What a disappointment!

Well, I was so chuffed to get my Sansa Clip from Amazon - but my chuffedness didn’t last long. Charged up the battery and the first thing I did was get the radio working. But the headphone jack doesn’t fit and you have to fiddle about to get any sound through. The jack seems too big and doesn’t go all the way in - to get any sound you have to really tweak it very minutely and you get sound just as it falls out. I’ve tried three other sets of headphones we use in other MP3s and they are all too small and fall out really easily -they’re all different makes so I think the problem is def with the unit.

So, I guess it’s going back.

It’s very strange that you would say the jack seems too big. Most of the time, we have to tell new users they may have to push the plug in kind of hard because the jack may be very snug at first. Are you sure you’re using headphones with a standard plug, and not the iPhone type? Those are a bit smaller.

@sal51 wrote:

Well, I was so chuffed to get my Sansa Clip from Amazon - but my chuffedness didn’t last long. Charged up the battery and the first thing I did was get the radio working. But the headphone jack doesn’t fit and you have to fiddle about to get any sound through. The jack seems too big and doesn’t go all the way in - to get any sound you have to really tweak it very minutely and you get sound just as it falls out. I’ve tried three other sets of headphones we use in other MP3s and they are all too small and fall out really easily -they’re all different makes so I think the problem is def with the unit.

So, I guess it’s going back.

Your experience is defintely not typical.  The usual experience is that the jack is very tight at first (a good thing).  So either something is weird about your headphones or you just had the bad luck to get a defective unit.  If you are sure your phones are OK, you should return the unit for replacement.

I had another brand with a ridiculously tight jack. But after a couple times forcing it in extremely hard, it would take the jack fine and even seemed to have the best sound quality of any player (maybe the tight contacts help).

I’m glad that I checked this forum before I called Sansa for support. I just received my Sansa Clip and initially thought I had pushed the headphone plug in to the jack far enough, which netted me no sound. I then found that if I pulled it out a ways I would get sound, but the plug would look like it is half in and loose (perhaps that is what the other person referred to as being too big).

After reading your comment about pushing it in harder I did just that and discovered that I initially did not push it in all the way.

It is a tight fit (but fits fine).

It might be worth including information in the instructions about pushing in the plug and describing the fit of the plug.

Thanks for the info!