Ultra USB 3.0 flash drive problem

I bought an Ultra USB 3.0 128gb flash drive with the vault software.  

I was copying a large amount of data into the vault, when it seemed to freeze.

since then, the computer will not see  it when I plug it in.

I still get the “dong” sound that something has been inserted into the usb port, but it is not present when I look for it,  

I have tried 3 different computers with the same results.

And for sure, I was not downloading anywhere near 128gb - I think it was probably under 20.  

I bought 2 on amazon, one for my daughter, and she has not had any issues, although she has not tried to copy any large blocks of data into the vault.  

Running windows Vista Home Pro on a Toshiba laptop.

Thanks for any help.  


I have tried 3 different computers with the same results.

Return it.  Something isn’t right.  http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5232/~/return-material-authorization-(rma)-process

The vault is find for things that need to be secure: resumes, legal documents, medical records.  But people frequently try to put everything into it: movies, music, hard drive backups, etc and it fails.  It wasn’t designed for that type of use.  Those things can be stored on the drive fine, just not inside the vault.

Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback.

Can you recommend anyway to recover this drive?

in case I am out of warranty, and can’t get a replacement?  



  1. With the flash drive removed, reboot the laptop, then insert the flash drive.  See if that helps.

  2. RIGHT click on the My Computer icon, then select Management.  Then select Disk Management.  Does the flash drive show up in the Disk Mgmnt screen?  If so, what does it show up as?  Then Right click on the drive and see what it shows. 

So I am doing this at my computer at work - a windows 7 desktop.

Disk manager does not see it, however it does show up on the device manager.

It has always shown up on the device manager whenever I have checked, but it cannot pupulate the “Volumes” window - it gives the error “Volume information for this disk cannot be found”.  What is also interesting is that in the general tab, it says “this device is working properly”!  Go figure.  

Thanks for the RMA link Ed - they agreed to replace it, however, they did not admit that the Vault software has any limitations.

Oh well, can’t win them all.  I’ll just know better next time, not to try and copy a huge folder into the vault - at least not all at once.