Does it support play by folder?

The Sansa Fuse does not seem to support this feature.  I am using USB MSC mode.

I had a Meizu MusicCard and it allows me to play by folder since there is a “Browser” selection, and I can use it to go to the particular folder to play a particular MP3 file or to play the whole folder including any sub-folders inside that folder.

I tried creating a M3U playlist, but unfortunately the M3U playlist cannot play Chinese filename MP3 files.

Now seems the only option is to go back to USB MTP mode, and create the playlist from Windows Media.  But this is the last option I want to try.

Any suggesstion?

If it does not support play by folder, I just wondering what is the purpose to have 16 or 32 G of flash storage.  It will be very difficult to search for the file you want to play.  If you have thousnds of songs, you will most likely want to put them in folders and sub-folders.  It is just difficult to arrange songs via album or artist names, etc.

As to your playlist, you might want to try m3u8 instead of plain m3u.  Someone recently posted that m3u8 actually works on the Fuze and should address this kind of problem.

Okay, I finally rename all my files and folders to use English-only names, then update the ID3 tags using iTune.  Then build the M3U for each list.  It works okay this way, but took me half a day of work!

Then I found a poping sond problem.  See my other post.

Just want to emphasize that “play by folder” feature is still in the top of my wish list for firmware update.  Using playlist to organize files means that you always need to use a computer.  That is okay for music, but I always download low bit-rate talk show MP3 recordings using my mobile handset when I am on the go, and I want to transfer the files to the Fuse via the micro SD card.  Yes, you can use “recently added songs” to play that file, but you cannot play previously recorded files.  I really don’t understand why Sandisk do not have “play by folder” feature, as this seems such a useful and simple feature that most large capacity MP3 players should have.

I agree browse/play by folder would be extremely useful. Sometimes I want to transfer over a bunch of files that I only want to listen to once, and it’s annoying having to tag them properly just for that purpose.

I strongly root for Play by folder!

@hyiu00 wrote:

Okay, I finally rename all my files and folders to use English-only names, then update the ID3 tags using iTune.  Then build the M3U for each list.  It works okay this way, but took me half a day of work!

I’ve written a free Windows program to automatically create playlists from folders on my Clip. I guess it would work with the Fuze too, as long as it’s on MSC mode. You might want to give it a try. There’s a link to the latest version in my sig. 

Oh yes. In the name of all that is holy, please add play by folder. For that matter, how about just letting the player alphabetize files and organizing them by filename, regardless of idtag, even if you can’t play by folder…  singles are still kind of a mess, the same as my old m250 (nope, no rockbox for that, unfortunately).

Elias: very cool.

But still - whatt if you have a huge bunch of single tunes all by different artists in a folder? It seems useless to even put them IN a folder.

If you have a bunch of single tunes in a folder, you could use mp3tag. It’s free. Install it, open it, navigate to the folder with Change Directory, highlight all the files, make the Album or Genre something unique like Today’s Singles or Pepperoni Pizza, and then just use the Album or Genre category on the Sansa. Takes less time to do than to explain here. 

That is a very handy band-aid, thanks much.  Of course, that means every time you want to add new songs… you have to do that. 

I don’t understand why it is so difficult for the player to just treat the files like they appear in windows… my 512 mb samsung did that (i know, why don’t I just go back to my samsung if i was so darn happy with it). I just figured this would’ve been solved by now, given the rise in popularity of the sansa players.

@edison_carter wrote:

But still - whatt if you have a huge bunch of single tunes all by different artists in a folder? It seems useless to even put them IN a folder.

I don’t have a lot of ‘compliation’ CD’s; maybe 3 on the internal memory and 3 on my card. But when I ripped them, Windows Media Player created and automatically put them all into a ‘Various Artists’ folder. They are like this also on my player.

So it’s not useless to put them into a folder at all. At least you know where they are so you can find them if you need to while connected to your computer. C1u’s idea of creating and naming them with a ‘custom’ genre tag so you can play them as a collection is a good one, and with MP3Tag really doesn’t take much time at all.

As far as your complaint that you would have to do with with any future additions; that is true. But you should be examining and/or editing the tags for accuracy on everything you put on your player anyway, so it actually takes no more time at all. Just a couple more mouse-clicks. You can even add your ‘user-created’ genre tags to the default genre list in MP3tag so you don’t have to type it in each time; just select it from the drop-down menu. :smiley:

I guess my point is, having to tag things as well as give them info in the file name is essentially doing the same job twice. Even if there was a tool that was built into Windows that somehow automagically tagged your file when you named it from the get go, you are still having to name the file names and info about them 2x. 

I don’t really care what genre my tunes are in, where they came from, when they were written, whether there’s a tiny picture of the album art. All I want is for the files to be in order alphabetically or by number, bam, from the get go, just like they are in Windows, so when I copy them over to the player, I see the same thing.

Oh, and it is also odd that there’s no track numbers assigned… I’ve started renaming all my tunes, in the tags (arg) “1.Baby Got Tags”  “2.Tags In Bloom” etc etc when they are part of an album.

