8 GB Fuse w/ 8 GB card won’t load without freezing

burntorange/Tapeworm wrote:

Sorry, figured out the _quote_ function, but accidentally clicked the _solution button_, not knowing it’s a done deal.   I guess I’m about as screwed as it gets.  I’ve been messing around with batch tagging my wma files, but not convinced it’s the source of the problem.  I’ve started shopping for another 8gb micro card, as I don’t think I can do much more, besides take the player back.  Good thing is that the retailer gives you 3 months to return it …no questions asked.   I’d still like to make it work, but I’m at the point of diminishing returns …plus dealing with a water main break yesterday, a flood two weeks ago, and a sick dog.  I just wanna listen to some music.

You, as the OP can change the Accepted Solution status in the Options (upper right-hand corner of post).

I’d thoroughly check out the card or try another one first. It’d be silly to return the player and get another one, only to find out you have the same issue with the new one.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Accepted Solution reversal. However, I may have finally isolated the problem, as the H2testw results don’t look good. I believe that the test shows that only under 1.8gb of 8gb of memory is functional.

Here are my Sandisk 8GB micro sd card H2testw app test results:

Warning: Only 7953 of 7954 MByte tested.

The media is likely to be defective.

1.8 GByte OK (3964864 sectors)

5.8 GByte DATA LOST (12322880 sectors)

Details:5.8 GByte overwritten (12322880 sectors)

0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)

0 KByte corrupted (0 sectors)

1 KByte aliased memory (2 sectors)

First error at offset: 0x0000000078ff8000

Expected: 0x0000000078ff8000

Found: 0x0000000078ff7c00

H2testw version 1.3

I also tried transferring about 4 GB of wma files over to the micro sd card from laptop to sd card reader, and found that only the first third or so of the cd tracks will play, as usual.  When I try to play a corrupted track, I get the windows media player prompt:

“The file you are attempting to play has an extension (.wma) that does not match the file format.  Playing the file may result in unexpected behavior.” Then it asks if you want to try to play the file, but it won’t play.  The same files on my laptop & pc play perfectly.  That could explain why the Fuse gets buggy after loading several dozen cds.

The OEM packaging from the micro was new, but their European market address appears on the back, although it shipped from CA.  It’s possible that the card was legit, and that I may have unwittingly juiced it with static, causing the damage, although I’ve been fastidious all along.  My guess is that in such a case the card would more likely fail completely.

Evidently my compromised Sandisk 8gb micro is guaranteed for 5 years, assuming no abuse or accidents.  So, I might be able to recoup my expense or get a replacement card.  In the meantime, since I’m not sure I can’t count on that as being more wasted time, I guess I’ll order a second micro sd card.  The original was purchased on eBay I think.  I could get another card for $15 from an amazon store front.  Noticed that r.shack carries sd cards, and the sale prices are pretty competitive.  Not a Wmart fan, but they charge $23 delivered to the store.  Will think about it, maybe even bump up to 16gb.

Regarding returning the Fuse, I would never have returned it for another Fuse, if it hadn’t worked out.  I meant to say, that I would consider returning the Fuse to buy some other brand of MP3 player, probably Zen or Zune in the same price range.  However, from what I’ve read the Fuse, despite it’s flaws, it has better sound quality, loads music faster, and has less convoluted software compared to other players in the same price range.

Anyway, thanks again for the creative angles on the problem.  I was definitely ready to give up on the player, before trying the suggestions.  I’ll leave my post unsolved, until I test a new card out, and hopefully report again soon.  I really appreciate the forum support.  Have a good weekend.

burntorange wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up on the Accepted Solution reversal. However, I may have finally isolated the problem, as the H2testw results don’t look good. I believe that the test shows that only under 1.8gb of 8gb of memory is functional.

H2testw version 1.3

That kinda confirms it. You got a counterfeit card. A 2GB card masquerading as an 8GB card. Do a search here; you’ll find others with the same thing that were suckered from a scumbag on eBay too.

That’s a bummer! :cry:

@tapeworm wrote:

@burntorange wrote:

H2testw version 1.3

That kinda confirms it. You got a counterfeit card. A 2GB card masquerading as an 8GB card. Do a search here; you’ll find others with the same thing that were suckered from a scumbag on eBay too.

