Transferring CDs to Sansa Fuse 4GB

Can anybody please advise how to get the tracks in the same order on the Sansa as they are on the CD?

Also when transferring further CDs, the tracks get mixed up with those already on the Sansa Fuse.

Please keep the reply simple, as I am not a computer geek. 

Well, could you tell us what application you use for ripping/transcoding your CDs to music files?

If you are using Windows I can wholeheartedly recommend Winamp for this. But the free Version doesn’t rip to mp3s, so if that bothers you, iTunes does also a good job of ripping. Both of them correctly tag the track numbers and everything else as well. This means that your Sansa will get which albums and artists the files belong to and which track number they are. Even Windows Media Player should do this, but I don’t use it when I’m ripping in Windows.

Message Edited by melchior on 10-24-2008 04:51 PM

The Fuze sorts by ID3 tags. All the files with the same album name are grouped together. Within the album, they are sorted by track number. If track numbers are missing, then they are sorted by title. You can download the free MP3Tag software which is a great tool that makes editing ID3 tags very easy. I use Windows Media Player to make mp3 files from my CDs. It is easy to use, probably already on your pc, and numbers the tracks properly. I use 256 kbps mp3 for great sound quality. 192 kbps also sounds good(but not as good), and will save some space to allow more music to be put on the player. Make sure to be connected to the net while making the mp3s, so that necessary song information is retrieved.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

JK98,

Hello!  I see you rip to 256 but say 192 is good… Can you really hear the difference between the two? I have ripped to 256 192 and 128 and I really can’t.  With my ears I may be able to hear a little bit of a difference between 192 and 128 but hear no difference when I bump it up to 256… I hear so little diffrince I infact ripped most of my music to 128.  I suppose this is good… I have a decent set of Sony ear buds that are way better then what came with the Fuze and i have tried out a few other but liked the Sony’s  best. Good solid Kick drum and nice airy highs with a well rounded mid-range.  I am a fussy SOB when it come to sound…  But i must be missing something! Can you explain?  Thanks! George  

“Hello!  I see you rip to 256 but say 192 is good.Can you really hear the difference between the two? I have ripped to 256 192 and 128 and I really can’t.”

I can hear the difference. It will depend what music you are listening to, the quality of your headphones, and your hearing ability. Many say in general the best idea is to use 192 average kbps mp3 variable bitrate to get basically 256 kbps constant bitrate sound quality with smaller sized files, however the Fuze has issues with some variable bitrate files, so until this is fixed, using variable bitrate files on the Fuze is not recommended.

You didn’t mention which model of Sony earphones you have. They vary greatly in sound quality depending on the model. I have some older models of Sony earphones that are great, however some of the  Sony models are not  so great. There are other brands of earphones such as Sennheiser, Shure, Etymotics, Jays, etc. Some of these models are under $100(or even under $50 like the $25 Sennheiser MX560) while others are over $100.

Message Edited by JK98 on 10-24-2008 01:36 PM

I have Sony MDR-XL55LP

Frequency response 6-23,00Hz

Sensitivity 100db/mw  

I picked them up in Walmart for $39.99.  

There are not the most sensitive Earbuds and I’m guessing that tay rated them at 100mw… But bass is strong and tight…  I’m not sure about my hearing but it has always been very good… I can still hear a kick drum and the spark-lie highs of a of the brass top end, no notes sound dead to me yet they are still full bodied and full of life… I’m not sure if this info will help you see why I am satisfied with 128…  I think I really should hear the difference between 128 and 256. I think I ripped a few CD’s to 192 just because I know it should be better… But really don’t hear it… Don’t get me wrong I think the Fuze does sound Great… No, better then great!! George   

I couldn’t find much on the net about the XL55LP.  Perhaps someone else could comment on it. In general though, I like to use a more efficient earphone.

@jk98 wrote:

Many say in general the best idea is to use 192 kbps mp3 variable bitrate to get basically 256 kbps constant bitrate sound quality with smaller sized files, however the Fuze has issues with some variable bitrate files, so until this is fixed, using variable bitrate files on the Fuze is not recommended.

