Which size to buy?

Does it matter which size to buy 2, 4, or 8 GB?

Does the Clip+ do FLAC?

The Clip+ does play FLAC, and quite well, actually.  I’d suggest the 8GB; you’ll need the space eventually, and they’re quite cheap when searched out online.

Despite what some would say yes, size DOES matter! Go with the biggest you can lay your hands on. :stuck_out_tongue:

LOL, I have to agree size does matter, although style and functionality are important also.:stuck_out_tongue:

Well I wore myself out looking at MP3 players and helping my mom after she came home from the hospital with a bionic knee.

Here what I found for MP3 players that have sd slot & play flac under $110 -

Sandisk sansa clip+ 8GB at $54

creative Zen ZEN X-Fi2 8 GB $110 (Plays video & games)

Archos Vision 2 8 GB $60
Cowon D2+ 8GB $105

iriver E150 8GB $99

I am not interested in videos, but games might be interesting while waiting at the bank, doctors, etc…

The Clip+ is the cheapest and cleanest design but the most minimalist.  It is a good mp3 player with better than average audio.

What do you think?

I’m pretty sure that the Clip+ is the best sounding player out of your list, with the most notable exception being the Cowon D2+.  However, the Clip+ is smaller, cheaper, and fully expandable, as you’ve pointed out.  You can have an 8GB Clip+ and a 16GB microSD for less than one hundred bucks, and you will have a great portable music experience.

As for games, might I suggest Rockbox-ing your Clip+:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rVV_0xKmhw&feature=player_embedded

@hulksmashnow wrote:

I’m pretty sure that the Clip+ is the best sounding player out of your list, with the most notable exception being the Cowon D2+.  However, the Clip+ is smaller, cheaper, and fully expandable, as you’ve pointed out.  You can have an 8GB Clip+ and a 16GB microSD for less than one hundred bucks, and you will have a great portable music experience.

Sounds like you are a Cowon basher.  I have a clip+ and a Cowon D2+; and the Cowon is better in every respect. Smaller isn’t always better.  I’d gladly have my 50+ hrs. of battery life with it’s bigger form factor than the awful 12 or less hrs of battery life I get out of the clip+.  

PS. Anybody want to buy a Clip+?.. Just kidding; I’ll just toss it.

Message Edited by fungazi on 07-01-2010 06:37 PM

@fungazi wrote:

@hulksmashnow wrote:

Sounds like you are a Cowon basher.   I have a clip+ and a Cowon D2+; and the Cowon is better in every respect. Smaller isn’t always better.  I’d gladly have my 50+ hrs. of battery life with it’s bigger form factor than the awful 12 or less hrs of battery life I get out of the clip+.  

I think you’re misreading. The way I interpret “the Clip+ is the best sounding player out of your list, with the most notable exception being the Cowon D2+” is to mean that the Cowon has sound quality that rivals (if not beats) the Clip+.

gwk1967 wrote:

@fungazi wrote:

@hulksmashnow wrote:

Sounds like you are a Cowon basher.   I have a clip+ and a Cowon D2+; and the Cowon is better in every respect. Smaller isn’t always better.  I’d gladly have my 50+ hrs. of battery life with it’s bigger form factor than the awful 12 or less hrs of battery life I get out of the clip+.  

I think you’re misreading. The way I interpret “the Clip+ is the best sounding player out of your list, with the most notable exception being the Cowon D2+” is to mean that the Cowon has sound quality that rivals (if not beats) the Clip+.

+1

@fungazi wrote:

Sounds like you are a Cowon basher.  I have a clip+ and a Cowon D2+; and the Cowon is better in every respect. Smaller isn’t always better.  I’d gladly have my 50+ hrs. of battery life with it’s bigger form factor than the awful 12 or less hrs of battery life I get out of the clip+.  

Geez, you try to help, and someone always jumps down your throat!  Not bashing Cowon at all.  In fact, I’m a big fan and I think they’re great…I was just telling the OP that the Clip+ is his best choice in terms of affordability and portability.  

