Transferring Playlists from PC to Fuze

1.  What operating system (OS) are you using? (Windows, Mac, Linux, ???)  -   Windows

2.  What version of OS are you using? (Vista, XP, Ubuntu, Redhat, OSX 10.4, ???)  -  XP

3.  What service pack do you have installed? – Service Pack 2

4.  What version of firmware does your Fuze have? – V01.01.11A

5.  What version of Windows Media Player do you have? Version 10

6.  What are the steps you are doing? I’m attempting to synchronize my WMP Playlists to my Fuze. I am following the steps outlined in the used manual (1) Create playlist in WMP (2) hook Fuze up to computer (3) Setup Sync to manual (4) Select WMP playlist to synch (5) start synch.

7.  What do you expect to happen? – I expect the WMP computer Playlists and their contents to show up on my Fuze the same way they show up in Windows Media Player – ie: The name of the playlists are the same, and the contents (songs in each playlist) are the same. I then expect the Fuze to play all of the songs synchronized to it. In other words, I expect the Fuze to be a mirror image of the computer’s WMP playlists.

8.  What is actually happening? – The playlist titles are NOT transferred when I manually synchronize a particular playlist. Instead, only the songs are transferred. So, for example, after synchronizing the first playlist (Electronica), most (but sometimes not all) of the songs are transferred to the Fuze. But, the playlist (Electronica) is not created. Instead, the songs just show up in a general pool of songs. When I manually transfer the second playlist (Acoustic Guitar), the same thing happens – some but not all of the songs are transferred, but not to a created playlist. Instead, the songs are added to the same general pool of songs as the first playlist. This happens every time I manually synchronize the Fuze. In addition, when I attempt to play some of the songs that are successfully transferred to the Fuze, they are stuck on pause, and no amount of pushing the pause/play button will cause them to begin playing. If these “paused” songs are encountered by the Fuze when play a list of songs (“Blues” for example) the Fuze skips those songs, and plays the next “non-paused” song.

9.    Any error messages - No.

I have 394 songs loaded (it should have loaded 625), with 4026MB free. All 625 songs I am attempting to load (with approximately 10 exceptions) are purchased MP3 titles from Amazon.com.

To summarize – (1) All of my MP3 titles will not transfer to the Fuze  (2) none of my playlists will transfer to the Fuze, just some of the songs (3) some of the songs that show up on the Fuze are stuck in “pause”, and pushing the Pause/Play button will not take them out of “pause”.

So, is my Fuze defective, or am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance for the help.

I don’t use WMP but your first step is to update your firmware to the latest, for you it will be 1.01.22.

I don’t know if your problem was a bug fixed with a later realse of firmware but there are many bugs that are and you should upgrade to the latest as the first step.

I had downloaded the latest firmware before I even got my Fuze in the mail, both firmwares actually because I didn’t know which I was getting. It was the first thing I did with the Fuze, mainly for the OGG support.

Message Edited by hazza on 01-17-2009 02:16 PM

Congrats on being the first person to use that sticky to build your post. It is awesome to know exactly whats goin on. First things first, you should upgrade your firmwire. Then Using the Fuzes internall settings, format your fuze (settings> System settings> Format) Then re-sync your playlists. Also if you downloaded the songs from Amazon, you should use WMP to add them (make sure you are in MTP mode on the fuze). You say you manually added the playlists, what did you do exactly? Have you tried adding them with a player other than WMP (Media Monkey, Winamp)?

Message Edited by Conversionbox on 01-16-2009 11:16 PM

hazza – Thanks for the response. I will update the firmware first thing tomorrow.

Conversionbox – Thanks for the response. Yeah, I’ve been on enough forums to know that if a procedure/format exists for asking questions, it’s there for a reason – use it! I will definitely update the firmware tomorrow.  I will then format and re-sync the playlists. I’m only using WMP 10 to synchronize the music – I haven’t used anything else.  In my prior attempts to load songs on the Fuze, I left it in “Auto” mode instead of manually switching to MTP. I take it that’s not a good idea?

The steps I used for synchronization are pretty much what I described above  (1) Create playlists in WMP and add all appropriate songs to each playlist (2) Hook Fuze up to the computer (3) select Setup Sync in WMP, choose manual sync instead of automatic (4) select one playlist in the WMP Sync List menu to synchronize (6) when the selected playlist and its titles appear in the right panel on the screen (the Fuze appears in the left panel), hit “start sync. WMP then tells you as each song is transferred. Then, repeat the same process for each playlist. Problem is, for some reason, not all songs are transferred. Now that I think about it, WMP has given me an error message during the sync process – it sometimes says it can’t access a file, and then doesn’t transfer it. Which is ridiculous, because the files are all on my hard drive, and they all play perfectly on my computer.  I haven’t upgraded to WMP version 11 because I’ve heard it is much worse than 10.

Another question – is it possible to manually create different playlists on the Fuze without a computer? The only “playlist” that is on my Fuze is the “Go List”.

Thanks again for the help.

@pearlsvx wrote:

I left it in “Auto” mode instead of manually switching to MTP. I take it that’s not a good idea?

Auto is not bad thing, it can be a source of frustration for various reasons. Take for example, Windows has a runaway process that is consuming near on 100% of the processor time. You connect up your Fuze (which is normally connects in MTP) your Fuze does not get a response in a timely manner so switches to MSC mode.

You notice that it takes a little while for the connection to happen but think nothing of it. When you open WMP you wonder why there is no device. If you set MTP mode the Fuze would have connected in that mode no matter what.

