Winamp playlists showing up as empty on Fuze

Hi all

I can see I’m not the first with this problem, but the solutions I’ve found doesn’t seem to work for me. :cry:

When I create a playlist in Winamp (newest version) and transfer it to my Fuze (newest firmware), the music and the playlist gets transferred as they should.

But when I select the playlist on the Fuze, it says the playlist is Empty.

I’ve tried different locations of the playlist (the root and the /MUSIC folder) but it seems to make no difference what so ever. I even tried making the playlist on the player (via Winamp), but no difference.

Can someone explain what the structure of a WORKING playlist looks like, and the correct place to store the .m3u file on the player?

Thanks :smiley:

A working “how to” would be just as nice :wink:

This might help. Works for me.

Thank you.

But I’m looking for at way to use the same playlist in both Winamp and on the Fuze.

Using your method, I would have to make the playlist twice.

For example:

I have a playlist containing ‘my current favorites’. A lot of different artists and songs, with new songs being added all the time, and other songs being removed. In other words: The music is spread across different folders and sub-folders.

I would like to use that playlist on my Fuze.

Using your method I would have to find the music across the folders on my harddrive, and transfer them one by one, and then find them on my Fuze (again: One by one) to add them to a new ‘my current favorites’ playlist, on the player.

I’m sure it works, but its just too complicated and time consuming.

Surely, there must be a way to transfer a playlist to the Fuze, in a way where it still works, without having to make new - duplicate - playlist?

You can use Winamp’s portable syncing feature to do what you want.  However, there is one problem, but it’s easy to fix.

The Fuze requires relative paths in m3u playlists.  In other words, if you save the playlist in the MUSIC folder, the paths in the playlist would begin with subfolders of the MUSIC folder (like Artist\Album\Song.mp3).  Unfortunately, Winamp portable sync always uses full paths from the root of the player (like \Music\Artist\Album\Song.mp3).  The full paths confuse the Fuze and cause the “empty” playlist problem.

So after syncing you need to fix the paths in the playlists on the Fuze.  If the playlists are in the MUSIC folder (that’s where I keep them), then you need to remove the “\MUSIC” from the beginning of the paths.  You can do this with a good free text editor like Notepad++.  Just drag all the playlists from the Fuze into the text editor and do a search and replace in all open files, replacing “\MUSIC” with nothing.  Or you could use a free command-line tool like the amusingly named FART (Find and Replace Tool).  This would let you create a batch file to automate the process.  Then after syncing in Winamp, just double click the batch file and you’re done (this is what I do).

Also, I should mention that manually creating a playlist with Winamp works without any issues.  If you drag some files from the Fuze into Winamp’s playlist editor, then save the playlist to the Fuze’s MUSIC folder, the playlist will contain the required relative paths and will work without any problems.  You can use this method to see a sample of what the relative paths should look like.

Thank your for your help.

I tried Media Monkey (http://www.mediamonkey.com), and now, everything just works, without the need to do anything manually, or to edit anything by hand (or :smileyvery-happy:name!)

I could kick myself for having registered WinAmp before discovering Media Monkey. Well, that’s life.

Thank your for your help.

I tried Media Monkey (http://www.mediamonkey.com), and now, everything just works, without the need to do anything manually, or to edit anything by hand (or by using FART - great name! :smileyvery-happy: )

I could kick myself for having registered WinAmp before discovering Media Monkey. Well, that’s life.

Ooops, sorry for the double post.

@ripraprob wrote:

Thank your for your help.

 

I tried Media Monkey (http://www.mediamonkey.com), and now, everything just works, without the need to do anything manually, or to edit anything by hand (or :smileyvery-happy:name!)

 

I could kick myself for having registered WinAmp before discovering Media Monkey. Well, that’s life.

Yep, MediaMonkey is very powerful.  I use it as well for certain tasks, but I just prefer Winamp as the main interface to my library.

It is annoying that you have to fix the playlists, but once it’s scripted it’s not big deal.  I use a post-sync script anyway to apply mp3gain, copy missing album art, resize album art and photos, etc.  Which I would still need with MM, so it’s not a big deal for me.

@ripraprob wrote:

Thank your for your help.