Yeah, sad to say.  My guess is that I’d be spinning my wheels trying to return the micro to either the seller or Sandisk, so will just use it in another device.  I bought an ostensibly 16gb mp3 player on ebay a few years ago, which turned out to be hacked …only had 8gb.  Still a good deal for $40, but that seller was gone within a few weeks.  They must pulse their sales for up to several months, until they get too many complaints, and move on to a new account name.  Electronics are always a calculated risk on ebay or generic storefronts.  The majority of my purchases have been satisfactory, but you always remember the let-downs.  Buyer beware :-/

@tapeworm wrote:

@burntorange wrote:

H2testw version 1.3

Yeah, sad to say.  Probably not worth the time returning the micro to either the seller or Sandisk, so I’ll use it in another device.  I once bought a generic, ostensibly _16gb_ mp3 player on ebay, which turned out to be hacked with only 8gb of actual memory.  It was still a good deal for $40, but there’s always a calculated risk buying electronics on ebay or smaller volume storefronts.  Although the majority of my purchases have been more than satisfactory, you never forget the spurious ones.  Buyer beware! 

Please, take the time for one more email or two and notify eBay that the card was bogus.

You may get money back from eBay or its subsidiary Paypal, and even if you don’t, eBay will stop the seller from scamming other people.  You’d be doing a public service.

Not to defend SanDisk, but its trademark on your card may be counterfeit. There are guides online for identifying bogus SanDisk cards. Of course, they’re impossible to use until you actually have the card in your hand, when it’s too late. Sigh.  

@black_rectangle wrote:

Please, take the time for one more email or two and notify eBay that the card was bogus.

You may get money back from eBay or its subsidiary Paypal, and even if you don’t, eBay will stop the seller from scamming other people.  You’d be doing a public service.

Not to defend SanDisk, but its trademark on your card may be counterfeit. There are guides online for identifying bogus SanDisk cards. Of course, they’re impossible to use until you actually have the card in your hand, when it’s too late. Sigh.  

To bring this thread to a close, I bought a brand new 8gb sdhc card (radio shack’s brand, probably made by one of the larger memory card companies) for about $20, not bad for retail.  I tested the card using the H2testw application, and it appeared to be fine.  So, this afternoon, I reformatted it and was finally able to fill the 8gb micro sd card to verify it’s functionality.  No problems.  I’m psyched about the prospect of expanding to a 16 gb card eventually, probably wouldn’t go beyond that, because of the way that the Fuse accesses tunes through the wheel.

Am amazed at how well things transpired in the wake of nearly 2 months of trying everything to get the original, ostensibly Sandisk, 8gb micro sdhc to work beyond 2gb of storage before freezing my 8gb Fuze.  With tne new card, at least there’s a store within a few miles to return it to, if problems develop.  It’s been very reliable so far.

Because my eBay micro card purchase was made over 45 days ago, about 2 months ago actually, neither eBay or Paypal, will accept a claim against the seller.  No surprise there.  So, I sent a letter to the seller, giving him a chance to make good on the transaction.  I don’t expect to hear from him, so in a couple days, I will call Sandisk, to see if they can exchange the card under the 5-year limited warranty.  I’ve checked the card and packaging for evidence of forgery, but nothing sticks out.

I may call eBay eventually (they won’t accept an email through their system, now that the 45 days have expired), but I would like to give the seller a chance first, and then if I can return the card to Sandisk, and they find it to be a fake, I’ll let eBay know.  I am so wiped out by the whole thing, that even tho I usually pursue these things on principle, I hate to waist any more time or further stress-out.  I do appreciate the great ideas, that I got here tho, and will be back to read some more posts.  

There are still a few eccentricities with the Fuse, but minor compared to what I was dealing with before getting a functional sdhc card.  Maybe I’ll attack tag management sometime.  Anyway, I’m glad to say that I’ve been listening to music for several hours and it sounds good :wink:

Thanks!  

burntorange wrote:

To bring this thread to a close, I bought a brand new 8gb sdhc card (radio shack’s brand, probably made by one of the larger memory card companies) for about $20, not bad for retail.  I tested the card using the H2testw application, and it appeared to be fine.  So, this afternoon, I reformatted it and was finally able to fill the 8gb micro sd card to verify it’s functionality.  No problems.

