Headphone jack question

I just bought a sandisk clip today.  When I put the headphones in all the way there is no sound.  If I pull out the plug about a quarter of an inch, there is sound.    It’s really annoying because if you bump the plug then you no sound and you have to fix it.  Is this normal?

Thank you 

No. Take it back and get another one.

Just do be sure that you really have the plug in all the way to begin with.  At first, the fit can be very tight in some Clips. 

If you’ve only tried one set of headphones, try another one … it could be a faulty plug.

same thing just happened to me twice. i took the first one back and the second one does the same thing! push the jack in all the way in and it doesn’t work. pull it back about half way and it works (sound-wise). this looks like a good product if i can find one that works. pretty annoying having to go back a third time in two days. i’m thinking i should try another brand.

Although I’m sure it is, just do be sure that the plug is in all the way (it can be a tight fit to begin with)–strange that this has happened to you with 2 players in a row.  And you may want to try a second pair of phones as well.

i’ve tried this with three different pairs of headphones with the same results. the problem is definately with the player. the plug goes in all the way just fine. but there is no sound until i pull it back out about an equal distance from where it is all the way in. i used it this player all day yesterday with a loose connection and the jack falling out occasionally, and still love it! so i hate to have to take it back to see if i can find one that doesn’t have this defect. but will be doing just that for the third time today.  

SOLVED! This product works great and is DEFINATELY NOT DEFECTIVE! Both the woman in Customer Service at Best Buy and I felt like a couple of idiots because we DID NOT plug the jack all the way in! We both thought it should go in easier and didn’t want to possibly break it. But no, just had to push it in a little harder. Thanks, and sorry for the hassle.    

Mine does the same thing.  Because I know this can happen to “inexpensive” headphones and radios, I made it a point to seldom pull the plug in and out.  I bet I’ve pulled them out less than 10 times in my 5 months of ownership, but it went bad anyway.  It’s the player, not the phones.

@2lanehighways wrote:
Mine does the same thing.  Because I know this can happen to “inexpensive” headphones and radios, I made it a point to seldom pull the plug in and out.  I bet I’ve pulled them out less than 10 times in my 5 months of ownership, but it went bad anyway.  It’s the player, not the phones.

Note that Newester52 said this exact same thing too . .

and it wasn’t. :wink:

Although my headphone jack never was too tite, I’ve seen the issue raised here previously.  The moral:  if there is a sound issue, don’t be afraid to push the headphone jack in hard.

Yep, this “problem” has bit a lot of people. I can see that they are reluctant to force the plug for fear of breaking something.

Simple solution to look for: the headphone plug shoulder should be flush up to the player’s jack end - NO GAP! If you see a gap between the two, it needs to be pushed in further!!!

A late reply to this thread.  But I believe many clips get returned because users aren’t use to pushing the headphone plug in with abit of force.

A friends clip actually made a nice snapping noise , the first time I plugged in her earphones.    At first I thought I broke it.    But it worked and was just a very tight fit.   My clip was simular.  Now the plug fits in without this added force.    If you got muscles, use them,  make sure the jack is plugged in ALL THE WAY.  There should be only about 1mm gap between  earbud jack insulator to the edge of the player.  

If you only get sound out of one earphone ,  or a crackling noise (loose connection).    PLUG IT ALL THE WAY IN.  

I’ve seen this on several clips and this forum is loaded with people that asked the same question.   Jack failure is rare, and I’m sure those who thought it was, just didn’t try to snap it in hard enough.

Niko