Which Sandisk Memory card

I’m looking  at picking up a few Sandisk Memory cards but I see a large variance in price on Amazon - and I don’t want to pick the wrong one up?

I see on Amazon an 8 GB card selling in bulk - class II for 13.44 / some for 16.00 / another for 25.00 ?

Which one should I be looking to pick up.  Is there a any way I can know which card to pick up Class II, Class IV, product number, etc?

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-microSDHC-CLASS-SDSDQ-8192-Package/dp/B0012Y2LLE/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1232492708&sr=8-1

$25.07

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-8GB-MicroSDHC-Memory-Card/dp/B000WPDKRI/ref=pd_bbs_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1232492708&sr=8-5

$16.24

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-MicroSD-Card-SDSDQ-008G/dp/B001BLV78Q/ref=pd_bbs_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1232492708&sr=8-6

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-microSDHC-CLASS-SDSDQ-8192-Package/dp/B001IMDUOW/ref=pd_bbs_sr_9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1232492708&sr=8-9 

Message Edited by fireball on 01-20-2009 03:14 PM

As in all retail businesses, prices vary by dealer or location. These are all ‘business partners’ of Amazon. Sort of ‘sub-contractors’. They get to sell on Amazon probably for a fee or commission basis.

In ghetto vernacular, “It’s all good!” :smiley:

Actually, you might want to consider this one:

SanDisk SDSDQY-8192-A11M 8GB Mobile Ultra Micro SDHC Card (Black)

The “ultra” versions are all Class 6 cards and include the cool little USB adapter.  If it doesn’t say “ultra” in the name it’s most likely a Class 2 card with no reader/adapter.  I think the few extra bucks are worth it.

2 lbs. shipping weight?

As the late great George Carlin used to say, “That’s some _ heavy _ sh*t, man!”

Sweet lookin’ card reader though (if you need one). But when you can pick up an 8 gig card for like 13 bucks now, I’m not so sure the speed difference (if any) would be worth the price offset.

TheMarkster did some benchmark speed tests and found that even the no-name generic cards imported from Hong Kong transferred much faster than what they were labeled as. Maybe that’s why the new 16GB cards are only labeled as Class 2. Maybe there isn’t much difference anymore as there used to be?

2 lbs. shipping weight?

As the late great George Carlin used to say, “That’s some _ heavy _ sh*t, man!” :smileyvery-happy:

Sweet lookin’ card reader though (if you need one). But when you can pick up an 8 gig card for like 13 bucks now, I’m not so sure the speed difference (if any) would be worth the price offset.

TheMarkster did some benchmark speed tests and found that even the no-name generic cards imported from Hong Kong transferred much faster than what they were labeled as. Maybe that’s why the new 16GB cards are only labeled as Class 2. Maybe there isn’t much difference anymore as there used to be?

@tapeworm wrote:

2 lbs. shipping weight?

As the late great George Carlin used to say, “That’s some _ heavy _ sh*t, man!” :smileyvery-happy:

I didn’t already have a reader, so it was worth it for me.  The thing really is tiny, barely bigger than the Micro card.  Plus I had a gift card, so it didn’t really cost me anything.

As to the class rating, remember that it’s the minimum guaranteed transfer rate.  That means that no matter what size files or what area of the card is being accessed, the rate should never drop below the class rating.  It could be much higher depending on file size, etc.  But if a card is Class 2, then there is some scenario where the transfer rate will drop below Class 4.  Of course, it may not be a scenario you ever run into, so it might not matter that much in practice.

What’s the relevance of Class in regards to this flash memory. 

I’ve seen Class 2, class 4, and Class 6.  Is thee any reason to go with one vs the other - or should a certain class be avoided?

Thanks

The “class” is the guranteed minimum transfer speed, which can be important when watching video (to prevent skipping) or other high-demand tasks.

Class just usually refers to refreshing data base speed in reference to how much you have on the card.  The more you have on the longer it will take to refresh.  I have as many as 10 movies on one card and it takes about a minute to refresh the database and the movies play fine.  This is on a class 2 card, 8gb. 

Check out this discussion "Am I going to notice any difference between a Class 4 and Class 6 Micro SDHC card? "

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&message.id=4561&query.id=136916#M4561

I like the wee SanDisk MicroSD card readers.  I have one of the teeny guys in my hand.  It’s so small, less than an inch long including the USB connector. 

If you are searching for the “bulk package” ones with just the µSD card, look a bit further for a deal with the reader, at least for one of your cards- it’s definitely worth it.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I haven’t saw a need for a card reader for my Fuze simply because I mostly do movies on them and they have to be in the Fuze to convert them… but I thought I might need one for my larger card for my camera so I bought a larger one that supports just bout every size.  Yes it has a cord.  And since I accidentally bought a large size 8gb micro card (and my camera only goes to 4gb) it would work for transfering data or images or whatever.

I’m thinking of ordering a Class 2 card today for 16.00 shipped. 

I only plan to use it for music - Will the speed be prohibitively long on refresh  with ths card - or is there a significant compelling reason that I should pony up for the 4GB card.

@fireball wrote:

I only plan to use it for music - Will the speed be prohibitively long on refresh  with ths card - or is there a significant compelling reason that I should pony up for the 4GB card.

The longest refresh time I have had with my class 2 is 4.5 minutes…when my entire 12GB of memory was full. But you only refresh when you change the contents of the player, after all. And music playback is excellent with the class 2 card…even when I shuffle everything.

@marvin_martian wrote:

@fireball wrote:

The longest refresh time I have had with my class 2 is 4.5 minutes…when my entire 12GB of memory was full. But you only refresh when you change the contents of the player, after all. And music playback is excellent with the class 2 card…even when I shuffle everything.

You would be most likely to notice a difference when loading up the card with a lot of files.  There would probably be a difference on the refresh as well, but probably not too significant.  Note that you can get 8GB Class 6 cards for around $15-$17 from Newegg with free shipping.   I wouldn’t get Class 2 unless you are going for the 16GB where that’s your only option.

@marvin_martian wrote:

@fireball wrote:

That is excellent time.  Mine doesn’t take long because I just have movies, so a class 2 works fine with me.  I haven’t noticed a difference in class 2 and class 4.