battery problem

Wondering if anyone else had this problem. The battery on my Clip died, conveniently at 1 year and about 4 months. Out of warranty and out of luck. The screen lights and it says “connected” when I plug it into the computer, but it is absolutely dead when unplugged. Sure the warranty is 1 year, but I expected it to last a little longer than that.

The best response I got from Sansa support was a 10% off code, which won’t even cover shipping. Besides, I’m not real anxious to throw more money at a Sansa, since this is my third that has died. Three strikes, you know.

My best hope is that someone has seen this problem and knows of a fix. If not, I’ll buy something else, not Sansa again.

What model Cip is this? The original (round scroll wheel) was plagued with inferior solder connections to the battery resulting in exactly the scenario you describe; connects fine to the computer, but is DOA when unplugged.

Sorry, didn’t realise I left out the model. It’s the Clip Zip. I was happy with the features and the micro-card slot, but I just can’t keep buying something that lasts a little over a year.

Absolutely agree.

Well, it’s sounds like it could be the same problem (disconnected battery terminals) although I’ve never seen that issue reported her regarding the Zip model. Sorry to hear you’re having so many prolems with yours, but I can assure you there are many, many others out there that were bought when they first came out and are still hummiing along quite nicely. Do you subject yours to any unusual or extreme use patterns (bumping, dirty conditions, dropping, etc.)?

1 Like

Nope. In fact it was after a period of relative inactivity. Hadn’t used it in a couple of weeks, and had to reset it to turn it on (pressed power button for 30 seconds). Next time I charged it, it was completely dead after disconnecting. 

@im5049 wrote:

Sorry, didn’t realise I left out the model. It’s the Clip Zip. I was happy with the features and the micro-card slot, but I just can’t keep buying something that lasts a little over a year.

Absolutely agree.

Hi, I have the same problem. Only I bought it in 3/14/13 bought the extended warranty at radio shack . I loaded 1 album on it  and my work place would’nt let me use it so I stuck it in a drawer until 11/22/2014 . tried to turn it on and it would not turn on. So I plugged it in and charged it for 3hrs. It turned on when plugged in but as soon as I unplugged It woul’nt come on . Took it back to radio shack to see if they could change the battery they said it si’nt replaceable. 8 months out of warranty. So I decided to take it apart . The battery was puffed up hard like it was ready to blow up. and one of the wires was disconected. I won’t buy another one . I am not electronics savvy but I thought after spending 39.99 + 17.99 for a warranty I would get more than a year out of it especially when I only used it a couple of times .BuMMed out Guy

@Theartguy wrote:

Hi, I have the same problem. Only I bought it in 3/14/13 bought the extended warranty at radio shack . I loaded 1 album on it  and my work place would’nt let me use it so I stuck it in a drawer until 11/22/2014 . tried to turn it on and it would not turn on. So I plugged it in and charged it for 3hrs. It turned on when plugged in but as soon as I unplugged It woul’nt come on . Took it back to radio shack to see if they could change the battery they said it si’nt replaceable. 8 months out of warranty. So I decided to take it apart . The battery was puffed up hard like it was ready to blow up. and one of the wires was disconected. I won’t buy another one . I am not electronics savvy but I thought after spending 39.99 + 17.99 for a warranty I would get more than a year out of it especially when I only used it a couple of times .BuMMed out Guy

The battery went bad.

But what I don’t understand is, your warranty.  SanDisk provides a 1-year warranty.  You write that you purchased an extended warranty from Radio Shack–I assume that was another year, at least.  If that’s the case, you should have warranty coverage from Radio Shack into at least 2015–in that case, I would go back to Radio Shack/its warranty provider for the warranty coverage that you purchased.

Hello,

first of all, i’m french so maybe i will not be very easy to understand, but i’ll try dto do my best ! :flushed:

Very pleased to find this post ! Because i think i am experiencing the same problem with my zip. Bought some 6 or 7 months ago, it is now impossible to charge.

But as i have lost the original usb cable and i am using another one, i wonder if it could be the reason : is the cable send with the sansa a special one, or should i be able to charge the sansa with any micro-usb cable ?

thank you for your help,

j.

i forgot to indicate : the model is sansa clip zip 4 go !

j.

Any micro-USB cable should work. That’s exactly why SanDisk went with the micro size USB connector on this model; because it’s the new ‘standard’. The previous model (Clip+) had a mini-USB connector/cable.

@jire wrote:

Because i think i am experiencing the same problem with my zip. Bought some 6 or 7 months ago, it is now impossible to charge.

But as i have lost the original usb cable and i am using another one, i wonder if it could be the reason : is the cable send with the sansa a special one, or should i be able to charge the sansa with any micro-usb cable ?

Any micro-USB cable should work. That’s exactly why SanDisk went with the micro size USB connector on this model; because it’s the new ‘standard’. The previous model (Clip+) had a mini-USB connector/cable.

ok, so it is certainly out of order, i will try to contact Sandisk to send it, because luckily it’s still covered by the guarantee…

thanks for your answer !

j.