Creating a Playlist Without Synching

Is it possible to create a playlist on the Fuze with files that already exist on the player?  The way I use it is I transferred all the songs I want on the player, using Windows Explorer.  Now I want to create playlists of those files.   When I add new songs I’ll usually purchase songs in batches and I like to create a playlist of those songs for when I’m in the car, I don’t want to fuss around with the player while driving.  This is my second mp3 player and on my previous one I could do that using the software that came with it.  It had a windows explorer looking interface.  I’d just right click under playlist, give it a name, then drag and drop to that existing one.  Only took a few seconds since the songs were already on my player. 

I’ve spent about 30 minutes browsing this forum and messing around with Windows Media Player per the manual, (which I only use to play videos, therefore I"m not that familiar with it all) and could not figure it out.  Quite frustrating.  I never would have bought one if I knew it was this complicated.  I should just be able to drag and drop and do everything manual wtihout having to synchronize or open up other applications.

Thanks for any help.  Hopefully it’s something quite easy and I"m just an ■■■■■. 

Not really. But you dont have to re-sync the music. But you will need to create an m3u playlist file for each of them and then sync those on the player. Do a search of this forum for exactly how to do it.

oblong wrote:

When I add new songs I’ll usually purchase songs in batches and I like to create a playlist of those songs for when I’m in the car, I don’t want to fuss around with the player while driving.

Couldn’t you just play the ‘Recently Added’ list?

That and the Go List but what happens if you want more? Thats what I understood the OP to mean.

@oblong wrote:

Is it possible to create a playlist on the Fuze with files that already exist on the player?  The way I use it is I transferred all the songs I want on the player, using Windows Explorer.  Now I want to create playlists of those files.   

I have the same question as Oblong.  All I want to do is set up a playlist with the songs I have already loaded into my Fuze. It should be simple but I spent 3 hours this afternoon trying to accomplish this, but can’t.

When I use Windows Media Player, and make a playlist and then sync it, it copies the song over again and then I have two on my Fuze.

Any help for a frustrated guy would be appreciated.

Direct playlist integration is only possible in MTP mode, as you described (right-click, start list, drag titles to the list).  If you would like to do this in MSC mode, the playlist must be in m3u format.

Wazzat?  Look up the Sanse Playlister here on the forum.  Yes, it’s misspelled “Sanse”.  With this utility, you can build playlists easily. I just searched for related posts…this application might not work well with your Fuze, I think it is for the v1 e200.  You could I use Winamp or Media Monkey- both programs have a playlist utility built in, and I believe they can generate .m3u format lists.

I just walked in the door, and haven’t had my evening coffee yet.  Who recalls the other recent playlist utility here on the forum?

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 01-14-2010 06:57 PM

neutron_bob wrote:

Direct playlist integration is only possible in MTP mode, as you described (right-click, start list, drag titles to the list).  If you would like to do this in MSC mode, the playlist must be in m3u format.

Wazzat?  Look up the Sanse Playlister here on the forum.  Yes, it’s misspelled “Sanse”.  With this utility, you can build playlists easily. I just searched for related posts…this application might not work well with your Fuze, I think it is for the v1 e200.  You could I use Winamp or Media Monkey- both programs have a playlist utility built in, and I believe they can generate .m3u format lists.

I just walked in the door, and haven’t had my evening coffee yet.  Who recalls the other recent playlist utility here on the forum?

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 01-14-2010 06:57 PM

Wasn’t it called YAPL ?

D’Oh!

YAPL was the name, here’s a link from the search results.  This references YAPL 0.3.  I see a post later that he’s produced a YAPL 0.4 as well, with bug fixes, here.

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 01-14-2010 07:14 PM

.pla playlist files work just fine on the Fuze and allow access to internal and external memory. There’s really no reason to use M3U files just because you are in MSC mode.

Indeed, .pla format lists are better, especially since one isn’t bogged down with relative path issues.  M3U format lists, on close inspection, are a virtual Rubik’s Cube.

I prefer .pla, but then again I’m spoiled, I guess.  If available in your utility, see if pla format is available; many utilities have this option.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Yea… I am spoiled too. Every other device I have ever had allowed you to create playlists on the device. As many as you want.

While listening to music.

:wink:

Sorry… my tolerance for this huge inadequacy of the Fuze has come to an end. That is such a basic feature. Feels like Fisher Price made the Fuze. Get with the program Sansa and give us real playlisting already.

Peregrine wrote:

Yea… I am spoiled too. Every other device I have ever had allowed you to create playlists on the device. As many as you want.

While listening to music.

:wink:

Sorry… my tolerance for this huge inadequacy of the Fuze has come to an end. That is such a basic feature. Feels like Fisher Price made the Fuze. Get with the program Sansa and give us real playlisting already.

