Cannot transfer music to Sansa Connect

I am trying to copy some of my music directly into My Computer\Sansa Connect\Internal Memory\Music

I keep getting this error “The device has either stopped respondng or has been disconnected.”

Any ideas on what is wrong?

What type of music files are you transferring which trigger this message?

Have you tried using Yahoo! Music Jukebox, or Windows Media Player to transfer these songs? 

and last…

Do you have the latest firmware running on your Sansa Connect?  The latest version is 1.0.1.27236

-ML

Prefer not to use WMP or Yahoo.  I am trying to transfer some mp3s.  The version I have is 1.1.150239

Is there more to the error message? The folder probably contains files not supported for MTP transfer to the connect>internal>music folder.

I ripped some albums and found some of the folders contained a desktop.ini file. I get this error when trying to transfer because of that unsupported file:

" Cannot Copy desktop.ini: The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected."

You get an option to ‘skip’ that song or ‘skip all’ unsupported files. If you skip it…all the music files and album art will transfer. But the album art won’t dislpay if you don’t use WMP or YMJ to tranfer the albums.

Message Edited by Greig on 12-05-2007 01:12 PM

Message Edited by Greig on 12-05-2007 01:12 PM

iso13, 1.1.1.50239 is the latest OS, and 1.1.1.50371 is the latest firmware available, so no need to attempt an update.  As Greig mentioned, the message you get, “Cannot copy file <filename>, The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected” is triggered when an attempt is made to copy non supported file types.  In your case, you shouldn’t be getting that message for regular MP3 files.  Can you confirm that this happens with MP3 files, and not other files (ie. .ini files in Greig’s case)? 

Browsing other Digital Audio Player forums, I’ve read of cases just like this happening with devices other than the Sansa Connect.  What I’d recommend is to make sure that you have your Windows Media Player up to date.  This application is bundled with MTP.  MTP (media transfer protocol) is the protocol which allows you to connect your device to your PC to transfer files.  You can check which version of WMP you have by launching the application and right clicking on the top of the window.  Select “help>about Windows Media Player”.  Version 11 is the latest version.  If you don’t have this version, visit the www.microsoft.com/downloads to get the latest version. 

Out of curiosity, does this happen with all of your MP3 files?  Have you ever been able to drag and drop an MP3 file to your device without seeing this message?

Let me know if this helps.

-ML

Message Edited by music_legend on 12-05-2007 01:38 PM

Yea, I have never been able to just drag and drop.  I used the sync capabilities with WMP 11.0 and it works for the mp3s that I was trying to just drag and drop.

I have noticed when you sync, it sets up a file structure

My Computer\Sansa Connect\Internal Memory\Music\Artist\Album*.mp3

which is a kind of pain when you are trying to create your own playlist.

So, you guys are not seeing this issue?

No. Just what I noted. Can you screen shot the error?

iso13,

I came across a forum thread for another MP3 device in which the user was attempting to drap MP3s to his player’s “music” folder using Windows Explorer.  This user was getting the same message you were getting, but then attempted to drag and drop the MP3s to the player’s main directory, instead of the “music” directory.  This worked for the user.  It may be worth trying on your device since it’s not that hard to do.

-  Navigate to “My Computer–>Sansa Connect–>Internal Memory”

-  Try draggin the MP3s to the device.  DO NOT try dragging the files to the “music” directory as you have in the past. 

Other users on the same forum are mentioning that there may have been a file corruption within their Music folder.  By deleting all of the contents in their music folder, and then the music folder itself, they were able to clear their device of any corruption…  The music folder was recreated, and they were then able to drag and drop files to the music folder. 

These are somethings you can try to get the drag and drop to work via Windows Explorer. 

Here is a link to the forum thread I’m referring to: http://www.mobileplanet.com/ft.aspx?k=83373

By any chance, did you format your device using YMJ, WMP, Windows Explorer, etc in the past?

-ML

Don’t know about the previous user, but I am unable to copy files (or folders) directly to the device, as you suggested.

I did remove all the files, and then deleted the Music folder, as suggested, and the Music folder appears to have re-created itself, as you said. However, I am still having problems moving some files or folders into that directory. Using Windows Explorer, I cannot copy files directly to the Device (the “Internal Memory”, I’m assuming?) the way you suggested. I just purchased my Sansa Connect yesterday, and it looks like a really neat little gadget, but if I can’t organize my music the way I want, it’s absolutely worthless to me.

Any help?

I’m using Windows XP Pro w/ SP2 on my PC, btw…

Thanks for the tips and help so far.

Are you getting an error message? if so, what is it?

repeat of my earlier post…

Is there more to the error message? The folder probably contains files not supported for MTP transfer to the connect>internal>music folder.

I ripped some albums and found some of the folders contained a desktop.ini file. I get this error when trying to transfer because of that unsupported file:

" Cannot Copy desktop.ini: The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected."

You get an option to ‘skip’ that song or ‘skip all’ unsupported files. If you skip it…all the music files and album art will transfer. But the album art won’t dislpay if you don’t use WMP or YMJ to tranfer the albums.

I am getting no other error message other than “The device has stopped responding…” blah blah blah…

I ran into the desktop.ini and the thumbs.db error, so before I started transferring all 3G of music files, I deleted all files within the folders that were not either mp3 or wma files. There should be no problem trying to copy a file.

I’m sure someone will tell me to “Run the recovery tool…” But what good is a stupid mp3 player that has to be “recovered” every other day? Who designed this product…Microsoft?!

It’s not a license issue…It’s a simple issue of the Sansa Connect just deciding that it doesn’t want to play with Windows anymore so it stops responding.

This really sucks…I paid over $100 for this piece of crap, and my little $50 no-name player works better than this!

This rots…

Try it on another PC, to eliminate your PC (and most likely your install of MTP) as the source of the problem.

I had the same problem with a refurbished m250.  I went to menu->settings->usb->MSC Mode and that fixed it.

m250_owner wrote:
I had the same problem with a refurbished m250.  I went to menu->settings->usb->MSC Mode and that fixed it.

Given that the Connect doesn’t have MSC mode, that probably won’t help.

Shubes, did you check everything music_legend mentioned in his post?  The Connect’s older firmwares had intermittent USB connection issues on some computers.  However, if you’ve already run the recovery tool at some point, you should be up to date.  If you haven’t…  rest assured you usually don’t ever need to it more than once.  It’s also the only way to update the firmare if you can’t connect to wifi.

Message Edited by kennyj on 03-06-2008 01:44 PM

What firmware version is on your player?

Current is ZAP 1.1.1.50371r

Have you ever run the Recovery Tool?

I’m trying put music on my Sansa Connect and when I try to sync it, it just sits at 1% until it finally gives up and stops.  Got any idea’s?

@_john_lewis wrote:

I’m trying put music on my Sansa Connect and when I try to sync it, it just sits at 1% until it finally gives up and stops.  Got any idea’s?

You must be using Windows Media Player?  What you describe sounds familiar; I think it used to happen to me with other players.  Try reinstalling WMP.  A test might be to try a different music manager, such as MediaMonkey or Yahoo Jukebox, and see if you get the same behavior.

If that doesn’t work, reset your Connect and give it another shot.  If that doesn’t work, update the Connect’s firmware.

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 04-02-2008 11:44 AM

i can put music, videos, pics, etc. on my connect, but the next time i connect it to my computer, my computer can’t locate it and it freezes up for a few minutes. the only way i can put new music on is if reset the sansa and put everything on there again. halp!

Try reinstalling WMP on your computer.  If that doesn’t work, try (re-)installing the latest firmware onto your Connect.