ogg/FLAC/mp3 voice recording

i know this isn’t a new question but why no compressed voice recording? i’ve heard the arguments re: battery life, etc but i’d like the *choice*. i don’t want to have to keep a vast amount of internal storage just to do some voice recordings. or maybe even the choice of where to record to (ie uSD card)?

bloody great little player, mind.

ogg and flac is supported. Make sure you have the latest firmware. I’d like the option to choose where to save (internal or card) suggestion though.

correct me if i’m wrong here… sandisk will have to pay extra if the player can record voice and directly encode it to mp3 (the sansa players will be more expensive), it will also need massive amount of processing power to encode the recorded files to the format you mentioned… battery life might suffer (only last a couple of years or less) and the device might (always) overheat…

the idea of recording voice directly to the card is great though…

Message Edited by marqck on 07-30-2009 02:21 AM

Well, there is no choice. But you should note the format of recorded WAVE files has been choosen quite appropriate: 16bit/24kHz/mono files, which take up about 2.8MB per minute. This is not to bad given the fact that the recording capabilities are just an added bonus to a bloody great little player. Yes, it is! :smiley:

@r0cka wrote:

i know this isn’t a new question but why no compressed voice recording?

Put simply, it would require more guts than the little guy’s got.

If you record something you want to keep, you can always move it to your computer, rip it down to .mp3 format and transfer it back to your player in a much smaller file size. :wink:

yeah, all good points. thanks all.

the only reason i asked really was because i have a lot of stuff on the player itself that i’ll never remove (ie my favourite albums/tracks) and then use the card for ‘transient’ stuff that i may/will change.

i must admit, i hadn’t looked at what the format was for the WAVs. that isn’t too bad, i suppose.

i still think choosing where you record to is an achievable goal, though! :slight_smile:

@tapeworm wrote:

@r0cka wrote:

i know this isn’t a new question but why no compressed voice recording?

Put simply, it would require more guts than the little guy’s got.

You’d have to “upgrade” to the older e200 or c200 model and run (isn’t this always the answer?) rockbox.  That has both lossy compression in a variety of bitrates, and lossless (wavpack) compression.  Hopefully this will be in the Fuze release by the time it is done.