 

I tried Media Monkey (http://www.mediamonkey.com), and now, everything just works, without the need to do anything manually, or to edit anything by hand (or by using FART - great name! :smileyvery-happy: )

 

I’d truly like to know how you did that.  I am also using MM, and the playlists it creates on the Fuze are all empty.

I’ve looked at the playlist in the \playlists directory on the Fuze, and it contains the expected files.  One of the files is in the \music directory while others are in \podcasts and \audiobook.  The paths are fully qualified (e.g., start with \Music or \Podcast etc.).

Thanks for any advice!

@guyscharf wrote:


@ripraprob wrote:

Thank your for your help.

 

I tried Media Monkey (http://www.mediamonkey.com), and now, everything just works, without the need to do anything manually, or to edit anything by hand (or by using FART - great name! :smileyvery-happy: )

 


 

I’d truly like to know how you did that.  I am also using MM, and the playlists it creates on the Fuze are all empty.

 

I’ve looked at the playlist in the \playlists directory on the Fuze, and it contains the expected files.  One of the files is in the \music directory while others are in \podcasts and \audiobook.  The paths are fully qualified (e.g., start with \Music or \Podcast etc.).

 

Thanks for any advice!

The fully qualified paths and the separate playlist folder are both a problem, assuming you are using MSC mode with M3U playlists.  The paths in the playlist need to be relative to the location of the playlist file.  Which in practice means putting the playlists in the root or music folders.  I put mine in the music folder, which means the paths in the playlists all begin with artist folders under the music folder.  In other words, you need to remove “\MUSIC” from the begining of all your fully qualified paths.

MM should be able to do this for you.  Just set the playlist folder to the MUSIC folder and make sure to check the “Use relative paths” option.

Also, I don’t think podcasts or audiobooks are currently supported in playlists.

@skinjob wrote:


The fully qualified paths and the separate playlist folder are both a problem, assuming you are using MSC mode with M3U playlists.  The paths in the playlist need to be relative to the location of the playlist file.  Which in practice means putting the playlists in the root or music folders.  I put mine in the music folder, which means the paths in the playlists all begin with artist folders under the music folder.  In other words, you need to remove “\MUSIC” from the begining of all your fully qualified paths.

 

MM should be able to do this for you.  Just set the playlist folder to the MUSIC folder and make sure to check the “Use relative paths” option.

 

Also, I don’t think podcasts or audiobooks are currently supported in playlists.

I have partial success.  I moved the playlist to the root directory, stripped the leading “/”, and it mostly worked.

Several people have said to check the “Use relative paths” option.  I continue to be unable to find that option in either the options dialog or the synch options dialog.  I’d appreciate a pointer!

When I moved the playlist to the root directory, files in both the Music and the Audiobooks directory showed up in the playlist on the Fuze, but not the podcasts.  So it looks like Podcasts can’t be used in playlists, with the .15 version of the firmware anyway.  That’s a major disappointment, as I wanted to use playlists to group together talks on common topics, and some of those talks are podcasts (and I prefer to manage them as podcasts).  I’m sure I could change the genre and move them to the music directory, but then I lose the resume function.

Here is my settings from Media Monkey.

Under DEVICE PROFILE

SYNC TRACKS TO: \Music\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Title>

Under COPY PLAYLISTS hit the OPTIONS button.

Under DESTINATION DIRECTORY: \MUSIC\

Somehow it just works :o)

Content of one of the playlists look like this:

 

\Music\Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds (CD1)\The Eve Of The War.mp3
\Music\Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds (CD1)\Horsell Common And The Heat Ray.mp3
\Music\Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds (CD1)\The Artilleryman And The Fighting Machine.mp3
\Music\Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds (CD1)\Forever Autumn.mp3
\Music\Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds (CD1)\Thunder Child.mp3
\Music\Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds  (CD2)\The Red Weed (Part 1).mp3
\Music\Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds  (CD2)\The Spirit Of Man.mp3
\Music\Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds  (CD2)\The Red Weed (Part 2).mp3
\Music\Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds  (CD2)\Brave New World.mp3
\Music\Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds  (CD2)\Dead London.mp3
\Music\Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds  (CD2)\Epilogue (Part 1).mp3
\Music\Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds  (CD2)\Epilogue (Part 2) (NASA).mp3
 

Name of playlist: Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds.m3u

Good luck!

