A/C wall charger

@lilpilot wrote:

i too bought a car charger from meritline.comhttp://www.meritline.com/pda-usb-car-charger.html

on the chargers specs its written output 5V ± 5%

so when i actually tested it with a multimeter it showd an output of 5.22 V

which fried my clip…

does all the car chargers yall have show 5 v exactly or more…or is it just mine…

5.22V is within USB spec.  The USB spec allows 5V ±.25V.  so the voltage shouldn’t be a problem. And if anything, a little overvolt is usually preferable to an undervolt.  Also, the voltage might drop a bit under actual load, so it might actually be dead on in real use.

A normal USB port will supply 500 mA.  However, many chargers will supply significantly more, with 1000 mA (1 amp) being common.  This normally just means the battery will charge faster, but I guess if the output was much higher it could fry something.  I have a 1000 mA USB charger and it works fine on both my Clip and Fuze.  What’s the amp rating on yours?

Message Edited by Skinjob on 07-11-2008 04:41 PM

hey …yeah thats right 5.22 is under ± 5% i kno…but the thing is my clip got fried u see …when i  connected it , my clip bcame hot n didnt show any signs of chargin…n then it never charged thru the comp too…n eventually the battery died n never started again…:frowning:

my usb car charger has 500 ma…

so what im asking is weather the clip can take above 5.0 …thts like 5.2v n 5.5v etc…i hav a 5.7 v wall charger too …but never tried it…

wahts the exact out put of your charger…is it written  ± 5% too ??

i wanna know if the problem was my my particular clip or it happens with all…

Message Edited by lilpilot on 07-11-2008 02:11 PM

I would venture that the problem in your case may have been the device itself, as being able to regulate under 1 volt over isn’t asking much of a regulator circuit.

That sounds familiar, wasn’t it "Roger, Roger! Got your vector, Victor? Can you give me an over, Under?"

Incidentally, did you get a new Clip?

I recommend the Made For Sansa variety charger, as the wee beastie is pretty solid.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

yeah…i got a new one from sansa…but im charging it thru the comp…im not risking it thru external chargers now :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s good to hear.  The Sansa should handle voltage regulation without incident, but in light of all those USB chargers out there for crazy prices like $3, I play it safe with the Macally “Made For Sansa” partnered device.

I’ve found that computer USB port charging is the most convenient, but with multiple daughters, the handy additional outlet is nice to have.  When travelling, it comes in handy too.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Anyone have any experience with (opinions about) either of these Ebay offerings:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HOME-WALL-AC-POWER-CHARGER-FOR-SANDISK-SANSA-CLIP-MP3\_W0QQitemZ280246631898QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280246631898&\_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318 

http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Home-Wall-Charger-for-Sandisk-Sansa-Clip-1GB-2GB\_W0QQitemZ370069335325QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item370069335325&\_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

They LOOK like the unit that Sadie2T purchased from PCMicrostore for $11.95, but the first (being sold by emaxland) is $5.98 + free shipping, the second (from accstation, also no shipping charge) is a dollar more and throws a separate car charger into the deal.

Yeah, I know. I should pay the $12 for a charger that one of us has already tried out successfully (thank you, Sadie2T), but the bargain-hunter in me (or maybe it’s the gambler) is intrigued by the possibility of the same (??) item at half the price.