Virus detected on my cruzer flash. Help!

Hope this is the correct forum…

A virus  named:  I-Worm/Brontok-LG was detected on my cruzer micro 2 gig in the LaunchU3.exe

program by AVG8. This virus is detected every time i plug in the flash drive.

I’ve tried to turn off the ‘read only’ so that i can delete the 3 files (Autorun, LaunchU3 and Launchpad.zip.

I am unable to delete any of these 3 files because it says that they are on an optical drive and cannot be

deleted…

AVG cannot remove the worm to thw vault for the same reason (optical drive).

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you,

savagcl

Think I got it removed by downloading the latest LaunchU3…

I’ll keep watching for it tho.

thanks,

savagcl

Nope! I was wrong its still there…

I did install the latest LaunchU3 program (dated 2007) for the cruzer micro.

The install it appeared to workbut apparently it didn’t. So, I still have the worm

• back to original message.

Note: The install said it would format the drive and to make backups. I did the backup

but after the install, my data was still there, drive was not formatted.

thanks,

savagcl

Can you manually format the drive? That should eliminate all data on it. And as far as backing up before, wouldn’t this be self-defeating? You are trying to remove the infected files, not preserve them. If you back up to your hard drive, then the virus is on there as well. Not good.

On the other hand, you get what you pay for, virus detection-wise. Isn’t AVG free? This wouldn’t be the first time it has been known to register a ‘false’ positve where a more elaborate and extensive (paid) virus protection program would not pick it up.

I just got the virus today.  How did you fix it.  I’ve ran Black Ice, AVG, Norton, And others.  I don’t know how to reformat a optical drive.  Help PLEASE!!!

cas 

I, too, am having the same issue this morning with my SanDisk 4GB Cruzer Micro.  My AVG Professional 8.0 Resident Shield alert reports this when I click on “My Computer.”  A pop up appears showing the file name to be F:\LaunchU3.exe, and the threat is:  virus identified I-worm/Brontok.Lg. When I remove the SanDisk, this message no longer pops up.  My AVG is not the free version, but one that I purchased from Grisoft.  I’ve run a complete scan of my computer using the AVG and it doesn’t show any infections on my computer.  I also installed Trend Micro PC-cillin and a complete computer scan shows it to be free of viruses, worms, or Trojans. 

ADDENDUM:  I just received an AVG antivirus update and this corrected the problem.  Obviously, this was a false positive and was a problem with the AVG software.  Whew! What a relief…

Message Edited by maggiesmom on 10-12-2008 10:37 AM

Message Edited by maggiesmom on 10-12-2008 10:46 AM

Seems a lot of people are experiencing this same issue. All are using AVG. If this doesn’t solve itself with the update, I suggest you ‘cruze’ on over (pun intended) to SanDisk’s other forum for other devices here. While you might find others to help with your problem on this forum, you’ve got a better chance on the other one, as most of the people who frequent this site are mostly concerned and knowledgeable about the mp3 players.

The other forum not only has specific boards for your devices, but also recent threads regarding this exact issue/problem. :smiley:

This virus hit my machine 12/07. Quietly it has deleted over 3,000 photos, it also duplicates data, jpgs, deletes programs entirely (I lost Microsoft Publisher, Huey, Quicken) scrabbles your file order. . This happens so slow that you will not see any thing for quite awhile. I did not realize something was wrong until I saw the “rats”. Emerald_rat,.jpg,Lighting_rat.jpg,White_rat.jpg, This virus is so smart that it changed the jpg to png files and then I could not find them again. It also hide them in different places. Along with that you will find Skype.jpg files. This is a nasty, dangerous virus. I have deleted it 5 times and it comes back. I have ran 5 softwares (McAffee, SpyDoctor, Spy Terminator, PC Doctor, Windows Defender) against it and not one has found it. I suggest that you run the word “rat.jpg” and skype” and “rat” search. Also look for the picture of the rat. They look like game pieces in bight colors. Please email me if you get help in getting some rat poison to kill these pests. Keepsakes@aol.com

@marilyn wrote:

This virus hit my machine 12/07. Quietly it has deleted over 3,000 photos, it also duplicates data, jpgs, deletes programs entirely (I lost Microsoft Publisher, Huey, Quicken) scrabbles your file order. . This happens so slow that you will not see any thing for quite awhile. I did not realize something was wrong until I saw the “rats”. Emerald_rat,.jpg,Lighting_rat.jpg,White_rat.jpg, This virus is so smart that it changed the jpg to png files and then I could not find them again. It also hide them in different places. Along with that you will find Skype.jpg files. This is a nasty, dangerous virus. I have deleted it 5 times and it comes back. I have ran 5 softwares (McAffee, SpyDoctor, Spy Terminator, PC Doctor, Windows Defender) against it and not one has found it. I suggest that you run the word “rat.jpg” and skype” and “rat” search. Also look for the picture of the rat. They look like game pieces in bight colors. Please email me if you get help in getting some rat poison to kill these pests. Keepsakes@aol.com

this is not the same issue as described in the post.

the i-worm virus is a false detaction by AVG. they have since released an update that resolves the false detection. just make sure to update your AVG to the latest virus definition.

Interesting to have read all your threads.

I just bought a Cruzer 16, VirexScan it and found an unknown virus in LaunchU3.exe like many of you. Since I am running a Mac, I reformatted the SanDisk® drive as MS DOS (Fat) in Disk Utility and off I went. 

Format it. only way

check this out. http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081010140228AAR1frS

@nissanskyline wrote:
Format it. only way

Why would you want to do this, when simply updating your AVG anti-virus software will eliminate the false positive that erroneously reports a virus? The AVG program was updated to fix this issue 8 months ago.

This is confirmed both earlier in this thread and also in the link to Yahoo Answers you provided.

hey man i just got my sandisk cruzer from amazon and got it today so i plug it in to my computer and notice something weird thing goin on once i plug in my usb flash drive sometimes this message shows up sayin i have to hold down my power button to restart my macbook and during this my whole screen freezes until i restart my computer other times when i plug in my usb flash my itunes opens for no apparent reason…also im did what u said to do with the disk utility but still it seems that U3 disk keeps coming on eveytime i put in my usb…how can i delete it and get rid of this mess? i got rid of the virus i think by using claxav that seemed to get rid of the virus known as I-Worm/Brontok-LG but still wanna get rid of that stupid zip file and u3 please help!!!

Try SanDisk’s other forum for the best advice for this.

so heres the thing i bought a 16 gig flash drive and it gave my computer a virus. my question is how does a brannew flash drive streight out of the box get a virus put on it ?. who put it on and what is sandisk doing about it ?