Volume seems insufficient in Fuze

I just got the 4gb fuze and love everything about it except…the volume just doesn’t seem loud enough. I had a c250 that had great volume. Hardly had to turn it up to hear it great. With the fuze, I have it almost all the way up when I’m here in my relatively quiet house. I normally run outside, so I’m worried about not being able to hear it. I am aware of the “volume” control under settings. I have it set for High. I assume I highlight the word “high” and then press the button in the middle of the circle? When I do that for High and then for Normal…they sound exactly alike. I don’t notice any difference at all between the normal and high setting. I wonder if there could be something wrong w/my player where I don’t notice any difference between these 2 settings. I have tried all the different settings in the EQ also. Nothing seems to help. I’m very frustrated and would hate to have to return it because of this. Thanks for any help you can give me.

@lrando wrote:
I just got the 4gb fuze and love everything about it except…the volume just doesn’t seem loud enough. I had a c250 that had great volume. Hardly had to turn it up to hear it great. With the fuze, I have it almost all the way up when I’m here in my relatively quiet house. I normally run outside, so I’m worried about not being able to hear it. I am aware of the “volume” control under settings. I have it set for High. I assume I highlight the word “high” and then press the button in the middle of the circle? When I do that for High and then for Normal…they sound exactly alike. I don’t notice any difference at all between the normal and high setting. I wonder if there could be something wrong w/my player where I don’t notice any difference between these 2 settings. I have tried all the different settings in the EQ also. Nothing seems to help. I’m very frustrated and would hate to have to return it because of this. Thanks for any help you can give me.

High and normal only regulate the Max volume. Turn it all the way up in normal mode, then switch to high, it shouldnt be maxed out any more. Something to consider is your headphones. If you are using the stock buds you arnt getting the sound you should. A good set of aftermarket in ear monitors may help you. Also check out a headphone amp. The amps are not so heavy you cant wear them to run so that may be a solution for you as well.

yeah, I have to use an amp with mine, I also notice that the volume seems to have been reduced somewhat with the firmware update, I’m assuming this is to allow for more headroom with the replay gain feature.

Thanks for the replies. The earphones I use are a different pair that I purchased. I can’t wear the bud ones, they just don’t stay in my ears. My earphones work great w/my c250 so I have to assume it’s not them. The C250’s volume is awesome. I sometimes have it on 2 or 3 clicks and I can hear great. When I’m in noisy areas I click it up a few more. I have never had to max it out. With the fuze I have to click it at least 1/2 way up the volume line before it sounds good and I can hear it sufficiently. I’m somewhat disappointed. I’ll have to look into the amp feature. It will depend on how much they cost and how cumbersome they are. Otherwise, I’ll have to return the fuze and stick with the 250.

Thanks again!!!

@lrando wrote:

Thanks for the replies. The earphones I use are a different pair that I purchased. I can’t wear the bud ones, they just don’t stay in my ears. My earphones work great w/my c250 so I have to assume it’s not them. The C250’s volume is awesome. I sometimes have it on 2 or 3 clicks and I can hear great. When I’m in noisy areas I click it up a few more. I have never had to max it out. With the fuze I have to click it at least 1/2 way up the volume line before it sounds good and I can hear it sufficiently. I’m somewhat disappointed. I’ll have to look into the amp feature. It will depend on how much they cost and how cumbersome they are. Otherwise, I’ll have to return the fuze and stick with the 250.

Thanks again!!!

So having the volume setting on high, and the volume set to the max (or neat the maximum) isn’t loud enough for you?

At work, with my Sennheiser CX-400’s I have the volume at 1/4 and can hear it perfectly fine.  Halfway up, it starts getting loud.  If I turn it all the way up it just hurts my hears.  Even with my Denon 1001’s I find the volume to be more than adequate.  When I use headphones, I think the volume is fine.  When I plug the Fuze into a car’s auxiliary port (or speakers I have home), that’s when I find the volume to be somewhat lacking.  Other than that, I think it’s fine.