And thanks for the replies and assists, gwk1967 and Marv.

I have to agree that you were actually saying the Cowon D2 sounded better, just cost more.

While doing due diligence found the following on wikpedia, is this still true? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SanDisk_Sansa

Some Sansa Clip and Clip+ models suffer from a firmware bug which causes the audio playback of files with 44.1 kHz sampling rate to be too slow, resulting in audio being off pitch by between 19 and 20 cents, or 0.247%, which is significantly greater than other MP3 players tested at the same time. However, the deviation from true pitch is small enough so that adults with average and below average pitch recognition may not notice it. A workaround is resampling the audio files to 48 kHz, at which the bug becomes barely noticeable. At one point, SanDisk stated that they would not fix the bug, but it seems to have been fixed in a more recent firmware for the Clip only. The bug still exists in the Clip+ models.

Ouch no answer.  Well I guess I am not getting a clip.  How about the fuze?

The pitch bug on the Clip was fixed, at least to the point where it’s not off by significantly more than other players. The pitch on the Clip+ has actually been measured to be a bit fast , but only to a very slight degree. I’m not aware of a confirmed pitch issue on the Fuze. 

The problem with Wikipedia is that updates to many entries are spotty, depending upon user contributions.  The pitch error of the Clip+ is quite small compared against the original issue.

The debate over the error in pitch was quite a maelstrom in a few threads, with many arguing over specifications, reminiscent of the THD and wow-and-flutter minutiae of the 1980s.  One could have an audio device with lovely specifications, yet harmonics characteristic of the devices used made for a disappointing audition of the final product.

The most fun I had back then was in high end circles, contrasting Bob Carver’s efforts (and the marketing blitz) against real world experience with Threshold and Nelson Pass.  I was a puppy back then, in my 20s.  This was when digital came of age, and the Meridian (Boothroyd-Stewart) gear that showed me the future possible with digital signal processing.  We had some great times, great dinners in Las Vegas, trying to unwind after long days of the Consumer Electronics Show.

The pitch error was a result of using 44,100 versus 48,000hz clocking; the requisite PLL multiples needed increased power consumption, an important consideration, as most users would bemoan the battery life versus absolute accuracy in playback pitch.  Once the difference was looked at under the myopic world of specifications, the threads lit up on the forums.  A compromise was subsequently found, giving us a happy balance between accuracy and runtime.

Such compromise must be made occasionally, if companies are to market their efforts.  The alternative path rests on the end of a tonearm here, for example.  A hand-wound moving coil phonograph cartridge with just a few turns of silver wire.  Quite costly, but very nice.  And only a few can enjoy it.

Digital makes for a different world.  With a successive firmware change, the performance of a device can be changed remotely.  Absolute magic, compared against the old days.  Just look at the capabilities that have been added to the base Clip from a few years ago!

Sorry, I digress.  Was the topic the Cowon D2 versus the Sansa?  I am breaking in a new pair of Maximos with some Chris Botti jazz, after a few hours of wandering through aircraft clips on YouTube.  This is a fun way to burn in new 'phones.

The D2 is a nice machine, no doubt.  I love looking at various manufacturers’ entries in industrial design.  Like the little Philips toys (OLED screen capsule), as an example, I marvel at the compact designs.  Perhaps, my favorite Clip+ will someday get a slightly thicker brother, with a wee bit heftier battery.  The pitch of the Clip+ is very, very close indeed, and has been so since the initial release.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

The OP has moved on, as evidenced in her Head-Fi.org postings.  Apparently, none of us could convince her to get a Clip+.  That’s fine.  To each his or her own.

Head-fi.org? Isn’t that the site where “golden ears” rule? And God help you if you try to advocate ABX testing…

Comparing a Clip+ to a D2(+) is like comparing a Bicycle  to a Cadillac.  Both get you where you want to go; but one does so with comfort, ease and grace…the other just gets you there.  You be the judge where the Clip+ fits into this equation.