2 GB Fuze FAT Is Corrupted, USB Device Not Recognized

It is not recognized even when attempting to force it into MSC mode. What can be done to get this thing reformatted?

If you can turn it on, then format it via the player’s menu. Otherwise return it and get a new player.

That’s your answer? I’ve had the thing for over a year. I can’t turn it on, so you’re saying it’s worthless now?

Call 1-866-SANDISK. This is a user forum. SanDisk might have some other tricks to try.

Oh. I thought you had it for under a year. You tried connecting it to another pc? Did you try charging it using a wall charger? Perhaps others have some ideas. Did you call Sandisk support?

I did speak to SanDisk before coming here. They suggested returning it to the place of purchase. Not really an option. I connected it to multiple PCs and and operating systems and they all see it as an unrecognized USB device. I’m starting to think that there isn’t any way to overcome this corrupt FAT. Can any one recommend an MTP device that is more reliable than the stuff I’ve used from Sansa? This is probably the 3rd Fuze that has had continual database errors, and now this FAT problem. I think it’s time to try someone else (and, no, not an iPod).

Here’s a thread that solved the same message. I don’t know if it will work for you.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&thread.id=26006

You’ll probably get better info about other brands at anythingbutipod.com , where they are busy comparing and contrasting.

But it surprises me that you have had so many database failures–way more than the norm.  My guess is that you are putting in files with tags that make the Sansa go bonkers. It is overly sensitive to tags that computers, and possibly other players, will tolerate–things like long comments, imbedded images, Unicode characters from Linux or Mac. Take a look at the ID3 tag FAQ 

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=announcements&thread.id=201&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Either that or you’re sending DRM files through Windows Media Player and it’s doing something typically mysterious and obnoxious. 

Is there a reason you need MTP? DRM files, audiobooks? Because the straightforwardness of MSC mode is one of the best things about the Sansa–and except for DRM, you can do all the synching, playlisting, etc. that you want in MSC with MediaMonkey. 

I now have a 16GB card in my 4GB Fuze, I move mp3s in and out all the time, and in about 2 years I’ve had exactly one Refreshing Database hangup because of a file I got from shall we say unreliable sources. Now everything goes through mp3tag (as set in the FAQ) and I’ve had no bad behavior. 

I’ll take a look at that other thread and see if it lends any clues on how to get this Fuze up and running again. I hate to trash it because I really do like the player. You’re right in that I probably am sending tags that are driving the database nuts. I use WMP 11 to do all of my music management and I typically just do a shuffle of random tracks to the device. I notice that when WMP makes the list it notes that the device will be full after transfer. However, all of the tracks that WMP has decided to put on there never fit so something is askew to begin with. I’m not surprised that I get so many ‘no room for db’ errors. The reason that I need MTP is because I use WMP as my central repository for not only my ripped tracks, but also for my Rhapsody and Napster tracks. I would gladly use something else, assuming I can get this device working again, that would handle DRM.

That referenced thread was one of the many I read while searching for a solution earlier. All of the solutions depend on the computer recognizing the device. That’s the hurdle I can’t get past.

Nothing handles DRM tracks but Windows Media Player.

You might consider getting plain mp3s from eMusic or Amazon instead… And then fix the tags with mp3tag before transferring. 

Do you know anyone else with a Fuze or E200? It might be worth forcing MSC while using someone else’s cord. And try putting it on hold and methodically holding down each button–center, <<, >> --while connecting. You never know. 

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 01-13-2010 04:58 PM

The situation has slightly changed today, though I have no idea why. This time when I connect it and try to force MSC mode I still get the FAT corrupted message but it then goes to a Connected status. Windows Explorer shows one Removable Disk but I can’t format that disk or access it. I don’t know why waiting a day made a difference but who understands the fickleness of these devices. I seem to be one step closer to getting this thing to work again.

As far as the DRM issue, when I purchase tracks I always get them as mp3. The whole idea of having the subscription services is so that one doesn’t have to purchase all of the music one wishes to listen to. If I had to pay for each song that I’ve put on my players it would definitely outweigh the cost of a couple of subscription services. I am totally enamored with the subscription music model.

Have you tried chkdsk?

Start/Run/chkdsk X: (X being the driveletter). 

I don’t hold out much hope for that, but it’s easy enough to try. 

You could also try data recovery software to see if it can unscramble the FAT.

This one is not exactly intuitive, but it’s free:

http://download.cnet.com/PC-Inspector-File-Recovery/3000-2248_4-10118663.html

I know you’re trying to fix the drive and not recover data, but maybe it will make it readable again to Windows, and then you could format.

After a couple attempts to hook the device up I finally had it recognized by the computer and was able to reformat it. This time when putting songs on using WMP I made sure I left at least 90 MB free. I’m going to run it for a couple days and see what happens.

Awesome.

For a FAT corruption, you have two basic options, after connecting in MSC mode, right click on My Computer and use teh manage option, navigating to the Fuze, then selecting “check volume for errors” under Tools; or use the old school chkdsk utility to recover the FAT.

The command will be chkdsk <drive letter>: /f where the drive letter assigned to the Sansa is substituted in the command line, plus the /f command toggle, telling chkdsk to Fix the errors found.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I’m obviously not as clever as I think I am. When I turned it on this morning I saw the popular ‘Not enough space for music DB. Please free 90 MB.’ I’m including an image of what I see when I look at the device in Windows Explorer. There is plenty of space available but the directories are all strange.

Message Edited by JeffGeorge on 01-15-2010 06:40 PM

ChkDsk usually fixes that. You can also run the same process by right-clicking on the drive, going to Properties and the Tools tab and running Error-Checking.  Try it. If not, format the unit and add your albums in small batches. You’re putting on something it doesn’t like, and you need to figure out what it is.

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 01-14-2010 06:59 AM

I’m not completely convinced that the ‘no space for DB’ message is related to a particular track. It seems that no matter how much or how little music I put on the device I will inevitably get this message. As a test I put about 300 songs on it and listened to them in order, though not all at once. I would have to restart the device a few times after it would auto power down when I wasn’t using it, though it would always start up where I left off. I was able to make it through about half the tracks when I left it idle in the middle of a song. This time when I tried to turn it on it gave me the message about the DB. What would cause that to happen from one power up to the next? 

It’s mysterious. I don’t know the ins and outs of assembling a database. Maybe it can do some modest amount of error correction but gets overloaded. Maybe the order in which it reads the files matters. I really don’t know.

But those goofy filenames, especially if Windows can’t simply delete them, do call for Chkdsk, and it usually fixes them. And the Please Free is generally cured with either Chkdsk or formatting.

Have you done a format and cleaned up the tags in mp3tag before adding the music? And you’re still getting the problem?  

Message Edited by TomJensen on 05-03-2010 06:26 PM

Today, instead of reformatting like I usually do, I ran chkdsk instead. It ran very quickly and the device then showed many, many recovered file fragments. When I disconnected the device it rebuilt the database and all of the songs were there again. I suppose it could have something to do with the way I tag my files but I’m not sure what part of the tags could be causing issues. I’d like to stop getting this ‘not enough space’ problem but at least I seem to have a temporary fix for it.