Under normal circumstances Auto is perfectly fine, it’s that 1% of the time that leaves you scratching your head.

In my prior attempts to load songs on the Fuze, I left it in “Auto” mode instead of manually switching to MTP. I take it that’s not a good idea?

Problem is, for some reason, not all songs are transferred. Now that I think about it, WMP has given me an error message during the sync process – it sometimes says it can’t access a file, and then doesn’t transfer it. Which is ridiculous, because the files are all on my hard drive, and they all play perfectly on my computer.

I haven’t upgraded to WMP version 11 because I’ve heard it is much worse than 10.

Another question – is it possible to manually create different playlists on the Fuze without a computer? The only “playlist” that is on my Fuze is the “Go List”.

Thanks again for the help.

OK I would not suggest using Auto Mode, because it can be a PITA. When I first got my fuze I used auto but I got tired of the issues it caused. I use WMP almost exclusivly, so I leave it in MTP. 

Is any of your music from a subscription service, like Rhapsody or E-music? Sometimes it can say that your files cant be accessed because you dont have permission to move it, it will play on your PC but not on your fuze.

Most people Agree that WMP 11 is worse than 10, I dont know why, I have never had a problem with WMP 11, It works perfectly for me  (on 3 systems)

No you cannot create playlists on the fuze other than the Go List. That I know of. 

I would suggest that you try a program like WinAmp, or a Playlist editing software off of the internet (Just Google It).

Hi - I’m jumping onto this thread although I’m not sure it is still active. My problem is similar to the one described, although I haven’t gotten any error messages and WMP 10 (which I’m using seems to be transferring my files (book chapters). Here’s what happens: I create a playlist with, say, about five files, hook up my Fuze which is registed in the pane on the right, then press the Copy button. WMP runs throught the files as if it is transferring them, but they never show up on the Fuze. I suspect I am missing a step somewhere but can’t figure out what it might be. Any thoughts?

P.S. I have it set for Manua transferl 

@conversionbox wrote:

OK I would not suggest using Auto Mode, because it can be a PITA. When I first got my fuze I used auto but I got tired of the issues it caused. I use WMP almost exclusivly, so I leave it in MTP. 

Is any of your music from a subscription service, like Rhapsody or E-music? Sometimes it can say that your files cant be accessed because you dont have permission to move it, it will play on your PC but not on your fuze.

Most people Agree that WMP 11 is worse than 10, I dont know why, I have never had a problem with WMP 11, It works perfectly for me  (on 3 systems)

No you cannot create playlists on the fuze other than the Go List. That I know of. 

I would suggest that you try a program like WinAmp, or a Playlist editing software off of the internet (Just Google It).

I realize this is off topic here; but the “pee”, “eye”, “tee” “a” in your post is totally unacceptable.  Please refrain from this type of terminology in the future, as there are children as well as adults that frequent this forum.  The issue with that abbreveation is because we have seen the extended version and we have seen this way too many times. There are people on here as young as 12 (that admit their age) and this is supposed to be a Family Friendly forum.  I think you would agree that not everyone on here is an Adult (As I said there are a few on here that I know are under 16). So if you would be a little more sensitive that people can and will be offended.  We all know what the “A” stands for…

Haha I’m just kidding.

On topic.  There’s a guide on how to create a playlist in MSC mode using WMP10 (I assume it would be similar in WMP11):

How to create & modify M3U playlist to work under MSC mode using only WMP10

Tapeworm always made a post here on how to create a playlist in WinAmp:

Tapeworm wrote: 

1. Connect your player in MSC mode. 
  2. Create a new, blank playlist in Winamp. (Double-check it as I’ve found it sometimes adds your entire library to it un-announced). I usually right-click on PLAYLISTS . . .NEW.
  3. Open a Windows Explorer pane with your player’s MUSIC folder in it ( NOT  your music folder/library  on your computer! ).
  4. Drag’n’drop the files you want on the playlist from the Explorer window to the large playlist pane in Winamp.
  5. When finished with your playlist, double-click on the playlist name in the left pane. This will send the contents of the playlist up to the Playlist Editor pane.
  6. Click on FILE|Save Playlist. Here you will get the standard Windows SAVE box. Name your playlist again (should be the same as you named it in Winamp) and save in your MUSIC folder on your player ( NOT  in the PLAYLISTS folder as you would think. This is where you get the [empty] playlists).
  7. If you have a SDHC card, you can make another playlist for music on that too. Just save it in the root directory with the music or in the MUSIC file (if you have one; I don’t).

Eazy-Peazy-Lemon-Squeezy ! :stuck_out_tongue:

Note: You can  not  combine the music from your player’s internal memory and the SD card into a single playlist however. There are a few programs and people who have written scripts claiming they do this, but as yet I haven’t found one that works.

Disclaimer: Ths works for me using Winamp running Windows. You’re running Linux, so “your mileage may vary!” :smiley:

Note that both the methods I listed above are for MSC mode (which is what I use).  If you’re willing to give that a try then it should work.  If you want to stick with MTP mode, you’ll have to try something else.

Also note that if you’re using “odd” characters in your song names (like accents) then an .m3u playlist won’t recognize them (and they will not show up).  Using the .m3u8 format will work.

I use WinAmp to make my playlists in MSC mode.  I plug in my Fuze, create a playlist using the songs from the Fuze (not my hard drive) and then save the playlist in the music folder of the Fuze (in .m3u8 mode).  

Message Edited by Corilof on 04-15-2009 11:07 AM