched or worn off. this usually is a sign that the card is a fake. where did you buy the card? if it is fake you would need to seek refund from the seller. you can always contact sandisk support to confirm authenticity of the card. 

I have a ScanDisc 4 GB and I want to format it to FAT32 in order to see pictures on my VIZEO TV  How do I reformat itl

It should already be formatted to FAT32.

Otherwise, you can insert it into a card reader, connect to your computer and in Windows Explorer right-click on the drive and Select Format.

@Drlucky - I don’t know anything about the card’s origin. Someone actually got it for me. It’s quite awkward how the card could possibly be fake. Aren’t several cards made like this though? As soon as I get the data from the card (if able), I’m disposing of it.

@Luap29 - It’s upsetting…I know.

@Tapeworm - How do I format to FAT32? I’ve addressed this problem in a few more forums and there’s a good amount of methods and softwares out there, but I’m trying to seek them all. I currently to not have any SD adapters, and my computer doens’t have any card readers, so I guess I’ll have to try something else until I get a super mastermind computer and a SD adapter.

I need some more suggestions. :O

Many printers now days have SD readers built in.

You said:

“As soon as I get the data from the card (if able), I’m disposing of it.”

and

“How do I format to FAT32?”,

in that formating will deleted all the files you may as well dispose of it now.

@theblkrev wrote:

@tapeworm - How do I format to FAT32?

I was actually addressing Luap29 who horned in on your thread. :wink: