WMP 11 (Vista) crashes when Clip connected

This is the first time I’ve tried to connect it to WMP to load music.  I have a completely up-to-date Vista Ultimate OS, and have loaded the latest Clip firmware V01.01.18A, and have formated the Clip to remove everything.  Every time WMP 11 launches when I have the Clip connected, it crashes with the dialog “Windows Media Player has stopped working - A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.”  It doesn’t matter if the Clip is plugged in before I launch WMP, or after.  It doesn’t matter if the Clip is in MTP or MSC mode.  Windows Explorer sees the Clip just fine, and I’m sure I could drag some music in there with Explorer.  However, the songs I want to transfer are in a WMP Playlist, and I need it to downsample my WMA Lossless format to something the Clip can handle.

Any ideas why WMP 11 keeps crashing with the Clip?

Thanks!

Maybe try using another program like meida monkey. Can’t say if it’s sandisk’s fault or windows’ fault. GL to you.

I have the same problem on two sansa players. App crashes as soon as they are plugged in my laptop, but not on my big PC. both computers are windows XP

mine works fine

I have no idea why Sansa is not helping people with this problem.

There is a System/Hidden directory with digital rights data in it that causes the problem. Clean out this directory and the problems go away.

The directory is C:\Documents and settings\all users\DRM

Remeber Hidden and Ssyetm so no GUI access

Get in dos and in this directory

Use the dos ATTRIB command to make all files in here visable by taking off the System and Hidden attribute. Type Attrib /? for help

Now that you can see them delete them while in dos.

One word of warning if you downloaded music that needs the DRM data to play, you need to downlaod them again. I am a pirate so I have no DRM

Good luck, this worked great for me

@rcaliand wrote:

"C:\Documents and Settings" does not exist in Vista. You can still “CD” to it in a DOS box because there is a “junction point” that redirects things to the new location. “All Users” is sort of split between “C:\Users\Public” and "C:\ProgramData". What you are looking for may be in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\DRM". Then again, being Vista, it could be a whole different problem.

@rcaliand wrote:

I have no idea why Sansa is not helping people with this problem.

There is a System/Hidden directory with digital rights data in it that causes the problem. Clean out this directory and the problems go away.

Remeber Hidden and Ssyetm so no GUI access

Get in dos and in this directory

Use the dos ATTRIB command to make all files in here visable by taking off the System and Hidden attribute. Type Attrib /? for help

Now that you can see them delete them while in dos.

One word of warning if you downloaded music that needs the DRM data to play, you need to downlaod them again. I am a pirate so I have no DRM

Good luck, this worked great for me

That worked for me, although I’m using WMP 11 and XP.

Try converting the WMA lossless files in you playlists to a format the Fuze recognizes before connecting the Fuze. Make sure the player is in MTP mode. Try connecting the Clip while Windows Media Player is running.