Vista and 4gb clip

I just got a new vista computer, and it won’t recognize my clip.  Device Manager has it as Unknown Device with a ! .  I need a driver but can’t find one.  Firmware update doesn’t work.  Can I get some help?  

There is no specific driver for the clip other than what comes pre-loaded with winxp and later. You need to specify what usb mode the device is set to when you post this type of query. If it is set to MTP or AUTO (probably the default), I believe you will need a late version of WMP installed. If you set it and leave it in MSC mode it will be recognized as a usb device, you can use windows explorer to drop albums into the clip’s music folder. Most of us seem to prefer this mode of operation, the only drawbacks are if you want to use protected subscription music plus you will assume responsibility for keeping things synchronized which for me at least is no drawback at all.

Thanks for the help.

I believe you will need a late version of WMP installed. 

OK, so I go to Microsoft downloads–there does not appear to be a WMP for vista there 

you can use windows explorer to drop albums into the clip’s music folder

The problem there is that I use the clip for exercise, and keeping a constant cadence by adding Beats per Minute to each song title.  I can’t find a way to organize the music by song title, only by albums.

You need to specify what usb mode the device is set to when you post this type of query

In MSC, it shows up as  “removable disk”, in mtp, it doesn’t show up in My Computer.  In either mode, WMP doesn’t recognize it as a device.  I strongly dislike windows (is that okay???).

Thanks in advance for any help. 

The music is organized on a regular clip using tag data. While there are a number of tags available, the album field will be used by the clip, the song title might default to filename but I always set in tag field even if same name. The play order is by track# when that is present and I strongly recommend that field be set. All of this can be readily accomplished by mp3tag, a free utility and is easier to do than describe.

The clip+ has added windows folder name navigation as an option but I don’t have one of those yet. 

It may be that WMP sets these fields for you, I don’t use it so I can’t comment, but most posters in these groups seem to prefer to work in MSC mode and control these things manually, unless using protected subscription music.

Thanks Dave.  While the BPM info doesn’t show up in Windows explorer, it shows up on the clip. I guess I’ll have to go with that.