C200 version2 Latest Firmware Installation Instructions; 03.02.05

Does anybody have a link to an earlier c200v2 firmware?

I tried to install rockbox on my c250 with the 03.02.05A Sansa firmware currently installed. The sansapatcher app kept on giving me error messages as follows:

[ERR]  No E200s or C200s found, aborting

[ERR]  Please connect your sansa and ensure it is in UMS mode

[ERR]  Also ensure that your Sansa’s main partition is not mounted.

[ERR]  Please refer to the Rockbox manual if you continue to have problems.

I had the thing connected in MSC (UMS) mode when I began, and I tried to unmount (eject) the main partition and start over. Are these errors to be expected when  trying to install in this way? If so, is there another way?

In the back of my mind, I remember something about installing in recovery mode, placing some low-level firmware file on the 16MB partition, but I don’t remember if this was on a v2 or if it involved Rockbox.

Incidentally, the C200’s all connect in MSC mode on my Mac without my having to do anything special. However, at least with the c250 v2 that I’m writing about here, I can’t connect in MTP mode using XNJB, the MTP utility. The device not only connects in MSC mode when I plug it in, but if I eject it the C250 reconnects itself as a drive before I get a chance to remove the cable, so I’m always getting warning messages about improperly disconnecting it.

Aside from these problems concerning MTP and Rockbox, this particular Sansa is working fine.

Message Edited by aarons510 on 12-05-2009 01:42 AM

I have been trying to use a memory card in my mp3 player and it just keeps getting frozen at refreshing database. so i’ve tried to download the firmware but the program i am downloading is not opening. its just called C200PA.BIN and when i click on it, it says can’t find a program to open it. what can i do?

You transfer the .bin (binary) file directly to the root (top) directory of your device while connected to the computer in MSC mode. When you un-plug from the computer, this file will activate and update the firmware.

Full instructions are in the 1st post of this thread.

I have a C250 2gb unit.  Added a 2gb MicroSD. Firmware according to displayed info is V 03.02.05A. 

Is there a way to use my MicroSD as an extension of the internal drive ? Or am I stuck using a seperate synch list and viewing it as seperate device entirely ?  Seem kind of ridiculous to have an external storage spot if it is going to be listed as a seperate device.

Stiletto wrote:

I have a C250 2gb unit.  Added a 2gb MicroSD. Firmware according to displayed info is V 03.02.05A. 

Is there a way to use my MicroSD as an extension of the internal drive ? Or am I stuck using a seperate synch list and viewing it as seperate device entirely ?  Seem kind of ridiculous to have an external storage spot if it is going to be listed as a seperate device.

Your player will seek, find and play files from either memory location seamlessly, but your computer will always see the combo as 2 separate memory storage areas, which they in fact are. So yes, that means you have to sync, or otherwise load each memory space separately.

Ridiculuous? Not really. Logical? Most definitely.

2 years ago in message 6 bernz said: “All c240s are v1 hardware and require v1-firmware.”

Like the later poster, I don’t understand.  The Sansa team that posted this thread said that it applies to C240 v2 hardware.  My hardware has “Made in China model c240 v2” printed on the battery cover on the back.  Are you saying that both the production line that created the hardware and the Sansa team are mistaken, and there is no c240 v2?

My hardware is running the V03.02.05A firmware, and although I’m annoyed that it doesn’t have a USB menu and I have to give it the 3 finger salute (switch hold to orange, push rewind, connect USB cable) to get it to connect in storage mode (what genius programmed it that way?), it otherwise works fine.   So you are saying that the V3 firmware works properly on c240 v1 hardware?

It would be nice if Sandisk would release a newer firmware that put the USB menu back in, but I guess that’s too much to hope for.

Message Edited by Dave95 on 08-05-2010 06:06 AM

@dave95 wrote:

2 years ago in message 6 bernz said: “All c240s are v1 hardware and require v1-firmware.”

Like the later poster, I don’t understand.  The Sansa team that posted this thread said that it applies to C240 v2 hardware.  My hardware has “Made in China model c240 v2” printed on the battery cover on the back.  Are you saying that both the production line that created the hardware and the Sansa team are mistaken, and there is no c240 v2?

Your theory is that some guy who says hes never used a V2 Sansa and doesn’t know anything about them knows more about V2 sansas then the people who made them?  Some theory you came up with :slight_smile:

@dave95 wrote:

My hardware is running the V03.02.05A firmware, and although I’m annoyed that it doesn’t have a USB menu and I have to give it the 3 finger salute (switch hold to orange, push rewind, connect USB cable) to get it to connect in storage mode (what genius programmed it that way?), it otherwise works fine.   So you are saying that the V3 firmware works properly on c240 v1 hardware?

It would be nice if Sandisk would release a newer firmware that put the USB menu back in, but I guess that’s too much to hope for.

Message Edited by Dave95 on 08-05-2010 06:06 AM

Nice and simple. There are 2 hardware versions of the C200 series, V1 and V2. There are 2 firmware versions for the C200 series, starting with 01 or with 03. The V1 players use 01 firmware only. The V2 players use 03 firmware only. The firmware is hardware dependant, so only the correct one will work. The player version differences are due to changes in the hardware, so they require the correct firmware. Got It?

