Need another mp3 for work and knocking around

Hi, looking for another mp3 player that is expandable and looking at using SD cards.  The egg has a recertified SanDisk Sansa Fuze 1.9" Black 2GB MP3 / MP4 Player on sale for $28.  This seems like a good deal.  Although I cannot find specifically what size of SD cards can be used.  You would think this would be in the specifications.  Something tells me this is a moving target.  I am looking for a MP3 player that I can have several SD cards of music.  I would like to use 16GB.  Any recommendations would be welcome.  I’m also looking at other models zen, archos.

This forum has long long threads and the most common questions aren’t in the stickies.  Yet some people continuously gripe because newbies are trying to wade through the cludgy forum threads and still don’t see answers.

beachgeek wrote:

Hi, looking for another mp3 player that is expandable and looking at using SD cards.  The egg has a recertified SanDisk Sansa Fuze 1.9" Black 2GB MP3 / MP4 Player on sale for $28.  This seems like a good deal.  Although I cannot find specifically what size of SD cards can be used.  You would think this would be in the specifications.  Something tells me this is a moving target.  I am looking for a MP3 player that I can have several SD cards of music.  I would like to use 16GB.  Any recommendations would be welcome.  I’m also looking at other models zen, archos.

I guess it’s a good deal if you don’t mind buying someone else’s junk. Personally, I’d rather spend a buck or two more and get a factory-new one with a 1 year warranty.

What size of SD card? Micro.

(shown about 30 times the actual size)

How large a memory capacity can you use? Anywhere from a lowly 256mb (if you can still find one, although I don’t know why you would want to) up to the current behemoth of 32GB.

Thanks for the help.  I have a sony  2GB NWZ-W252 behind the ears mp3 player for running and working out.  I love it with no cords, but filled it up quickly.  I am looking for something that is expandable and sounds good also.

Teresa

There are quite a few great deals out there on the 2GB base model Fuze, I see.  The Fuze can be expanded with microSD cards ranging up to 32GB!

The venerable 2GB cards are my favorite, as they can hold collections of audiobooks, a movie or two, and various music, depending upon the day’s mood.  Running with the e200, I grew accustomed to the 2GB size.

I like them, as the database refresh is quite rapid; with a 16GB card, it’s time to brew some coffee while it refreshes following transfers.

You can beat the snot out of a little Fuze, and it keeps on running.   Just don’t forget to fish the little guy from your jeans pocket before dumping it into the laundry.

Bob  :wink:

Thanks Bob for the advice on the smaller size.  Just started reading about the different classes of SD cards, did not realize buying a mp3 player would require this much research, but that is half the fun. 

What about the Sansa Clip+? It’s half the size of the Fuze, has a built in clip, and still has the microSD slot.  Biggest downfall is shorter battery life than the Fuze.  Just a thought if you don’t care about video capabilities.  It’s personal preference, but I like the size of the Clip over the size of the Fuze. 

Sorry - No offense meant to Fuze users!!!  I realize this is the Fuze forum, but I own both and happen to prefer the Clip!

Message Edited by kmk_01kmk on 07-01-2010 09:26 AM

I do not care about video at all.  Does the clip+ do FLAC?  I am looking for really good sound also.

I’m not a good judge on sound - I’m a pretty basic user, but it does play FLAC according to the specs. 

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clipplus&thread.id=893

FLAC comes in various flavors. The Fuze (with current firmware) and Clip + will play 16-bit FLAC but not 24-bit FLAC. So if you have super audiophile tunes you’ll have to encode them down to 16-bit. 

However, just to tease the flamers, I would suggest that most people who can tell the difference between 16-bit and 24-bit FLAC are either oscilloscopes or dogs. 

Black-Rectangle wrote:

FLAC comes in various flavors. The Fuze (with current firmware) and Clip + will play 16-bit FLAC but not 24-bit FLAC. So if you have super audiophile tunes you’ll have to encode them down to 16-bit. 

However, just to tease the flamers, I would suggest that most people who can tell the difference between 16-bit and 24-bit FLAC are either oscilloscopes or dogs.  

They could also just be “legends in their own mind” . . .

or liars, plain & simple.

