Volume Label

Hi All,

Got a new 8 GB Fuze - and wanted to get rid of all the stuff that comes preloaded - songs and video etc… so I used the format command - in the player - to clear it. I thought it was the fastest and easiest as the stuff is loaded in MTP and I don’t have windows machine - I use linux (Kubuntu 8.10) in MSC mode.  When I  used to connect - it used to pop up with sansa fuze as the volume label - now it just says - Volume (vfat). Does anyone know how to fix it? It works fine - but I would like it back to the way it was. Was thinking of reset to factory defaults… not sure if that would fix it or mess things up.

All those Fuze gurus - please help.

1 Like

Interesting that the device idents in a generic fashion.  The only thing I can think of is the devicon.fil file in the root directory may have information.

The Fuze will recognize any mp3, ogg, FLAC, or wma file with proper tags on it.  The Sansa prefers ID3 v2.3 ISO 8859-1.

I just had a thought!  Unmount the device first!  When it refreshes, the basic folder structure should be regenerated.

Plug in, and see what’s in that root directory.  What is it (scratching head) :  mount /dev/sdb /mnt/usb

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 12-03-2008 01:35 AM

Just guessing:

#> mkdosfs -n ‘MyFuze’ /dev/whateveryoufuzedevicefilemightbe

Disclaimer: I haven’t tried that, so be careful, read the man page etc. :slight_smile:

I’ve tried the mkdosfs trick - or you can use mtools to assign the label.

thanks for the suggestions - interesting twist - I found a windows machine to plug it into - winxp - and it mounts and is called sansa - so it is just linux that is confused… I don’t know how to fix that - i will try the mkdosfs and mtools - but it is strange

I’m having the same trouble with the same label thing. I can’t figure out how to get the mlabel thing to work. I’m trying to rename it to Sansa FUZE, does anyone here know how to do that?

ETA: Nevermind, I found how to do it myself.

Message Edited by SilverWolf on 03-01-2009 06:09 PM

None of the above mlabel / mkdosfs tricks have worked for me.  I’m using Kubuntu 9.04.  I’ve also read and tried the advice here and here.

And still the stupid thing keeps coming up as “Volume (vfat)” and mounting to /media/disk-1 each time I unmount, rename, remove, reinsert, and remount.

Now had I known that reformatting would have caused this hassle, I would have just deleted the files manually.  :angry:

@silverwolf wrote:

I’m having the same trouble with the same label thing. I can’t figure out how to get the mlabel thing to work. I’m trying to rename it to Sansa FUZE, does anyone here know how to do that?

And would you be so kind as to briefly tell the other folks who are having difficulty?

@tenzip wrote:

@silverwolf wrote:

And would you be so kind as to briefly tell the other folks who are having difficulty?

OK the instructions I used were [url=https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RenameUSBDrive] 

I don’t know  why dogoti is having trouble with this. Here is what I did:

I checked the partions with

sudo fdisk -l

I saw that the Fuze was listed as “Disk /dev/sdf: 2023 MB, 2023227392 bytes”

Then I unmounted the Fuze with:

sudo umount /dev/sdf

Then I checked what label was for the device was with: 

sudo mlabel -i /dev/sdf -s ::

Then I changed the volume name with:

sudo mlabel -i /dev/sdf ::Sansa\_FUZE

The partition names would be different for each person. In order to identify which partition label is the Sansa Fuze I found it useful to run the fdisk twice, once without the FUZE plugged in, and the second time with the FUZE plugged in. Whereever I have /dev/sdf, you should put what partition your FUZE is.

Well, with a bit more reading, I’ve solved my own problem, and I’m back to post the problem I had.

When I tried to rename the volume, I was getting this message:

“Add mtools_skip_check=1 to your .mtoolsrc file to skip this test”

I assumed that this was optional to comply with.  It isn’t.  So navigate to your home directory and edit/create the .mtoolsrc file.

me@linux:~$ nano -w .mtoolsrc

…add  “mtools_skip_check=1” on a line. Save and exit.

Ensure that the Fuze is unmounted, then (using mlabel):

me@linux:~$ sudo mlabel p:“Sansa Fuze”

Then I removed, reinserted, and mounted the drive.  It appears labeled Sansa Fuze, and mounts to /media/Sansa Fuze

SilverWolf wrote: 

OK the instructions I used were [url=https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RenameUSBDrive] 

<snip>

@dogoti wrote:

Well, with a bit more reading, I’ve solved my own problem, and I’m back to post the problem I had.

<snip>

Thank you both.  Always helpful to see how someone else worked out an issue.