Voice recording codec

I was super surprised when I used the voice recording function and my 2 G clip ran out of room recording (10 hrs) before it ran out of battery (15 hrs).

There are so many compressions including lossless coedecs which could be used. MP3 is one instead of uncompressed WAV or one of the many compressed WAV types, PCM is one example. I seems like this would be a very simple fix and such a no brainer. I have other players which can record 30 or more hrs but would like to use this with it’s battery life. Nice sound on this little thing but this bugs me quite a lot as I bought this partially for this purpose.

@corey_bunker wrote:

I was super surprised when I used the voice recording function and my 2 G clip ran out of room recording (10 hrs) before it ran out of battery (15 hrs).

There are so many compressions including lossless coedecs which could be used. MP3 is one instead of uncompressed WAV or one of the many compressed WAV types, PCM is one example. I seems like this would be a very simple fix and such a no brainer. I have other players which can record 30 or more hrs but would like to use this with it’s battery life. Nice sound on this little thing but this bugs me quite a lot as I bought this partially for this purpose.

I too would like the saved format to be a user selected feature.   I’m not sure how much processing power it would require to be done on the fly, but im sure Sansa Engineers/Programmers could look to see if an alternate recording format could be used.    I wouldn’t want them to take away the WAV format though,  it is lossless.   An additional option for a compressed format would be awesome.    You could get a clip with more memory,   the 4 or 8 gb version.   Or a Fuze that has a memory slot.

Cheers,

hi

my sansa clip have little noise on background recorded voice, how remove noise. adobe auditon3 or amother soft…

my sansa clip have frimwarew 01.01.18f.how update frimware? and what is mean F letter in 1.1.18f?

are u have pic from new screen frimware start up ?

With my best regards

@corey_bunker wrote:

There are so many compressions including lossless coedecs which could be used. MP3 is one instead of uncompressed WAV

The patents ought to run out sometime before long, so maybe this doesn’t apply anymore.  Mp3 recorders did have a significant license fee over just a player, so that’s a disincentive for a maker to hand it out as a free update if they have to pay a few dollars for each copy.

As far as processing power, a lot older and less beefy processors managed it.  Rockbox on my e200 does mp3 and wavepack (lossless compression) recording.

hi

is new frimware 01.01.30 solve recording noise?or not? because i must clean noise with adobe auditon that is not simple.

can u help me?

thanks a lot

anoyher issue :

voice recording is weak and i must volum up by adobe auditon by increase db and Equlizer.

how adjust volum record?is new frimware 1.1.30 solve it?or rockbox solve it?

Unfortunately due to the fact the hardware mic being a small condenser type that may be hard to fix but what they can fix it the fact they do not compress the recording file from native wav to something about ten times smaller. It is really terrible with so many very good compressions types out there (some free) that they use this form of uncompressed wav. It is sad when I run out of recording room before I run out of battery 10 hrs of recording requires 4 Gb of space it is so annoying to have to convert each file to make it a reasonable size. Common guys this is such an easy fix, just a few hours to add the compression and test it! It makes the recording function sort of mute.

Not solved

See this thread for a viable solution:

Clip Voice Recorder Distortion - clipfix

Would rather see Ogg Vorbis compression used, myself.

That said, WAV is a fine open-standard file format, too.  Compression would eat up the battery life, so I can compress on my computer instead.

My Sansa Clip is stuck on Voice Recording…I’ve tried everything.  Does someone know how to fix this?  I mean besides smashing the thing with a hammer??

Try holding the power switch up, in the ON position, about 10-15 seconds, to reset the player.

Bob  :wink:

I have a sanso sandisk and when i switch it on it stays on the voice function, i cannot get to my music files. Please help

@edwardmarshall wrote:

I have a sanso sandisk and when i switch it on it stays on the voice function, i cannot get to my music files. Please help

This question is a litle off-topic for this thread, but depending on what model of player you have you should be able to scroll (either by pressing the buttons on either side of the center button or the up & down ones) to the other Main Menu options. If you’re not in the Main menu and in a sub-menu instead, pressing the Home button will bring you back to this top menu so you can navigate to the Music menu option. :smiley:

Get an mp3 recorder if you want to get decent recordings with a small file size. Sony has a few models PX312,AX412, and UX 512 that record in mp3, have a card slot, have a mic jack, and use AAA batteries. The PX312 is under $50.

Recordings made on the Clip+ ■■■■. The mic is low quality, and there is no way to set the mic sensitivity. The Clip+ is a very good mp3 player, but is horrible as a recorder.