Smiley

Black-Rectangle wrote:

FLAC comes in various flavors. The Fuze (with current firmware) and Clip + will play 16-bit FLAC but not 24-bit FLAC. So if you have super audiophile tunes you'll have to encode them down to 16-bit. 

They could also just be "legends in their own mind" . . .

or liars, plain & simple. :stuck_out_tongue:

Black-Rectangle wrote:

I have never agreed with anything you’ve said more!:smileyvery-happy:

Heard (not sure yet) Logitech Squeezebox Touch now plays 24 bit FLAC and also has SD slot.  Very expensive though sells for $299.  There are lots of people who claim to be able to tell the difference.

I am being careful as I remember people saying you could not tell the difference between 60 Hz and 120 Hz, let alone 240 Hz.

OK I am looking at Fuze, Zen Hi-Fi2, Cowon D2+.  Clip+ is out. Not sure about Archos, heard Cowon has not delivered on firmware updates.

This is taking a lot longer than I though it would.

Teresa

Whether your FLAC files are 16 or 24 bit resolution, hearing the difference would be quite a task.  On a big, revealing home system (audiophile), you’d have a better chance.  Being able to decode the 24 bit genre is more of a convenience than a necessity, in my estimation- it’s nice to use one file for both venues.

On the other hand, data storage is getting quite inexpensive.

The Squeezebox machine is pretty nice, especially the big one with balanced outputs.

The Clip+ is a very close cousin to the Fuze, essentially the same machine, with a different display capability, and a smaller battery of course.  I listen to them both interchangeably, depending upon activities.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Clip + also has lower headphone output. I think the Fuze is superior.

The lower output is a tradeoff, as the Clip+ has a much smaller battery.  Conserving a wee bit of current makes for longer run time.  The Clip+ is the perfect player for when I’m out and about, climbing trees, following the white rabbit, times when its size is quite convenient.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I know the prevailing opinion is that the Clip+ and Fuze sound the same. But I A-B’d my Fuze (v1) and a Clip+ (v2) repeatedly, wanting desperately to enjoy the Clip+ and keep it for knockaround use, and I could always tell the difference, using Shure E4 and Sennheiser PX100 (while someone else switched units behind my back).

Maybe it’s the headphone power difference, maybe it’s a different “Normal” EQ, but the vocals/midrange were way out front with the Clip+ in an unnatural way. The OP was right to rule out the Clip+. Or maybe the v1 Clip sounds better. But my Fuze and Clip+ had two very different sound signatures.

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 07-03-2010 07:16 AM

Black-Rectangle wrote:
Clip + also has lower headphone output. I think the Fuze is superior.

Maybe if you’re not listening to gapless albums. The Clip+ is very, very close to perfect gapless…yet I recall clearly hearing gaps back when I had my V1 Fuze.

I don’t have a Fuze anymore to compare headphone output with, but with the Sennheiser PX100,which you mentioned using,  Clip+ has all the output power it needs. If I use my Grado headphones with the Clip+, I add a headphone amp…the amp isn’t a problem to carry around in that situation, because I don’t use the Grados outside of the house anyways.

And when you factor in the superior form factor of the Clip+ ( dedicated volume control, no iPod-like scroll wheel, and yes, the clip itself ) the lower battery life of Clip+ vs. the Fuze is an easy compromise to make. I rarely am away from AC power long enough to drain the Clip+ battery, but any time that I would be,  I would also have either my Sony E345 with me,  which has better battery life than the Fuze,  or my Sony S545, which has even better life than the E345.

The Fuze is way overdue for an update, a Fuze+, if you will…until that time, the Clip+ is the better player, IMO.

Marvin, old buddy, my problem isn’t the amount of power to the PX100 but a different sound signature between Fuze and Clip+, with lots more midrange, a tinnier effect.  It may be different in v1 and v2 Clip+ units. But as I said, I could very clearly hear the difference.

I can live with the slight sonic differences between the Fuze and the Clip+; but I can’t live with the clip+'s sub-par battery performance.  I still use my Fuze daily, but the Clip+ remains at the bottom of my sock drawer unused.  Battery performance isn’t stellar with the Fuze, but at least it is acceptable.  I’m wondering why more people aren’t complaining about the clip+ battery longevity…kind of erases all of the other nice things about the player.