I mean, look at this topic: Caution: Potential Hearing Damage from FUZE defect 

Due to the volume glitch (that was fixed in the last firmware), the volume would sometimes jump to the max.  This person complained that it was so loud it hurt his ears and almost caused damage.  And here you are saying the maximum volume isn’t high enough.   

Anyway, like others have said, look for an amp.  If that doesn’t do it for you, then there’s not much else to do.

@lrando wrote:

Thanks again!!!

I can heartily recommend the FiiO line of headphone amps.  They are small and cute, are not a bit cumbersome and perform well…and the price for admission isn’t bad either!:smiley:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

I can heartily recommend the FiiO line of headphone amps.  They are small and cute, are not a bit cumbersome and perform well…and the price for admission isn’t bad either!:smiley:

Yes, they work very well, even if “more volume” isn’t the only thing you’re after.I use them all the time!

To be perfectly honest, I have not tried them out in a noisy situation. Sitting in my lvg room last night, where it was very quiet, I found I had to put it over 1/2 way up before the music sounded sufficient and I could hear all the tones correctly. I run outside in traffic and am worried about having to crank it way up. It may be fine. I’m comparing it to the c250 which I probably shouldn’t do. I’ll try it out later and see. It just seems like I have to get it up high before the tones of the music come through. I agree listening to it too loudly is not good for your hearing!

I had read a few people on here complaining that it was too loud when they had it set real low. I was surprised to find the opposite. But that may be from that glitch you spoke of, that has been fixed.

re: Earphones you suggest. Are these in the ear or over the ear? I can’t wear the ones that just sit in the ear. I have really weird ears and they don’t stay in. I use the kind that go in your ear, but have a hook that goes over your ear.

Thanks again for all the input

@lrando wrote:

To be perfectly honest, I have not tried them out in a noisy situation. Sitting in my lvg room last night, where it was very quiet, I found I had to put it over 1/2 way up before the music sounded sufficient and I could hear all the tones correctly. I run outside in traffic and am worried about having to crank it way up. It may be fine. I’m comparing it to the c250 which I probably shouldn’t do. I’ll try it out later and see. It just seems like I have to get it up high before the tones of the music come through. I agree listening to it too loudly is not good for your hearing!

I had read a few people on here complaining that it was too loud when they had it set real low. I was surprised to find the opposite. But that may be from that glitch you spoke of, that has been fixed.

re: Earphones you suggest. Are these in the ear or over the ear? I can’t wear the ones that just sit in the ear. I have really weird ears and they don’t stay in. I use the kind that go in your ear, but have a hook that goes over your ear.

Thanks again for all the input

I’ve experience the volume glitch numerous times.  All it does is bring the volume to the maximum (can’t go any higher).  And people complained that it was too loud and damaging to their hearing.  Though to be fair, I believe those who complain were using in-ear headphones. 

So it really depends on the headphone (and type) that you use.  What headphones do you have?  Like you said, let’s not compare the Fuze to the c250 and let’s just try to deal with this problem.  Of course, try using the Fuze with your current headphones in a noisy situation to see how they are first.  You might find them fine as is.

If not, then your options are to get an amp, another player or other headphones.  

As others have said above, have a look at the Fiio or Boostaroo amps.  I’ve never owned one but I’ve been considering buying one (for when I plug the Fuze in a car or on my speakers).  So it might be a good way to go.

About the earphones I suggested.  They are in-ear, but the canalphones that actually go in the ear.  When you say in-ear, do you think of these:

Those aren’t the same thing as the ones I have.  Those don’t stay in my ears either (actually my right ear only).  So I never use that type.   

The ones I use are the Sennheiser CX-400 (see on Amazon.com for 30$):

They actually in the your ear canal.  The little end of it comes in 3 different size, and they acutally squeeze inside your ear.  So they block out sounds from the outside and do a good job at staying inside the ear.  I’ve never had a problem with these falling out.  The only problem is that a lot of people don’t like how these type of earphones feel, they find them uncomfortable.  I can have them in for a few hours and it doesn’t realy bother me.  So it might be an option for you.

