Using a text editor to remove ID3 data

I just bought my first MP3 player, which is the Sansa Clip+. I don’t like the way it organizes songs if ID3 data is present, so I opened up the MP3 using a text editor (notepad++), and removed what I think is the whole ID3 area on top. The MP3 is now sorted by filename, which is the way I want it. Is there anything wrong with doing this?

skunkbad wrote:
I just bought my first MP3 player, which is the Sansa Clip+. I don’t like the way it organizes songs if ID3 data is present, so I opened up the MP3 using a text editor (notepad++), and removed what I think is the whole ID3 area on top. The MP3 is now sorted by filename, which is the way I want it. Is there anything wrong with doing this?

You could have just used folder browsing, and saved yourself the effort.:wink:

Marvin_Martian wrote:

skunkbad wrote:

You could have just used folder browsing, and saved yourself the effort.:wink:

Truer words were never spoken. The world isn’t going to end because of what you’ve done, but what if you want the ID3 tag or the infromation contained within at some point in the future? Now it is gone for good. Sure, it can be restored but that’s time-consuming and a lot of unnecessary work.

How would I use folder browsing? I don’t see this in the manual, or maybe I just don’t know what I’m looking at. Like I said, this is my first MP3 player.

Scroll down the list of Music options.

“Folders” is at the bottom of the Music menu.

I would also suggest that a text editor is probably not the best way to strip the ID3 tags. You likely removed some music data too, or had a few bits or bytes of the ID3 header data left over, which could potentially confuse the player.

Message Edited by gwk1967 on 01-11-2010 05:32 PM

Scroll down the list of Music Options.

Folder view is mentioned in the User’s Manual, although not very prominently nor explained at all.

From page 16:

Playing Music
Follow these steps to play music, audiobooks, and voice recordings:
1.  Select Music from the Main Menu. Voice recordings are located in Recordings.
2.  Select Play All, Recently Added, Artists, Albums, Songs, Genres, My Top Rated,
Playlists, Podcasts, Audiobooks, Recordings (Voice), or Folders.  

This subject could (and should) be expounded upon as it is a highly desired feature that came about to some degree as a result of discussions here on this forum. It would be nice if it got a bit more press in the Manual.

Wow, awesome! Thanks so much for letting me know about the Folder view. It’s really what I was hoping for by going to “songs”, but it is what it is. Actually, if I hadn’t come here and downloaded the manual, I would have never figured out anything. Thanks again!

Using a program such as MP3Tag will allow you to erase ID tag information on as many mp3s you select (one click operation). Your whole collection if thats what you prefer. It’s a very good program, I used it to oranise my ID tag information based on the folders the mp3s were in.

Veni