Can not get beyond "Not enough space..." - can not reset, reformat, etc.

I’ve had my Clip+ for about two years now, so I’m familiar with some of the quirks it has.   I recently updated to the most current firmware and music files played fine after that.

At some point in recent months I noticed that if I plugged in the unit on my work PC then I’d get the message on the PC that the disk needed to be formatted in order to use.   I would click no ignore it.  (I plugged it in at work sometimes just to recharge, not for file management.)  I would always do the Eject before unplugging.  On my home MacBook is where I would put on music, etc.  It would always connect fine.

I recently got a new microSD card to replace the one that popped out and disappeared months ago.  I inserted it into the Clip+ and plugged the Clip+ into my work PC, just to see if the PC would recognize the new card.

This is where the details get fuzzy.  I believe I got distracted at work with something else (clicking around a billion windows/tabs) and next thing I knew I heard the “ding” of the “Needs to be formatted” dialog box.  I must have clicked on it without realizing it because eventually I noticed a window showing my Clip+ and card, although both were listed as empty.   I was a bit annoyed that I mistakenly erased my music, but I was fine with that in the long run if it meant a smoother overall Clip+.

I disconnected the unit and encountered the dreaded “Not enough space for music DB. Please free 90MB” message.  But this time I was unable to get past it.  

• Re-connecting it to the PC (with or without holding the center button) does nothing new.

- Re-connecting it to the Mac (with or without holding the center button) does nothing new.

• holding down the power button for 20+ seconds does nothing of significance. 

• if I button mash it during the start up part I can sometimes get the “refreshing your media” screen, but it always contains a blank progress bar.  It doesn’t seem to auto power down from that screen, so I left it on all night in order to deplete the battery.  

• sometimes when I turn it on now I get the low battery / shut down screens.

• If I connect it to the PC (with or without holding the center button) then I just get the “not enough space” message. 

What else can I try?  If it were recogonized by the PC/Mac I’d try to reformat again.    Did I brick it?  Do i need to spend $55 on another one?  (I’d still prefer another Clip+ over the Zip.)

Not sure what else you can try but have you tried rolling this back to it’s previous firmware version?

And how would I go about rolling back to a previous firmware?

The Clip+ is not recognized as a disk by Mac/PC.  There is no way to move files onto it.

You can find a repository of the earlier firmware versions at the Clip forum at anythingbutipod.com.  Simply reapply the firmware you download, to “roll back” to an earlier firmware version.  (Instructions on how to install the firmware can be found in the firmware upgrade sticky thread at the top of the forum here.)  

@stinky wrote:

The Clip+ is not recognized as a disk by Mac/PC.  There is no way to move files onto it.

The Clips indeed are seen as a drive, and files can be moved onto them, when the Clips’ USB mode (under Settings) is set to MSC mode.  This is, in fact, needed for a Mac.  

I believe there was something mssed here. Stinky has already said (more than once) that neither a PC or Mac will recognize their Clip+. It’s impossible to roll back to a previous firmware in this state.

@stinky wrote:

_ The Clip+ is not recognized as a disk by Mac/PC.  _ There is no way to move files onto it.

However, rolling back to a previous firmware, even if they could is unlikely to solve anything, as there is nothing wrong with the latest version. If it is corrupted on the player, simply re-applying the same version would correct any anomalies. There’s no reason to go backwards.

Stinky , have you tried taking the MicroSD card out of the card slot and then turning the player on or connecting to your computer? Seems like the problems began immediately after you got a new card, is that right? It just might be defective or counterfeit and has corrupted your firmware or is somehow causing issues.

Actually, what he said is that the player is not recognized “as a disK”–hence, my suggestion to make sure that the player’s USB mode, inder the player’s Settings, is set to MSC mode.  

@miikerman wrote:

Actually, what he said is that the player is not recognized “as a disK”–hence, my suggestion to make sure that the player’s USB mode, inder the player’s Settings, is set to MSC mode.  

Ah, I now see where you were going with this thought. :flushed:

The fact that MSC mode allows the computer to see the player as any other ‘drive’ (aka ‘disk’), vs. MTP mode (or the dreaded Auto Defect mode) where one’s computer sees it as a musical device which must be ‘managed’.

It’s hard to interpret another’s thoughts simply be reading the printed words they type. A word or phrase may indicate one thing to one, but may mean or refer to a completely different thing to another. We’ll have to wait for clarification from Stinky as to his meaning of the word “disk” to know if this is what he meant, or if he was simply referring to his device in general. :confounded:

1. Yes, I have tried using it without the newer sd card in it, no difference.  (btw, the card is fine, and has been used elsewhere).

2. I believe there were troubles with the device before the apparently bricking happened.  But since I’ve been using it for so long I didn’t really notice gradual changes.  For example, it never said “disconnected” when I would disconnect it from the PC.    And it would take a long time (20 sec?) to start up. 

2.5) I believe something went wrong when I mistakenly reformatted the Clip+.  Maybe I interrupted the format process somehow? 

1. At this point I think it’s hopeless.  I can not change it to another mode.   As soon as I turn it on it gives me the error.  (Or it gives me Low Battery, but plugging it in soon causes the mentioned error.)   

2. I finally gave up and got a new/cheap one via amazon for about $30.   Yes, I know the Zip is out now, but I like the screen of the Clip+.  However, sadly (and some of you may see this coming…), the radio on this unit is awful.  It is all screechy and the reception is terrible (yes, I’m using the same headphones as before).  I now understand this is a common problem, and now I’m ready to smash this new unit into the wall.

3. The 32GB card I mentioned above works fine on the new Clip+ (plus, the whole experience seems faster/better, except for the radio, which I use a lot of). 

If there are any other suggestions on how to save the beloved older Clip+ let me know.  Otherwise I will soon hold a funeral for it and sadly bury it in my backyard. 

Occasionally I still pick up the seemingly bricked unit and fruitlessly try to get it working again.   

It continues to just taunt me with the “Not enough space” message.  

So sad.