8gb Micro SDHC Help!!

I have the 1GB Black Sansa Express. I want to use my 8gb micro sd card to upgrade it. The card is made by sandisk. The sansa express does recongize it under the system info as 8gb. The problem is that when I add some songs to the card and then check it on the player, the songs are not added. I believe I have the latest firmware. What does the card have to be formatted to? My 2gb is formatted to FAT and it recongizes it fine, but obviously you can’t format 8gb in FAT … or can you? What all do I need to do to be able for my sansa to recongize the songs that I put on my 8gb Micro SD card? Plz help …

@donwoncdizzle wrote:
I have the 1GB Black Sansa Express. I want to use my 8gb micro sd card to upgrade it. The card is made by sandisk. The sansa express does recongize it under the system info as 8gb. The problem is that when I add some songs to the card and then check it on the player, the songs are not added. I believe I have the latest firmware. What does the card have to be formatted to? My 2gb is formatted to FAT and it recongizes it fine, but obviously you can’t format 8gb in FAT … or can you? What all do I need to do to be able for my sansa to recongize the songs that I put on my 8gb Micro SD card? Plz help …

The only HC card that is supported by the Express is the 4gB card. Format the card to FAT 32.

You could use the 8gB card, but the Express will only read 4gB of the card.

Also, Sandisk brand cards seem to work ok. Other brands may or may not work.

See the comments from Sandisk.  http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=express&thread.id=1130

I Have my Sansa Express working with an SanDisk 8GB Micro Card. After going through some confusing and annoying experience to upgrade my express to the latest Fireware 01.01.05A by following the advice found under Sansa Express in this forum for upgrading and debricking my device.

Once I finally got the unit to work and be reconized by XP again. I inserted the 8gb Micro and using the menu on the Express (unplugged from the PC)  Setting - Format - External, After about 2 min it came up and reconized the full 8 GB Micro Card  Under info it reports “SD Card = 7784 MB”.

I debricked the unit as well as updated it to the software as mentioned in the previous posts. I did format the 8gb micro sd card with the unit. The unit does recongize the card, but on my computer when i access the card to put music on it I do this. E:\SD Card > make a folder called “music” > then put my music in that folder. When I put the card back into the device, it doesn’t recongize the music, but under system info it does recongize the space on the card and that some of the space has been used for the music. What can I do to get the device to recongize my music on this card??

@donwoncdizzle wrote:

I debricked the unit as well as updated it to the software as mentioned in the previous posts. I did format the 8gb micro sd card with the unit. The unit does recongize the card, but on my computer when i access the card to put music on it I do this. E:\SD Card > make a folder called “music” > then put my music in that folder. When I put the card back into the device, it doesn’t recongize the music, but under system info it does recongize the space on the card and that some of the space has been used for the music. What can I do to get the device to recongize my music on this card??

See the attached thread for some details on 8gB cards. A few readers have written that they can get their 8gB card to work. But many others, including myself, cannot get it to work.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=express&thread.id=1983&view=by_date_ascending&page=1 

I got it to work with the new firmware update released on 8/25/08.

See my post here: http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=express&thread.id=2733