4GB Clip+ won't read card that an 8GB Clip+ will?

Is there a difference between them? I have had the same 8GB Clip+ for years, the last few months with a 64GB card in it working no problems.

Only the headphone socket is worn and crackly so I bought a new Clip+, not needing the internal memory I bought a 4GB one because it was cheap that day on Amazon. Only it can’t see the files on the 64GB card that works perfectly in the other player. It knows that there is a card inserted, but it displays it as empty.

Both are on 1.2.18 firmware, both will read all the other cards I have [4GB, 8GB]. both have identical settings, both in MSC mode, I’ve reformatted the 64GB card [FAT32] just in case [twice, once in each player], deleted and recopied the files over to the card when placed in either Clip+ [several times]. Nothing changes, the 8GB one always works first time, the 4GB one doesn’t work at all.

Unless there is a fundamental difference between the two players I’m thinking that the 4GB Clip+ must be faulty?

Well, it seems like you have covered all the bases. By process of elimination I might come to the same conclusion, however if the SD card slot (or reading circuitry) is faulty, it wouldn’t read the smaller cards either that you say work perfectly.

This is definitely a noggin-scratcher. :confounded:

I’ll try rockboxing it, maybe that will tell me something. Else it’s back to Amazon with it.

So I put Rockbox on it and it can read the 64GB card just fine, all the music is playable. So it’s not a hardware fault. Take Rockbox off and it’s invisible again, something must be wrong with the firmware but a factory reset makes no difference. Must be something different about this player from the 8GB one. Oh well Amazon will exchange.

@nigelnorris wrote:

Take Rockbox off and it’s invisible again, _ something must be wrong with the firmware but a factory reset makes no difference _. Must be something different about this player from the 8GB one.

Just so you know, resetting the Factory Settings will do nothing but reset all those settings you have personalized, like Backlight Brightness, Backlight Time On, Power Saver, Custom EQ settings, FM Radio presets, stuff like that. It does not alter, change or ‘fix’ the firmware nor does it format the player.

Speaking of which, did you try formatting the player and then re-inserting the card?

Theres two slightly different SD controller hardware variants for the Clip+. Its possible your card triggers a bug in the Sandisk driver for one variant but not the other.

What is the speed of the card? The Clips don’t like above Class 4 speeds, and it could be that you just got lucky with one player and not lucky with the other (unfortunately).

@miikerman wrote:
What is the speed of the card? The Clips don’t like above Class 4 speeds, and it could be that you just got lucky with one player and not lucky with the other (unfortunately).

Good point . . . forgot about that one. :wink:

Yeah, I must have had an off day, being able to think. :wink:

Once you exceed the song limit on the Clip+ original firmware, strange behavior can result. I wouldn’t attempt to use a 64GB or even a 32GB card in a Clip+ unless I was using Rockbox(which I do use anyway). Rockbox has a much larger song limit than the original firmware,. I don’t know when Rockbox’s song limit will be reached.