Updater working but not SMC?!

I own a Sansa Fuze updated with the latest firmware .256

I am running a Windows XP machine Service Pack 2 - I am trying to get the Sansa Media Convertor tool working.

To date I have tried the following:

1. Installed SMC and made sure I have plugged the device in via a USB port on the computer (not a hub) BEFORE opening SMC

2. Uninstalled SMC and reinstalled (with a restart in between for good measure) numerous times as per someone elses recommendation

3. Installed a K-Lite Codec pack to make sure I have a number of the latest xVid codecs

4. Tried setting the Fuzes USB mode to Auto Detect, MTP and MSC each time to see if that would make any difference

5. I have even tried using WinAVI (with Directx9c)

USB works fine too and the device can be detected by the machine.

Erm, what else - oh yeah, the Sansa Updater tool seems to work.  Yeah, I know, weird.  It will report my Sansa as being detected and display the firmware version and other stuff.  Just SMC refuses to play ball.

Just a bit annoying really - any ideas anyone? Apart from, “format your Windows machine” which can’t happen as it’s not really mine!

TIA

Additional piece of info: I’ve also installed Quicktime 7.

You haven’t really mentioned what is not working about the SMC. Where/what part of it is not working?

@lukev wrote:
You haven’t really mentioned what is not working about the SMC. Where/what part of it is not working?

That’s odd, I thought I replied - erm, well it’s the ol’ problem with SMC not detecting my fuze - I plug in my fuze, open SMC and all I ever get is agrey box with an exclamation mark in a triangle.

I have crawled these forums like a web-millipede in the hope of finding something that works for me - nothing so far.

finally resolved this one.  I reinstalled Windows Media Player 11 which during the install reported some corruption.

Completely unsintalled Windows Media Player (which rolls back to version 10) and then reinstalled WMP11 and it worked.

Hope this helps someone.