Won't read Slotradio SD?

Just got this for Christmas. Won’t “do” anything when I install my SD card that I also got, regular Slotradio 80s-90s SD card. Tried it in different modes, etc, no go. I’m sure I’m installing it correctly. Unless it’s really picky on just when you are supposed to install the card, I’m at a loss. Online manual says I should get a “refreshing information” dsplay on the screen, which I am not getting.

My first MP3 player and a bit computer illiterate, so take 'er easy on me. I did get MP3 files loaded and it works OK.

Instructions were goofy, I didn’t realize the volume control was on the side, what is the high/low volume positions in “system settings” doing there, when you just adjust it on the side?

Thanks all!

Gilly

I cant speak to the slotradio card as I havent used them yet (I have enough mp3s to fill my player several times over), but I can speak to the High and Low volume in the system settings. These are primarily for different environments, for instance in the car you may need more volume than you are getting so you switch it to high and a little extra volume is available, and the low just does the opposite. 

The high/low is there in case you want a “master control” limiting volume, such as for your kids.  (Of course, many kids could just switch it back …)

Did you insert the card while the player was off? Did the card go all the way in and click into place? When you go to Slotradio on the player’s menu with the card installed and press the right arrow button, nothing happens?

You might have to press the button at 12 oclock after that to get the music to start playing.

Thanks all, just really thought it was weird that they don’t mention the vol. control on the side. I was really scratching my head on why “high-Low” didn’t do anything (which after your descriptions I am now sure it does), was looking at it and saw that anf it was like “what the, hey!..”.

On the SlotRadio, if I go to that option and press the right arrow key, it just says “Get 1000’s of songs go to www.slotradio.com” or to that effect. In that screen, I can only go back to the SlotRadio main screen, up/down or right doesn’t do anything. I am never getting the “refreshing your data” screen when I insert the card. There seems to be a small detent when the card is inserted, not much. The outer edge of the card is around 3/16" or 1/4" from the outside case when fully inserted (as far as I can push it), I am not sure if this is right or not, but I am pressing quite hard to make sure it’s as far as it will go (without the risk of breaking anything). I can post a pic, or if someone can show me a pic of what it should look like normally that would be great.

Thanks for all the answers, WOW even over night, I was surprised!

Gilly

PS, yes I did try it with the player on and off and about any weird combo you can think of, it just is NOT recognizing the SD card, like I say unless it is some truly odd way you have to do it. Not sure what to blame the player or card, they are both new. I do also know that my “version” is 01 01 05A

The small “barb” on the SD card faces up, correct? The small picture on the SD card faces the rear.

@gilly wrote:

On the SlotRadio, if I go to that option and press the right arrow key, it just says “Get 1000’s of songs go to www.slotradio.com” or to that effect. In that screen, I can only go back to the SlotRadio main screen, up/down or right doesn’t do anything. I am never getting the “refreshing your data” screen when I insert the card. There seems to be a small detent when the card is inserted, not much. The outer edge of the card is around 3/16" or 1/4" from the outside case when fully inserted (as far as I can push it), I am not sure if this is right or not, but I am pressing quite hard to make sure it’s as far as it will go (without the risk of breaking anything). I can post a pic, or if someone can show me a pic of what it should look like normally that would be great.

Thanks for all the answers, WOW even over night, I was surprised!

Gilly

You have the card position correct, but it’s not being inserted all the way in.  The outer edge of the card only sticks out very little, it’s almost flush against the side of the player.  Try wiggling it a little as you insert the card.  After the card is mostly in, I use my thumbnail to push it the rest of the way in until I hear a faint click to let me know it’s in properly.

(So Far) good news, You were right, a little wiggling, then it popped in, as you say, almost flush.

At “this” time though, I have a frozen player, it has the “clover leaf” looking design on the screen (the Sansa emblem, like on the clip in back). I am leaving it on like that for now, maybe it is “refreshing data” w/o telling me that’s what’s up?

Will report back. None of the control buttons are altering the screen, it is stuck. Unless anyone can advise further.

Thanks though, I am hoping I will get this working right yet!

Gilly

If it doesn’t unfreeze after a few minutes, try a system reset:  hold the on switch down for 15-20 seconds.  Hopefully, that will fix the freeze.

Tried that just now, I can get it to turn off (by resetting), comes back on in same condition. Doesn’t change when I connect the power cord to the computer, either, and Updater also won’t interact with it.

Gilly

OH, and while I’m asking, how do you remove the SD card? It is beyond flush now (used fingernail to drive it in), can you only use one genre SD (Slotradio) card? I don’t see how I can even remove it now…

I would just remove the SD card now if I could.

Gilly

Tried shutting off (with reset, which is the only way right now with it), THEN plugging into computer, does the same thing as turning it on. What it does exactly is it says “SANSA”, then you get the “clover” Sansa design, and stops right there.

Gilly

Really trying to figure out if I need to return this or what to do.

I got SD card out using a pin, is STILL acting the same way now though. Even with card removed, have to do reset to turn off, and turning on only gets me the Sansa name and then clover trademard design and stops there.

Thx for any advice, might try a call to customer service/tech support or whatever.

Gilly

OK, got it fixed.

First, I “dug” the SD card out with a pin (yeah, I know this sounds great so far doesn’t it, you have to read the whole story),Yeah, had to use a pin to unjam the SD card and remove it. NOW I know that something was wrong with the install.

Called customer service and they had me try a few things with it (resetting it but holding buttons longer). And they set me up with getting it returned to them. Got off the phone and was just looking at it and fooling with the SD card again. Tryed to install it, and the card was sort of springing back, which it hadn’t done before. Pushed it in more and still sprung back. Remembered what was said about “fingernail”, so pushed it in beyond flush and it stayed in and voila, I had the message about refreshing data! Along with the progress bar. After that I had tunes from Slotradio. Then had to ask myself about removing the SD card, so yeah I see how that works now, push in on the card and it pops back out, so now I know how that works. No idea why it didn’t work right initially, I know I was putting in in the right direction, but something had to be a little off somehow. Pretty happy it unlocked and that I won’t have to be without it a few weeks.

I did cancel the whole return thing with Sandisk as well.

That’s great to hear.  It could be that the slot just was a bit tight to begin with–hopefully, that’s solved now–