Can't Connect Via Wi-Fi

*Sigh*

I’m new to these threads - please excuse me.  I just bought the Sansa Connect today, and I am a bit disappointed.  I cannot connect to my wireless network.  The player can see my network - “linksys”, but simply states it cannot connect to this network.  Of course it would be too convenient for the device to tell me the reason it cannot connect…  I also own a Nintendo Wii, which supports my wireless network just fine.  I even double-checked it, and was able to browse through Google without any problems.  My wi-fi network is open - so no passwords. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I’m wondering if anyone else had to make any manual changes to their wireless network.  Thanks so much for your time.

Sincerely,

MusicLover

You probably checked this but it sounds like the same behavior I’ve seen where MAC address filtering was enabled on the router…sees the open network but says “can’t connect”.

Not sure what your router keeps for logs, but you might want to look there for clues …

What linksys model do you have? I can test with open authentication tonight on mine, but I haven’t seen any problems with linksys routers.

You really should use WPA security. Authentication and Encyption are a must for me.

What step below do you see the problem?

Q: What are the steps that the Connect performs when connecting to a WiFi network?

A: There are typically three steps when the Connect starts WiFi.

1. FINDING NETWORKS – Available networks are identified and presented. You can select an available network or choose ‘hidden network’ (if you know the SSID of a hidden network). When you successfully connect to network, the network name and password is saved in the ‘PREFERRED NETWORKS’ list. If a Preferred Network is available, the Connect will automatically select it and send the password information to connect to it.

2. CONNECTING TO NETWORK – the Connect is authenticating and associating with the WiFi network access point. If the Connect completes this step, then you know the security settings are compatible, the password was correct and you successfully connected to the access point. If you fail this step but connected to this network before, delete the network from the ‘PREFERRED NETWORKS’ list so you can manually enter the password (as something might have changed since it was last saved).

3. CHECKING NETWORK – the Connect is testing network connectivity beyond the wireless access point and verifying the Zing service network is reachable. If the connection fails during this step then there is a problem with the access point internet connection or the access point diverts the connection to a ‘terms of use agreement’ web page. Some hotspots divert to a terms of use agreement web page which the Connect cannot accept.

*sigh of relief*

First, I must apologize for clogging up this post due to my my lack of patience.  I was simply frustrated that my brand new player wouldn’t connect!  I restarted my router and was able to connect fine. (Yes, I know…why didn’t I think of that first??)  Still not sure as to why my Nintendo Wii was still able to connect wi-fi while the Sansa couldn’t.  But that’s probably due to my lack of network knowledge. 

Thanks so much for everyone’s posts.  Really, I appreciate it.  I just think it’s great that some people are willing to take time out of their busy schedule to help the "frustrated " with problems. 

THANKS!!!

MusicLover