Folder Functions On Sansa Players(PLEASE CONSIDER)

I know almost everyone that I know wishes that there was folder functions on the sansa clip and other players because the average person isn’t going to know how to edit ID3 tags and etc. And knowing that like me, my ID3 tags on the majority my songs are missing or broken. Will SanDisk ever consider adding this function like many other mp3 players have? It would be so much easier if you could drag and drop your files and view them by filename on your sansa player. If people that do want to view files by ID3 tags, there should also be a sandisk ID3 editor or something to make tag editing a lot easier.

Message Edited by d_headshot on 09-11-2008 03:22 PM

You will find here ( http://users.forthnet.gr/the/jtclipper/ ) a very good tag editor which permit to extract tag based on the filename.

I think that using tag is a better solution because it oblige to take care of his music, simplify managing music but I must agree that sometime it’s easier to navigate through the music by the folders tree.

Any word at all about considering folder functions?

If you browse a bit, you’ll discover there’s already been several ‘words’ in repsonse to this subject. Unfortunately, they’re all the same, “NO”!

The free program mp3Tag makes it easier to edit tags. Even so, navigation by tags is a pain. Any slight variation in a tag will cause the player to group it separately. 

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Why is the answer no? Sansa makes flash drives easily so how hard could it be to implement folder functions in an mp3 player like many others have?

A few players by other brands(I won’t name them) allow a choice of navigation by folders or by tags. Most players use either tags or folders but not both. Having just navigation by folders might turn away some people. Having navigation by both is the obvious choice.

I agree with the original poster *whole*heartedly*!!

Being required to edit id3 tags, or use an external player to create and copy playlists, just to play a folder full of music, podcasts, voice recordings, whatever you have in mind, is just stupid.

Granted most users love the id3/genre/etc functions, but refusing absolutely to implement a simple “play by directory” function is a good way to lose customers to other players…

I know I couldn’t recommend FUZE to my friends, because of this lapse, and I’ll never buy another player that does not have this function.

Message Edited by jaycock on 11-07-2008 09:43 PM

@jaycock wrote:

I agree with the original poster *whole*heartedly*!!

Being required to edit id3 tags, or use an external player to create and copy playlists, just to play a folder full of music, podcasts, voice recordings, whatever you have in mind, is just stupid.

Granted most users love the id3/genre/etc functions, but refusing absolutely to implement a simple “play by directory” function is a good way to lose customers to other players…

I know I couldn’t recommend FUZE to my friends, because of this lapse, and I’ll never buy another player that does not have this function.

Message Edited by jaycock on 11-07-2008 09:43 PM

I’m fine with not having folder functions on the fuze now I just had to get used to it. Once you get your tags edited it’s not hard to keep up when you get more music.

But I think the ultamite feature would be to switch between folder/file viewing and id3 viewing like the old MPIO players.

“I’m fine with not having folder functions on the fuze now I just had to get used to it. Once you get your tags edited it’s not hard to keep up when you get more music.”

Quite often I put podcasts on the player that I want to listen to just once. I don’t want to have to correct the tags on these. It isn’t so bad correcting tags on music you want to keep on the player for a long time and listen to over and over though. It would be nice if the player could use an algorithm to decide if a new artist tag(or other tag) is similar enough to an existing  tag and give you the choice on the player to change the tag to the existing one. I hate it when slight variations in a tag cause the file to sort separately.