Voice recordings... View to Fuze and Fuze to View

I have a view and a friend of mine has a Fuze.

If I make a voice recording on my View and send it to them they can not play it on their Fuze.

And if they make a voice recording on their Fuze and send it to me I can not play it on my View.

We tried saving it as a .wav… tried .wma… tried .mp3…

Any ideas?

The file has to be in the proper Record (Voice) folder.  The Sansa will recognize the file name generated by the other device, but it has to be in the wav format and in the correct location.

You can, while transferring via PC, compress that file into an mp3 as well- you can also edit a proper ID3 tag, allowing you to save space.  If the recording is in mp3 format, it’s quite portable.

Otherwise, as a wav, just be sure it’s in the proper folder, and the Sansa will play it.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

The file has to be in the proper Record (Voice) folder.  The Sansa will recognize the file name generated by the other device, but it has to be in the wav format and in the correct location. 

Nope, it won’t.

That’s exactly what we did.

Most curious!  This is a wav file taken from the View to play on the Fuze, right?

How is the file named by the View (sorry, I don’t have one, believe it or not…I have a collection of other models)?

Remember, if all else fails, just compress it into a transportable MP3 file while it’s on the PC.  That takes mere seconds, and will save you the space on the Fuze too.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

It doesn’t work going either way…

I send them 061708_01.wav from my View to play on they’re Fuze.

They send me 061608-201050.wav from their Fuze to play on my View.

Neither works.   My file at least shows in their player but will not play.   Their file does not even show up on my player at all even though it’s in the RECORD->VOICE folder.

That’s odd. I have swapped a voice wav from the Fuze > Clip > e280v2. The Clip format is a sequential number VORC001 , the Fuze and e280v2 are date and time-stamped 041908-122402. These files swap happily between the three units.

Something must be different on the View. Why not make the files small and portable MP3s? A PC has to be in the loop for transfer anyway.

Bob :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 06-17-2008 05:47 PM

Something must be different on the View.

Wouldn’t THAT be a shocker!  LOL

Yeah, that’s probably what we’ll have to do, convert to mp3.

Thanks for your input.

something IS differeont on the View compared to Clip, E200 and Fuze. :smiley:

the View wav encoding is different and unsupported with Fuze, Clip or e200.

View encodes in ADPCM codec, while Fuze, Clip and E200 encode with standard PCM.  Because the players only support wav format they encode in, view cannot play others, and vice versa.

Thanks Thoma!  I thought you might have an idea, thinking of your earlier View details with the video files.

I was very tempted to pick one up yesterday for “medical experiments”.  I like the form factor and big screen.  Plus with a video out, it’s similar to the TakeTV, another cool toy to try.

Looks like the WAV-MP3 option is the hot ticket for transferring voice recordings.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue: