Any way to save this recording?!

Last night I was recording something rather important on the voice recorder of my e2xxR, when it suddenly fell and the battery fell out.  The recording is still there, titled “TRACK000” and 137 mb big, but nothing plays during it.  Is it lost for good? :frowning:

Get an audio editor that supports RAW and import it as a raw file.  IIRC the sample rate setting should be 22kHz and the bits per sample 16.

Erm… how do I convert the wav file to RAW, how do I check whatever IIRC sample rate is and kHz and bps, etc., and would Adobe Soundbooth be able to do all this?

Anyone?

@rpvee wrote:

Erm… how do I convert the wav file to RAW, how do I check whatever IIRC sample rate is and kHz and bps, etc., and would Adobe Soundbooth be able to do all this?

IIRC stands for “If I remember correctly”

As far as the rest I don’t know. I would have gueesed it’s gone and no way to retrieve it.

:frowning:

Sorry, but does ANYONE have ANY ideas?  PLEASE, I really need this recording!!!

There’s a free audio editing program called Audacity. There are others as well (you can Google “Free Audio Editor”). You can use it along with the suggestions made by saratoga earlier in the thread to see if you can save it.

I have Audacity.  I’m trying to import it, but I get a message saying:

Audacity recognized the type of file ‘TRACK000.WAV’.

Importers supposedly supporting such files are:

WAV, AIFF, and other uncompressed types, FFmpeg-compatible files, but none of them understood this file format.

:cry:

Ok, I imported it into Audacity as a raw file, and it worked and I have the audio. However, out of the 2+ hours I recorded, only about half is there. It’s also sped up and at a really high pitch, but I can’t tell how much to change the speed to make it right again.

Where is the rest?

@rpvee wrote:

Ok, I imported it into Audacity as a raw file, and it worked and I have the audio. However, out of the 2+ hours I recorded, only about half is there. It’s also sped up and at a really high pitch, but I can’t tell how much to change the speed to make it right again.

Where is the rest?

???

Well unless the player deleted the data, there must be some way to retrieve it and save it.

@rpvee wrote:

Well unless the player deleted the data, there must be some way to retrieve it and save it.

CNET has a long list of recovery software that may help.  Some are used for corrupt and/or deleted files and drive failures.

http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0.html?query=audio+recovery&tag=srch&searchtype=downloads&filterName=platform%3DWindows%2CWebware&filter=platform%3DWindows%2CWebware

Then which program would I use, and how would I apply it to the Sansa?

The e200 makes a sound recording by sampling the audio signal from the microphone thousands of times per second, storing this measurement temporarily in memory, then writing this stream of measured values as a PCM (wav) file. If power is interrupted, the stored blocks that have been stored to the flash memory may be recoverable.

Compared against a normally saved and completed file, what you may have is an open session.  I haven’t tried looking at a broken PCM file from the Sansa, or tried looking at how many seconds of audio are resident in the buffer before writing to the flash memory, but there are utilities out there to recover corrupted audio files.  It will take a little searching to find software that may fit this task, to analyze what is saved, and possibly yield a decent result.

I see that you have about two hours worth of audio, from a v1 device (R series).   At the least, you have the original file to work with.  It’s curious that you had playback at a high pitch.  With a little patience, and some sleuthing, finding the right software is your next step.

Bob  :wink:

But quite the confusing step.  Any suggestions?  And how do I even go that deep into the player to find the data?