Battery Life

I notieced when I got my sansa fuze new, I pulled it out of the box and I noticed that it was already 3/4 of the way charged so I started using it. It says that it will be working just listeaning to music for 24 hours. Well I noticed that is lasts for about 2 hours from the full charge point and then dies. What is the problem here?

BTW (by the way) it is only 4 day old now.

Be sure you have the latest firmware on the device (1.01.11).  Charge your player for 3-4 hours and test again.  In addition, higher bit rate music will decrease battery life.

Firmware:  http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&thread.id=210

Go Sansa!

Thank you so much for your help.

If you use the player out of box, chances are it wasn’t charged correctly. You should always charge a brand new unit before using it.

Renegade? I remember working on that game. If you’ve played the level Glacier Flying, that was my work… way back in 2002. :) 

it just needs some recharging.

Sansa has a good reputation when it comes to battery life.

HOLY CRAP!!! Aircraftkiller, you work at radio shack…I love your map. Too bad people in renegade forums talk bad about you. :confused: I would be MSwindows.

I really don’t care if they do or not. But anyway, just make sure to charge your unit fully before using it. Factory charge degrades over time and isn’t exactly the best representation of battery life in the unit.

Well the update helped a lot. Like 1000 times better. :slight_smile: Thanks again.

How does the higher bit rate decrease battery life and at what bit rate does this happen at?

Higer bit rate uses more energy and less bit rate uses less energy. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Higher bitrate results in larger files, and more bits that have to be read to play a file. Its a significant issue with disk-based players because the disk is the most power-consuming component. Its likely to be less of an issue with flash-based players because reads don’t require so much power. Probably the LED is the biggest power consumer in the Fuze.

I’ve had my sansa for about a year and the battery cannot be recharged. The Best Buy where I purchased it no longed sells sansa MEP and told me to contact the vendor.  Where would I buy a battery, or should I send the sansa back to the manufacturer?

Thanks

Arvy 

@bdb wrote:
Higher bitrate results in larger files, and more bits that have to be read to play a file. Its a significant issue with disk-based players because the disk is the most power-consuming component. Its likely to be less of an issue with flash-based players because reads don’t require so much power. Probably the LED is the biggest power consumer in the Fuze.

Good analysis.  I think also the CPU has to work harder to decompress the higher bitrate files.  The CPU’s on most, if not all, mp3 players have software-selectable clock speeds.  This is all done automatically by the firmware, so it is invisible to the user.  The longer the CPU can be kept at a lower clock speed, the less heat it will generate, and thus consume less power.