battery life went to hell. what gives??

I have a Sanza Fuze, 4 GB.   I accidentally let it overcharge a couple of hours.  And now it only holds a two hour charge.   It gets to 3/4s and abruptly stops saying “battery low”.     I feel taken. 

Paul

Have you tried updating/re-loading the firmware? It might just be a software issue. But if not, and its the battery, check warranty by calling SanDisk tech support.

The Fuze’s processor controls battery management, and stops charging when the battery is completely charged.  Overcharging isn’t part of the program.

Try reloading the firmware, and see if the Fuze is recognized properly by your computer.

µsansa

Ok, thanks.  I will try it.  To reload the firmware, reinsert the disk that came with it and attach it by USB cable to the computer?

Here: Updating the Sansa Fuze’s firmware

Thanks Chux.   I will test it and report back whether that fixed it or not.   I didn’t reload, rather updated per your link.    The battery had about 2 hours of life and showed 4/5 full on the battery bar before it would say “battery too low” and shut itself off.    If I can get anything over 4 hours of life, I will consider that a success even though I was getting closer to 15-16 hours before this glich. 

I damaged mine and it now acts like this.

Plugged into a busted USB part which nearly fried it. It was hot as burning coal when I picked it up.

Now it works fine but batt life dropped to 2 hours.

@venerable wrote:

The battery had about 2 hours of life and showed 4/5 full on the battery bar before it would say “battery too low” and shut itself off.

Make sure to leave it plugged for charging as the firmware would not take effect if the unit would just turn off after disconnecting it. I would recommend using the back USB port for sufficient power supplied to the device (this is if you are using a desktop computer).

Chux,

I may haven’t communicated clearly.  What the Fuze did was before I updated the firmware.   I just updated it (and it continued after I was instructed to disconnect from the PC).   Have yet to see how it performs over time.   will follow up and report back.

Paul

Battery life restored.  Firmware update did it.  Thanks Chux et. al.

Glad to hear that fixed it. :wink: