1.02.26 breaks 8GB Fuze?

Thanks, collateral, I didn’t see that option before.

A filesystem check found some errors and fixed them, but my player’s still hanging on startup. I’m at work now, on my Linux desktop, so it connects in MSC mode here. I’m going to backup my music, reformat, and then see if that works.

Regardless, I gotta say I’m not super impressed that the thing seems unable to handle minor filesystem or tag issues. I was so impressed with it when I first got it, thanks to responsiveness and feature set, but this makes me considerably less enthusiastic.

Ok, so reformatting the internal memory allowed it to boot, and I can set it to MSC mode now. However, inserting my microSD card caused it to hang again, so now I’m backing up all *that* music and then going to reformat the card. Then we’ll see if it still hangs after I copy the music back onto it or not.

If you just dump all your music back on the card, the file that was giving you trouble may give you trouble again. Do it gradually so you can isolate the problem file(s).

Yes BR is right!!  So go through the process of re ripping your music…  if you back up you music on your fuse and then re install it your going to have the same issues as was said… You better off to start new habits and keep a back up of your music before it goes into the fuse…Then keep those files backed up at least once more somplace else!  George 

@unit3 wrote:

Hey all,

Just plugged in my Fuze to charge, and it told me about a new firmware update, with some nice features. I installed it, and now my Fuze consistently hangs during the “scanning for new media” part of the boot. It seems to have reset the player to the stupid Windows Media mode instead of normal USB mass storage mode, which may have something to do with it. No amount of hard rebooting the player, with or without my 8GB memory card inserted, fixes it.

Is anyone else seeing this problem, or have any ideas on how to fix it?

Same thing exactly happened to one of my fuzes.  I just forced it into MSC mode, formatted my unit and all was well.  I had one file or 2 files on the unit that would occasionally get stuck; and I’m sure they were the culprit.  I wanted to start anew anyway, so this gave me an excuse to do so.

My second fuze updated without a hitch.

@unit3 wrote:

You’d want to change the mode because MTP mode (the windows media mode) doesn’t let you manage your files properly, and doesn’t work with all audio formats. I have most of my music in Ogg Vorbis format, and the Fuze doesn’t recognize it properly in MTP mode.

all files should work fine in MTP mode. if you see an error that the files are not supported ignore it and copy the files anyway. they will show up and work on the fuze.  

Message Edited by drlucky on 04-09-2009 01:54 PM

drlucky: this hasn’t been my experience. ogg files refused to copy in Vista with the previous firmware, and if I copy files over in MSC mode, they don’t show up at all in MTP mode, even though it shows the disk space is still used.

I’d retry, but honestly, MTP is stupid, and doesn’t work with 2/3rds of the machines I need to use anyway. I’ll stick with MSC mode. I haven’t seen a single reason yet to use MTP mode. :wink:

Rhapsody Channels.    That’s all I use MTP for really.  Oh and maybe to transfer an album from Rhapsody to my Fuze to “try before I buy”.

Awesome. I have all my music stored on my desktop. I competely formatted the SD card and the internal memory on my Fuze, and re-copied over the same music (which worked fine on the previous firmware release, and plays fine everywhere else), and it’s still hanging doing the database stuff.

So, my brand new music player has just become a great big paperweight. Anyone know if it’s possible to downgrade the firmware from this new buggy and broken release?

Unit3,

As far as I can tell the new firmware is fine! I have 3 units now two 8gb one 4gb and all are doing fine after the install… We tried to explain to you why you could not copy the files from your fuze to you computer format the fuze and then copy them back…  Your files will still be corrupt!!  But if you must. Yes you can go back… just do it with the version you liked before… That may be v01.01.11 or v01.01.22…  Do the manual install…    If i was you I would re rip all your music if that’s a option…  You definitely have issues with the music files on your fuze…  It’s not then new firmware!! George

Message Edited by George-W on 04-10-2009 01:28 PM

I had my old 1.01.22.zip file still in my computer. Here’s a Rapidshare  link to download it. (If you’ve never used Rapidshare, click on Free User and wait 45 seconds or so.) Unzip it, put it in the root directory of the Fuze and it should downgrade.

George, I’m not talking about files copied off the fuze and put back on. That’s just something I did at work when I didn’t have access to my music collection. I’m talking about the original ripped audio files, from my computer at home, which were what I originally copied to the Fuze on the previous firmware. They are definitely not corrupted in any way, but the new Fuze firmware totally refuses to work with them now. It absolutely is the new firmware.

Just roll it back to the firmware version you like then… do the manual install of it and your golden!!  George

c1u31355: Thanks! Just did the downgrade (didn’t change the music files at all, or format the card or player), and now everything shows up fine again. :slight_smile:

It’s too bad, because I really wanted the folder browse feature of the new firmware, it would definitely come in handy. But I’ll take working firmware over broken any day. :wink:

@unit3 wrote:

George, I’m not talking about files copied off the fuze and put back on. That’s just something I did at work when I didn’t have access to my music collection. I’m talking about the original ripped audio files, from my computer at home, which were what I originally copied to the Fuze on the previous firmware. They are definitely not corrupted in any way, but the new Fuze firmware totally refuses to work with them now. It absolutely is the new firmware.

If it is the new firmware, then why isn’t it happening to more of us? Not trying to flame here, I am just mystified at the number of people with issues since the update, when I haven’t had any yet. I just formatted my internal and erased my external and reloaded this morning, and it worked yesterday, and seems to work fine now too.

@marvin_martian wrote:

@unit3 wrote:

If it is the new firmware, then why isn’t it happening to more of us? Not trying to flame here, I am just mystified at the number of people with issues since the update, when I haven’t had any yet. I just formatted my internal and erased my external and reloaded this morning, and it worked yesterday, and seems to work fine now too.

I had a slight issue with one of my fuzes after the upgrade, but all is fine now.  I just ran any suspect files through MP3Tag and am now in the process of reloading the one fuze that I had the slight issue with.

I have it about halfway loaded with ogg vorbis files and it is working flawlessly.  The second fuze never had any problems at all…:smiley:

I also did it one unit at a time total of 3 units with out formatting my players yet and the wife’s 4gb unit has a 8gb Micro SD card installed in it at the time of the update with a lot of music on it just under 2000 songs total she leaves the card in at all times…  Seems to be fine too!!  Marvin I’m with you on this!!  George

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@unit3 wrote:

I had a slight issue with one of my fuzes after the upgrade, but all is fine now.  I just ran any suspect files through MP3Tag and am now in the process of reloading the one fuze that I had the slight issue with.

I have it about halfway loaded with ogg vorbis files and it is working flawlessly.  The second fuze never had any problems at all…:smiley:

Well, I only have a few albums on mine that were done in ogg vorbis, but I just checked one of them…album art? yes. Track names? yes. Album name? yes. Codec, bitrate, sample rate?yes. The only thing is for artist, it lists all the composers for each song. That CD is one I ripped with MediaMonkey, FWIW. It’s not anything that I’m going to bother with correcting. If ALL my albums were this way, then yes, I would :smiley:

I didn’t run my suspect files through MP3Tag because I didn’t like the way the fields were populated.  My first fuze stuck in the “refreshing database” mode right after the firmware upgrade; and I suspect I had a couple files with non-standard tags, so I ran the files I suspected through MP3Tag as a precaution.

I test a bunch of programs and encoders and I guess a file or two wound up on the first fuze that were tagged improperly by one of those programs I tested.  As far as I can tell, there is absolutely nothing at fault with the firmware update…at least on my devices.

I suspect it is a tag issue like others have been suggesting. I do have some files with unicode characters in the tags, as produced by Musicbrainz Picard. I’m not really willing to dig through my 22GB music collection to find out which ones it doesn’t like on the new firmware though, since they do work fine on the old firmware.