Any thoughts on e280?

I have a Fuze and recnetly found what looks like a good deal on an e280. Can anyone offer an opinion on it? I really like the Fuze’s navigation wheel, but I’m OK with my mother-in-law’s Clip nav, and this would be for my son anyway. I also like that the e280 is screwed together, which makes me think I might be able to service it if and when the battery goes.

The E series is (in my humble opinion) simply the best mp3 player SanDisk ever made. :smiley:

Is it a V1 or V2 model? With a V2, you can use up to a 32GB memory card (SDHC), but with a V1 you can only use up to a 2GB card (SD) unless you install Rockbox (3rd-party open source) firmware on it.

It’s an 8GB, so I’d assume that means it’s a V2. The picture of the back shows “e280” in the lower, right corner, and there’s something next to it that I can’t quite make out. It appears to say “V2” in a smaller font, about the size of the “e”, similar to “e280V2”, if I simulated it right with the font adjustment. It’s definitely different than the picture of the back that I found in an early review on Let’s Go Mobile (http://www.letsgomobile.org/en/review/0080/sandisk-sansa-e280/page2/)..) Looks promising, if the guy still has it.

Thanks for the reply, Tapeworm.

@zeke_the_geek wrote:

It’s an 8GB, so I’d assume that means it’s a V2. The picture of the back shows “e280” in the lower, right corner, and there’s something next to it that I can’t quite make out. 

Could be either a v1 or v2 given that.  You need to check the firmware to find out.

@zeke_the_geek wrote:

It’s an 8GB, so I’d assume that means it’s a V2. The picture of the back shows “e280” in the lower, right corner, and there’s something next to it that I can’t quite make out. It appears to say “V2” in a smaller font, about the size of the “e”, similar to “e280V2”

8GB sizes were available in both hardware versions, and the backs as you know, are removable. In the case of re-furbed players, a V2 back could have be used on a V1 model so as Saratoga says, the only sure way to know is to check the firmware version. If it starts with an 01 it’s a V1 model; if it starts with an 03 it’s a V2.

Regardless, both hardware versions are great little players and Rockbox really expands and enhances their functionality and capabilities, although it is not necessary to enloy the player. If however, you want to use a larger memory card than 2GB and it’s a V1, you will need to use Rockbox.

My brother in law is using V1 and Rhapsody, so far, everything has been doing great. I mean no issues so far.

I finally got it. It does say V2 on the back, and the version under the Info menu is V03.01.11A. It’s clean and in great shape and plays and sounds perfect - as if it was brand new.

Thanks for the pointers on the versions and firmware.

@zeke_the_geek wrote:

I finally got it. It does say V2 on the back, and the version under the Info menu is V03.01.11A. It’s clean and in great shape and plays and sounds perfect - as if it was brand new.

Thanks for the pointers on the versions and firmware.

Wow, this is the original-from-the-factory firmware! It might be brand-new. You should immediately upgrade to the 03.01.16 version though. The original firmware from the factory did not have the USB switch in it, so there was no way to switch to MSC mode, which unless you are using Rhapsody, or other ‘protected’ content is the mode you should be using to transfer your files to the player.

In this mode, your computer will see your player as just any other ‘dumb’ flash or external hard drive, instead of a musical device that needs to be ‘managed’ by Windows Media Player. You can simply drag & drop files from one place (your computer) to another (your player’s or memory card’s Music folder). Easy Peasey!

Don’t download and use the Sansa Updater; you’ll never need it again, and it will try to phone home looking for an update (that will never come) every time you plug the player into your computer. Instead, just follow the manual installation instructions in the firmware post found here. Note, there are different f/w versions for America and Europe.

As I said before I think this is the best mp3 player SanDisk ever made. I enjoy my Clips, and my daughter is still enjoying the Fuze I had, but if forced to choose only one, my e280v2 would definitely win hands down.

Congratulations and let us know if you’ve got any other questions or problems. :smiley:

1 Like