The other headphones I use are the Denon 1001.  They are circumaural headphones (around the ear, I know the Amazon name says on-ear but they actually go around).  Though I wouldn’t use these for running or any sort of physical activity.

I also own the Bose in-ear headphones.  They’re really not that great and ALWAYS fall out of my ears.  I do not recommend these.

I would suggest the Sennheiser’s (or similar) headphone.  Right now I am listening to my music with my Sennheiser’s (I’m at work on my lunch break), the volume is near halfway and I find it fine like this.  So those are just some options for you.   

Message Edited by Corilof on 04-15-2009 10:25 AM

Message Edited by Corilof on 04-15-2009 11:33 AM

Message Edited by Corilof on 04-15-2009 11:33 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ll try the ones I have 1st. The in ear ones I have “tried” are the ones that come with it. I can never get those to stay in! I may try the ones you suggested although I have a problem wearing ear plug type of things. I didn’t realize the “amp” was a separate item. I thought it was part of the earpiece. I use my Sansa mostly when I jog so not sure an amp would be feasible. I will try it in a noisy situation today and see what happens.

@lrando wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ll try the ones I have 1st. The in ear ones I have “tried” are the ones that come with it. I can never get those to stay in! I may try the ones you suggested although I have a problem wearing ear plug type of things. I didn’t realize the “amp” was a separate item. I thought it was part of the earpiece. I use my Sansa mostly when I jog so not sure an amp would be feasible. I will try it in a noisy situation today and see what happens.

The FiiO’s are tiny.  They wouldn’t take up hardly any room at all.  I use mine all of the time in a variety of applications…:smiley:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@lrando wrote:

The FiiO’s are tiny.  They wouldn’t take up hardly any room at all.  I use mine all of the time in a variety of applications…:smiley:

I borrowed one from a friend today (I dont own one myself) and took it on my run… Put the fuze in my pocket, and the amp in an old Cell phone case and cliped it to my waistband, worked great once I tied the drawstring on my pants.

@conversionbox wrote:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@lrando wrote:

I borrowed one from a friend today (I dont own one myself) and took it on my run… Put the fuze in my pocket, and the amp in an old Cell phone case and cliped it to my waistband, worked great once I tied the drawstring on my pants.

You must have borrowed the E3, that one doesn’t have a clip on it. They’re both useful, the E5 just more versatile and powerful…it also works better with really low-impedance high sensitivity IEM’s.

Well I finally took the fuze back. the volume just didn’t seem right. I got a new one. This one is great. I loaded all my songs on and they sound good. The volume seems correct. I’m so glad I decided to try a new one!

@lrando wrote:
Well I finally took the fuze back. the volume just didn’t seem right. I got a new one. This one is great. I loaded all my songs on and they sound good. The volume seems correct. I’m so glad I decided to try a new one!

That’s great to hear…it’s a nice little player, and I’m glad you didn’t just chuck it into the trash and try something else, but gave the Fuze another shot. :smiley:

Yeah, I’m glad too. I liked everything about it…except it just seemed that the volume/sound wasn’t quite right. I even checked on the 1st one to be sure the headphones were plugged in all the way and they were. This one seems to be better. My only other problem had been finding a case w/a good belt clip for running. I found one for a different mp3 player that works really well. So I’m all set!

How low was the volume on your first one? I just finished installing and loading and I swear, this is ridiculous. I have to strain to hear, and I bought some pretty good headphones.

I had 2. The 1st one seemed very low. I had to have it over 1/2 up before I could hear it. That was in the quiet house!!! I took that back and got a 2nd one. This one was better, but still not great, then i realized I didn’t have the headphone cord plugged completely in. It has to be pushed a little hard until it clicks. Then it was great. Make sure you have the cord ALL the way in. That may have been the problem w/the 1st one I had.