Voice (and FM) Recording format

I have noticed that the voice recording feature on the c200 series records in WAV format.  There is no way to change this format.  Does anyone know if there are any plans in future firmware updates to be able to record in a different format (such as MP3 or WMA)?  I like to email these recordings, and it is a hassle to convert the files to a compressed format in order to email them (due to size limitations on email servers).

Any thoughts?

In fact, you want your device to record FM and voice in a .mp3 or .wma ?

For the mp3 converter, I know a software: Audacity

It’s easy to find on google, it’s free, and it allows you to make a lot of thing with your audio files :wink:

I use my Sansa Clip to record my classes.

I’d like my device to record voice in a compacted format! (anyone format, mp3, wma, etc)

Sometimes I have to erase some musics to liberate space…

…and always I have to convert the archives to a compact format (thing that I did not need to make when used one another one mp3 it was stolen)

I suggest that in the next firmwares updates this improvement.

The recording feature is just that it’s a feature. A side note, a bonus. You shouldn’t buy a Sansa Clip on the basis that it can record audio. If your looking for a voice recorder than you need to look for a voice recorder not an mp3 player. There are many voice recorders out there that can record in different compressed formats and give you a lot more functionality. Now that’s not to say that the clip couldn’t improve some of the recording functionality and it would be great if it did. However it’s a feature and not the main reason I own one.

I have a 4 GB Sansa Fuze and I also think it should have the ability to record in a compressed format, such as FLAC, MP3, WMA, etc.  The reason I got a Fuze instead of a basic voice recorder is because I want to listen to music, watch videos, and look at photos as well as voice recording.

@brxengineer wrote:

I have noticed that the voice recording feature on the c200 series records in WAV format.  There is no way to change this format.  Does anyone know if there are any plans in future firmware updates to be able to record in a different format (such as MP3 or WMA)?  I like to email these recordings, and it is a hassle to convert the files to a compressed format in order to email them (due to size limitations on email servers).

Any thoughts?

You could put Rockbox (www.rockbox.org) on your c200.  I have it on my e200 and it can record in mp3.