I hate ID3

Just recieved my spanking new sansa express, to find to my dismay that it insists on creating a database built on ID3 tags - which I really don’t want (if i did i’d get an overpriced ipod).

I bought this to replace an overtly fragile Samsung product which would allow me to listen to folders (rather than categories), making the management of the music on my mp3 player very easy.

Is there anyway to change the database management on the express (with some kind of fantastic firmware update)?

Or is building tedious playlists the only option?

(sorry to moderator for add on)

Just to clarify - its not the ID3 tag I hate, it’s the automatic sorting by tags (choosing tracks by category, rather than just having folders which seems a lot more intuitive - especially within the 2gb)

Am I the only person who wants a folder browsing system?  I now know that i’ll never get one with the express - does anyone know any alternative machines which use this way of ordering?  I’m pretty much resigned to giving this player away as a very early christmas present…

No offence but the ID3 tag is the best way in my opinion, doing it by folder would be a step backwards.

Also you can get software to organise your files id3 tag by copying it from the filename if that makes it easier.

cat123 wrote:

No offence but the ID3 tag is the best way in my opinion, doing it by folder would be a step backwards.

Also you can get software to organise your files id3 tag by copying it from the filename if that makes it easier.

I agree.

Theres nothing you can do with file tree that you can not do with ID3 tags. But theres plenty (genre, artist, album, etc…) that you can not do with just file tree. It seems to me that every manufacturer is dgoing the ID3 route.

<Don’t hate the player, hate the game>

I’ll certainly concede that with larger sized players (8gb etc) the self-management that a file-tree system requires is impractical (and yes it is a step backwards - or the step before depending which way you’re looking at it).

However, within a size limit of 2gb there is a more frequent turnover of tracks on the player (with a larger sizes you just put on most of your collection), and the restrictions of the automatic categorising system become a lot more apparent.

If, for instance, I wish to listen to a short mix of songs by a single artist, followed by a mix album, I require a specific playlist to do so; furthermore choosing an album/artist/song will play that single selection then stop.  These may sound like nitpicking to you all but it is these characteristics, which require the constant waiting on your player ready to choose the track you want to in advance, that caused me to reject the ipod craze.

Given that there is a growing monopoly in the mp3 player market, i’d expect the rivals NOT to conform; but as far as I can tell the only difference between ipods and everything else out on the market nowadays is the price and the wheely thing.

Sigh - Does anyone know how to fix a headphone jack and an led screen onto my usb stick?

ID3 tags are easier to search through for songs, and playlist managing is just a small learning curve. For example, I’m used to using folders, and I just make a playlist for each folder. I can then pick an artist, play that set of songs, then pick whichever playlist I want, and hear those. It doesn’t take long to switch. I’d have to switch folders if I was using a file-tree system.

It is an extra step if you use drag and drop, but if you use media player software, you can create your playlists as you transfer the songs. Build the mix you want, then transfer it.

There are pluses to folder structures, but I don’t see a simple way to use both ID3 tags and folders at the same time.

Sounds like you need to buy one of the £15 2gb players from Tesco’s or ebay, they don’t do ID3 and need AAA batteries but do support the folder structure only - not ID3

So as a final requiem - my sans  a died today, four weeks after purchasing; it will no longer turn on, no matter whether i charge it from the computer or even the mains (I’ve got a converter thing).

So goodbye to bad rubbish.

In terms of this argument, whilst I imagine i’m very much in the minority over the database thing, I still feel begruded that the problems i had with this thing (from the ‘No tracks found’ messages of artists uploaded, to the refusal to delete parts of data (quirkily enough it woudn’t let me delete the Pixies or Weezer - it would say that the device was temporarily unavailable, and my only option was to format - perhaps it just had its own taste in music)) are faults due to this cumbersome, unreliable and aggresively annoying file management system.

Though to be fair the reason it died is more likely due to ■■■■ manufacture.

Anyway to all you nay sayers, i’m glad the music player industry is catering for your tastes - enjoy your coldplay albums on predictive shuffle and repeat whilst you can.

As it is, i’ll go back to my cd player and wait till the revolution comes.

Oooh or maybe i’ll go back to tapes.

Sansa ■■■■■