I do appreciate all the tips though, people. Gracias.

@c1u31355 wrote:
If you have a bunch of single tunes in a folder, you could use mp3tag. It’s free. Install it, open it, navigate to the folder with Change Directory, highlight all the files, make the Album or Genre something unique like Today’s Singles or Pepperoni Pizza, and then just use the Album or Genre category on the Sansa. Takes less time to do than to explain here. 

As much as I deplore tag-based navigation, I do use tags to store album, artist, title and other information, and MPTag has my highest recommendation for functionality, customizability, effectiveness, ease of use, speed and developer and community support.  It’s easily the best program of its kind, IMHO.

@edison_carter wrote:

I don’t understand why it is so difficult for the player to just treat the files like they appear in windows… my 512 mb samsung did that (i know, why don’t I just go back to my samsung if i was so darn happy with it). I just figured this would’ve been solved by now, given the rise in popularity of the sansa players.

I agree, and my Cowon mp3 player has a choice of folder-browsing, too. I was surprised when I found out Sansas don’t offer a choice, but I bought one anyway because I felt the positives outweigh the negatives. I still hope they’ll offer folder-browsing sooner or later, though. While I know how to edit ID-tags, I find it simpler just to drop the files in folders and organize them on the player the same way I do on the computer.

Elias, THANK YOU! Your AutoM3U program is great. I like the fact that when I add new files to the player, it only takes one button-click to update the playlists. Very easy.

I’d also like to see play by folder. Until then, here’s a work around that is quick and easy.

1. Organize your music on your computer by folders.

2. Copy over all these folders to the the Music folder in the Fuze.

3. In Windows Explorer, open each folder in the Fuze, use Ctrl-A to mark all the mp3 files in each folder. Then right click and you should get a menu with “Create Playlist” in it. When you select this it will create a file “New Playlist.pla”. You can then rename it whatever you want, likely the name of the folder. You can just leave it in the same folder with the mp3’s. It is not necessary to move the playlist file to the Fuze’s “playlist” folder.

4. You can then double click on the .pla file, select “references” and you can move songs up and down the list to change the play order.

5. If you add or delete songs from the folder, simply delete the old .pla file and create a new one.

I bought a 8gB Sansa Fuze fro $89.99 (silver) from Radio Shack.

I am very impressed by:

a) Micro SD slot

b) Excellent FM radio reception

c) High quality audio and settings

I am neutral on the large connector, dunno why it could not be mini USB. I wonder if it is dust and water ressistant.

However not able to play by folder is going to force me to invest unknown hours to repackage my 1500+ songs, which is unacceptable. By the time I am finished with the task the player is at the end of its service life, another player will be in its place.

So unfortunately, I am taking back to Radio shack for it’s 14 days full refund. I will be either (a) using my 1gB player for a while.  (b) Look into IPOD Nano/Touch.

Sandisk please do something. I want to be your new loyal customer… don’t force me away.

@ct3456 wrote:

I am very impressed by:

a) Micro SD slot

I am neutral on the large connector, dunno why it could not be mini USB. I wonder if it is dust and water ressistant.

However not able to play by folder is going to force me to invest unknown hours to repackage my 1500+ songs, which is unacceptable. By the time I am finished with the task the player is at the end of its service life, another player will be in its place.

So unfortunately, I am taking back to Radio shack for it’s 14 days full refund. I will be either (a) using my 1gB player for a while.  (b) Look into IPOD Nano/Touch.

Sandisk please do something. I want to be your new loyal customer… don’t force me away.

I don’t think iPuds support playing by folder either, actually.

@ct3456 wrote:

I am neutral on the large connector, dunno why it could not be mini USB. I wonder if it is dust and water ressistant

Its been fine for me, for about a year. Mini-USB wouldn’t provide line-out for peripherals. There are so few that from a practical standpoint, it hardly matters.

Ha! Good luck with that! iPods don’t support navigation by folder - never have, and about 99.999% probability they never will. At least Sansa has it on the roadmap to get that in a future release, perhaps even this year.

@ct3456 wrote:

I am very impressed by:

a) Micro SD slot

Just so you know… I have 103,000 Songs (I Just counted them) I was able to tag them all properly Artist, Album, Track Name, Album Art and Genre, in 2 days. ITs Easy. There are two ways to do it Really. Mp3tag is a really easy program that can search Amazon or a few other sites for your info, and tag for you. OR there is Media Monkey, this is a software that will manage your library and tag, in much the same way mp3tag will, the difference IMO is that Media Monkey is guicker.

An Ipod has a big connector too, infact we are often asked if they are the same (They are not). And NO IPOD WILL SUPPORT FOLDER PLAYBACK… EVER! (I had a friend ask the apple people at CES this year and they said it to his face that they wont waste time on that). 

PLUS anybody here tell me your opinion in the grand scheme of things… was having to tag your music that big a deal? Sure it was a bit of a PITA at first but overall was it that bad?

Message Edited by Conversionbox on 03-08-2009 09:51 PM