This is all very strange.  Are you using the .15 firmware?

I synch to \Music\<Genre>\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Filename>

When I have a playlist like yours, and it is in the Music directory, it shows up as [Empty].

What I have had to do is to put the playlists in the root directory.  Then, on each line of the playlist, I remove the leading “/” so that the address is relative to the playlist location (the root).  (That, incidentally, lets the playlist address audiobooks as well as music, but not podcasts. )   I have so far been unable to persuade MM to omit the leading “/” itself.  It will be easy enough to write a script to “fix” the playlist files, but I’d rather not have to run a script after synching the device.

Message Edited by GuyScharf on 12-11-2008 10:15 AM

@guyscharf wrote:

This is all very strange.  Are you using the .15 firmware?

Yes!

What USB-mode are you using? (I just found out, that things can change in stange ways, depending on what USB mode you use, and everyone ought to know that).

@ripraprob wrote:

Here is my settings from Media Monkey.

 

Under DEVICE PROFILE

 

SYNC TRACKS TO: \Music\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Title>

 

Under COPY PLAYLISTS hit the OPTIONS button.

 

Under DESTINATION DIRECTORY: \MUSIC\

 

Somehow it just works :o)

 

Content of one of the playlists look like this:

 

\Music\Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds (CD1)\The Eve Of The War.mp3
\Music\Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds (CD1)\Horsell Common And The Heat Ray.mp3
\Music\Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds (CD1)\The Artilleryman And The Fighting Machine.mp3
\Music\Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds (CD1)\Forever Autumn.mp3
\Music\Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds (CD1)\Thunder Child.mp3
\Music\Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds  (CD2)\The Red Weed (Part 1).mp3
\Music\Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds  (CD2)\The Spirit Of Man.mp3
\Music\Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds  (CD2)\The Red Weed (Part 2).mp3
\Music\Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds  (CD2)\Brave New World.mp3
\Music\Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds  (CD2)\Dead London.mp3
\Music\Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds  (CD2)\Epilogue (Part 1).mp3
\Music\Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds  (CD2)\Epilogue (Part 2) (NASA).mp3
 

 

Name of playlist: Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds.m3u

 

Good luck!

This definitely won’t work for a m3u playlist in MSC mode.  If the playlist file is in the MUSIC folder, the paths should look like:

Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds (CD1)\The Eve Of The War.mp3
Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds (CD1)\Horsell Common And The Heat Ray.mp3
Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds (CD1)\The Artilleryman And The Fighting Machine.mp3
Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds (CD1)\Forever Autumn.mp3
Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds (CD1)\Thunder Child.mp3
Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds  (CD2)\The Red Weed (Part 1).mp3
Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds  (CD2)\The Spirit Of Man.mp3
Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds  (CD2)\The Red Weed (Part 2).mp3
Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds  (CD2)\Brave New World.mp3
Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds  (CD2)\Dead London.mp3
Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds  (CD2)\Epilogue (Part 1).mp3
Jeff Wayne\Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds  (CD2)\Epilogue (Part 2) (NASA).mp3

I am using MSC mode, so my experience is the same as what Skinjob says.

So far, I haven’t found a way to get Media Monkey to make the paths relative.  If I could get MM to make the paths relative, I’d be all set.  Well, I’d still be waiting for Sansa to support podcasts in playlists, but that is a different issue.

@guyscharf wrote:

I am using MSC mode, so my experience is the same as what Skinjob says.

 

So far, I haven’t found a way to get Media Monkey to make the paths relative.  If I could get MM to make the paths relative, I’d be all set.  Well, I’d still be waiting for Sansa to support podcasts in playlists, but that is a different issue.

Hmm, I can’t seem to find the option now either.  I could swear when I looked at MM a year or so ago, there was an option.  Although in reading the MM forums, it sounds like MM should be using relative paths by default.  Try setting MM to put the playlists in the MUSIC folder and see if that changes you result.

It doesn’t matter where I put the playlists.  The playlist content remains the same: an absolute not a relative address.

Switch USB-mode, and it will work, no matter where you choose to place the playlists.

To the best of my knowledge, the playlist is made correct (the path is correct), and the Fuze is doing something wrong.

Hopefully this will be fixed with the next firmware update.