I’m glad to hear things worked out well for you, but I do have a question . . . memory cards come out of the packaging ready to use; why did you feel you had to re-format it?

burntorange wrote:

I may call eBay eventually (they won’t accept an email through their system, now that the 45 days have expired), but I would like to give the seller a chance first, and then if I can return the card to Sandisk, and they find it to be a fake, I’ll let eBay know.

You realize of course that SanDisk knows there are a lot of fakes and counterfeit cards out there, and in all fairness is not going to accept a return on a card with questionable origins. In fact, they may require proof-of-purchase from an authorized SanDisk dealer to verify they aren’t taking back any of this ■■■■ from China. I know I certainly would. Additionally, even if they do accept the return, they are not going to give you your money back; they would exchange it, or give you another card in its place.

Finally, you have to know there are SanDisk employees (some pretty high up) who frequent these forums, and there’s a very good chance one or more have already seen this thread, and while they don’t know your name and such, they’re very familiar with the situation and could put out a memo or some other ‘heads-up’ to the Customer Service dept. to be extra cautious when receiving calls complaining about ‘defective’ memory cards.

If you’ve waited too long for eBay to do anything with their Buyer Protection, I’d just chalk it up to experience and let it go; lesson learned.

@tapeworm wrote:

@burntorange wrote:

To bring this thread to a close, I bought a brand new 8gb sdhc card (radio shack’s brand, probably made by one of the larger memory card companies) for about $20, not bad for retail.  I tested the card using the H2testw application, and it appeared to be fine.  So, this afternoon, I reformatted it and was finally able to fill the 8gb micro sd card to verify it’s functionality.  No problems.

I’m glad to hear things worked out well for you, but I do have a question . . . memory cards come out of the packaging ready to use; why did you feel you had to re-format it?

@burntorange wrote:

I may call eBay eventually (they won’t accept an email through their system, now that the 45 days have expired), but I would like to give the seller a chance first, and then if I can return the card to Sandisk, and they find it to be a fake, I’ll let eBay know.

You realize of course that SanDisk knows there are a lot of fakes and counterfeit cards out there, and in all fairness is not going to accept a return on a card with questionable origins. In fact, they may require proof-of-purchase from an authorized SanDisk dealer to verify they aren’t taking back any of this ■■■■ from China. I know I certainly would. Additionally, even if they do accept the return, they are not going to give you your money back; they would exchange it, or give you another card in its place.

Finally, you have to know there are SanDisk employees (some pretty high up) who frequent these forums, and there’s a very good chance one or more have already seen this thread, and while they don’t know your name and such, they’re very familiar with the situation and could put out a memo or some other ‘heads-up’ to the Customer Service dept. to be extra cautious when receiving calls complaining about ‘defective’ memory cards.

If you’ve waited too long for eBay to do anything with their Buyer Protection, I’d just chalk it up to experience and let it go; lesson learned.

Regarding formating the new micro sd card, I decided that it was best to test the card first with the H2testw (version 1.3) application, suggested to me on the forum, which finally solved my first problem.  That way I wouldn’t be spinning my wheels, potentially for weeks, before discovering an issue, bearing in mind, that the test probably will not diagnose ALL potential problems.  Part of the H2testw-test involves writing sample files to the card, which are not automatically erased.  You have to either delete them or reformat the card.  I decided to start fresh since, although I trust the application, there isn’t a lot of documentation, and I wanted to eliminate potential artifacts, benign or otherwise.  That’s all.

Regarding returning the faulty micro sd card, I’m sure that SanDisk can identify a fake pretty quickly, and that it would be in their best interest to do so, if I have the time to pursue it.  If I call them, I’m not expecting much, but if they do give me a replacement, I would be more than pleased, because of how competititve the price was.   

I’m not surprised, if some Sansa management take the time to read the forums, which is a rich source of consumer feedback and ideas, but as to putting out a memo about a guy, who might return a questionable sd card, out of hundreds of thousands of units sold each year, do you really think that they have time for that?  If so, then maybe I should return my Fuse.  I would hope that they are mainly looking for ways to improve and sell their product line, as well as improve customer support instead.  Tracking down big-time counterfeiters is another matter.

At this point my priority is to file a complaint with eBay probably next week (if the seller doesn’t respond), since I KNOW he has a active account. 

Thanks again for all your suggestions and comments!!