The firmware install instructions seem to be wrong. Lines 3 - 5 - when you hold the ‘rewind’ button and plug the Sansa into a PC, nothing at all happens.

Line 5 says to release the ‘hold’ button, but lines 1 - 4 don’t mention anything about pushing the ‘hold’ button to begin with. 

Line 6 indicates downloading 2 attached files.  I clicked the link for Americas firmware and only got 1 file.

All-in-all, I never got to MSC mode, “Sansa C200 (E)” never came up.  My Sansa still does not work at all.  Not even detected by Windows 7 or the Sansa updater.  Please help!

thanks. everything worked perfect just the way you said. dowloaded the firmware and when i dropped it to my c250 device, unplugged my player, turned it back on, the player said something like “firmware upgrade completed” on the screen.

when i plug it back into the computer, it still won’t show. do i need to repeat the hold-left process everytime i connect?

My c250 somehow got changed to another language. I have updated the firmware for my c250 and it said it was successful. However, the language is still in Arabic or something similar. Since I cannot read it to choose menu options, I cannot figure out how to reset it to English. Only the Goodbye graphic is in English. Can anyone help?

@mrsmileyface wrote:

[To] install the firmware […] Simply d** ownload the 2 attached files.**

There are no attachments to this post… ?!  :cry:

@christuserloser wrote:

@mrsmileyface wrote:

[To] install the firmware […] Simply d** ownload the 2 attached files.**

There are no attachments to this post… ?!  :cry:

You have to click on the links a little further up in the post. Make you you download the one appropriate to your geographical location. The firmware will be in a .zip (compressed) file. You’ll have to extract (or de-compress) the file. Once extracted, you should have 2 files. Then just follow the rest of the directions to update the firmware.

*edit* Ooops replied to wrong thread!

This message was originally meant to be about the shuffle mode not working properly when the device turns off.

I’ve had this problem for a long while.

Wrote a blog post about it too.

Contacted them about the issue yesterday. Lets see what happens.

Can you please repost the instructions to get my c240 recognized by Windows7? 

You have numbered instructions and they are obviously incorrect? 

You mention a record button release but you did not mention pushing the record button.  I think it could be key to getting my Sansa recognized ???  Help please

Could someone post the meaning of the incomplete instruction to release record button???  Instructions are incorrect or incomplete???  Is this thread active?  Mod team have you left the stage??  Help???

If you do not have a v2, do NOT upgrade your firmware to this version! This could render your player useless!

Download the firmware by clicking on the links below. Be sure to select the region you are in for full compatibility.

AMERICAS & PACIFIC REGION - 3.02.05a for Americas

EUROPE (No FM) - 3.02.05e for Europe without FM

EUROPE (FM) - 3.02.05f for Europe with FM

The install the firmware, we will first need to put the device in MSC mode. If needed, we can force MSC mode. To force the c200v2 in to MSC mode

1. Make sure the player is off (if necessary, hold down the power button for 20 seconds to turn it off)
  2. Move the hold switch to ON (move to the right towards the record button).
  3. Hold the rewind button (Left Key)
  4. Connect the player to the computer.
  5. Keep holding the rewind button till the “Sansa C200 (E)*” comes up, then realease the record button.  If the removable disk does not automatically launch, open “My Computer” and check for any additional drives.
  6.  Now you should have a Sansa C200 with a drive letter assigned to it.  Simply download the 2 attached files, then put them onto the removable disk (via drag-and-drop, or copy-and-paste).
  7.  Once that’s done, turn off the hold switch, then unplug the player.  Check if the firmware is udpated.

*Actual drive letter may vary

#5 has a typo; it should read:

“Keep holding the rewind button till the “Sansa C200 (E)*” comes up, then release the record rewind button.”

Thanks, for that update, Tapeworm. 

Of course one cannot update unless recognized and it seems impossible to get C250 v2 recognized.  I have three of these little babies with three cords.  I have multiple computers with XP, Ubuntu, Windows 7 and no computer will recognize these with any cord.  A computer friend tells me it is SanDisk failed to comply with some standardization of USB power requirements so all SanDisk C200 v2 are disabled for connection to a computer.  They work fine standalone but you can only get songs on and off via the Secure Card.  I am looking at other brands to replace my SanDisk.  Too bad as the sound was great.  I just don’t like the secrecy of not telling the customers the truth.  When management makes that kind of decsion, I will never buy anything with their brand on it again!!!  If Microsoft knows why they won’t allow it with their operating system, then SanDisk knows too!  Just tell us and I would have more respect.  Surely this is not a Japanese firm?  I hope not.  I thought better of the Japanese work ethic!!

Hello  Guys,  I am writting you from Hungary. I have Sansa C 250 2 GB with softvare 01.01.07F. Do you know whether it is possible somehow put an 8 GB micro SDHD card into my device? I found no clue for this! Thank you for your help in advance!

Adrian