I still don’t need no steenking playlists

:smileyvery-happy: 

Bet my paycheck versus yours if it was implemented you would use at least a few of the features of OTF Playlisting (like INSERT or APPEND or REMOVE).

You would Marvin. Don’t fight it, man. Give in.

There is a reason every other player on Earth supports OTF playlisting. (or at least 90% of them).

Message Edited by TomJensen on 05-03-2010 06:40 PM

I made the mistake of purchasing a 8gb fuze and added a 16gb Micro SD card.  This player is horrible.  “Refreshing your media” takes a little more then an hour, and everytime i charge it it refreshes.   to normal people playlist are impossible, unless you want to run homemade scripts,   This player ■■■■■!  I want to find a player that has the following features, anyone have any ideas.

-Easy playlist creation, from both the PC and on the unit

-Gapless playback

-Pitching

-does not refresh everytime i charge it

-some kind of additional memory 

-not made by sandisk or apple

-money no object

RickJF wrote:

I made the mistake of purchasing a 8gb fuze and added a 16gb Micro SD card.  This player is horrible.  “Refreshing your media” takes a little more then an hour, and everytime i charge it it refreshes.   to normal people playlist are impossible, unless you want to run homemade scripts,   This player ■■■■■!  I want to find a player that has the following features, anyone have any ideas.

-Easy playlist creation, from both the PC and on the unit

-Gapless playback

-Pitching

-does not refresh everytime i charge it

-some kind of additional memory 

-not made by sandisk or apple

-money no object

Ouch! The database refresh should only take a few minutes at most. If yours is taking an hour or more, it means you have some issue with the ID3 tags the player reads during the refresh cycle, or corupted files. Once you take care of some house-cleaning duties, the Fuze is a geat little player.

You don’t need to use any homemade scripts in order to create usable playlist on it, either. I don’t.

You might check out Cowon players is money really is no object.

I went through all 23 gb of mp3 files on the player and made sure all tags were Id3v2  and deleted any id3v1,  this problem remains.   Why can’t this thing do its refreshing while charging?   This player is complete ■■■■,  i just bought it a month ago along with a 16gb sd card and i will mail this piece of ■■■■ to the first person that sends me an email indicating they want it, gets it free.   rflaherty@chartermi.net

The firmware engineers at sansa must really be overworked to produce somthing this bad,  too much thought went into this bloated firmware that does nothing but cause aggervation for the user.  why does this player need to read every id3 tag of every file before allowing you to do anything.  it is possible to do this quietly in the background while leaving the player usable.   besides playlists being impossible to make, every time i try to create one and then test it out i have to wait an hour to refresh to find out if it worked or not.   i spent too much time already on this pile of ■■■■. 

Message Edited by RickJF on 02-04-2010 04:46 PM

RickJF wrote:

I went through all 23 gb of mp3 files on the player and made sure all tags were Id3v2  and deleted any id3v1,  this problem remains.   Why can’t this thing do its refreshing while charging?   This player is complete ■■■■,  i just bought it a month ago along with a 16gb sd card and i will mail this piece of ■■■■ to the first person that sends me an email indicating they want it, gets it free.   rflaherty@chartermi.net

The firmware engineers at sansa must really be overworked to produce somthing this bad,  too much thought went into this bloated firmware that does nothing but cause aggervation for the user.  why does this player need to read every id3 tag of every file before allowing you to do anything.  it is possible to do this quietly in the background while leaving the player usable.   besides playlists being impossible to make, every time i try to create one and then test it out i have to wait an hour to refresh to find out if it worked or not.   i spent too much time already on this pile of ■■■■. 

Message Edited by RickJF on 02-04-2010 04:46 PM

Don’t sugar-coat it . . . tell us what you really think. :smileyvery-happy:

Seriously, did you set the tag format as ID3v2.3 ISO 8859-1 with a good tag-editing program like MP3Tag? That’s the specific ID3 tag format that insures smooth operation on the Sansa line of players.

PM me and I’ll give you my address to send it to. I’ll gladly pay for shipping. :wink:

My instructions were to email me, and the first person to send me their mailing address would get it.  and thats what happened.  some unlucky soul is getting an 8 gb version 1 fuze with a 16gb micro sd card  2 usb charge cables and 2 Griffen docks.    its in the mail

RickJF,

You’ve given up a great player.  With all its foibles, it’s still one of the simplest and cleanest players on the market.  And it sounds great. You’re asking it to do something it was not touted nor designed to do (creating playlists on the fly).  Doing it on the computer is a simple matter.  You’ll find no other player at this price range with this sound quality.  I wish I was the first one to send you the email (unless this was a phantom offer).

ggin1

Message Edited by ggin1 on 02-08-2010 07:00 PM