Just thought I’d mention that all the mp3s on my Fuze and Clip are VBRs encoded by Winamp (LAME encoder) and I’ve never had a problem.  I suspect the VBR issues people have had are probably related to badly behaved encoders and not necessarily general problems with VBR.  If you use LAME (or one of the many apps that use LAME) I doubt you’d have a problem.

I also agree 192kbps is a good compromise for quality and size.  And if you’re using budget head phones, 160kbps might be good enough.  Much below that and the quality degrades too much for my liking.

OK! Thanks! JK98, I know that Sony don’t list them at there site for some reason.  Maybe the next time your in Walmart have a look at them… the packaging don’t give anymore info…  But they do sound good, to me anyway!

Skinjob &  JK98,  The wife and I have our own units… Hers in 4 GB mine in 8 GB… we also have the same Sony earbuds…  Would if be fair to load the same CD in each only one at 128 and one at 256 and get them synced as close as i can an do a AB test? There must be some way I can hear the difference… we have all our music ripped from CD’s in WMP-11 and in MP3 format… George 

Message Edited by George-W on 10-24-2008 01:48 PM

Two non-tech replies to Brian.

1. If the tracks are getting mixed up with those on the Fuze, you might be not be looking for them with the right method. In the Music section, you’ll see a list of ways to find all the individual music files you have e.g. by Artist, Album, Song, Genre etc. Make sure you are accessing them by Album. If tracks from the same album appear in different albums in the Album category section on the Fuze, then it’s very likely you are not burning them correctly or the software you are using to do it with is not configured properly. Sometimes the library information that’s located online automatically by your media player may also be incorrect, in which case follow the advice already given.

2. Make sure you don’t have shuffle selected. This will mix up the track order in an album or any list of songs located on the Fuze. 

Brian,

The other way it can be done is to rip your music… I use WMP-11 and it rips it to a default folder called My Music you can find that from your start menu…* Windown XP*  After ripping close down WMP and open explore you will see the Fuze open that you will see internal memory open your My music folder alongside explorer aka *My Computer* and drop your selections in there The will know where to go. Maybe someone else can explain it a little better them me… As I use WMP-11 most of the time. I have done it both ways and even my wife thinks it better and easier to just use explorer method. I hope this helps you and I’m sorry for hijacking your post!  George

Thanks for your answer.

I am using WMP11, WindowsXP, Service Pack 3.

I received a fuse as a gift, recently.  Nice little device except for one, rather serious issue: It does NOT order the tracks correctly, i.e. according to the track numbering tags (ID3v1 or ID3v2.)  I’ve read numerous other posts in these forii and the concensus seems to be that you need to make sure encoding is set to ISO-8859-1 (latin-1) and that the fuses preference is for ID3v2.4.  I’ve done all that, but to no avail.  It still wants to order the tracks in a way that is not the correct order.  Curiously, it seems to be ordering them the same way, regardless of how I edit the tags, so it’s almost as though it’s taking it’s ordering info from somewhere else.  It is NOT shuffling the tracks at all.  Rather, it starts out with the first five or so in correct order, then skips five or so, then next five or so being in correct order, then skips more.  The skipped tracks appear toward the end of the list, again in correct order with their little group of five or so.

Before this player I had a Creative Zen that used ID3v1, and ID3v2 tags.  It wasn’t picky at all.  Worked great for five years.  The only problem with it is that it has an internal hard drive so I can’t use it in situations where it’ll be subject to sudden movement (e.g. running.)  But, otherwise, it did all that I wanted.  This fuse, while a nice little solid-state device, doesn’t do the one thing that, to me, is critical – play the tracks I put on it in correct order.  I’ve spent hours trying to get this right, fruitlessly.

I hope someone at SanDisk is reading these.  This product FAILS because of this one point.  Fix it, please!

It seems like the Fuze works well with v2.3 tags, and may have a problem with v2.4 tags? Why are there so many tag variations, and why can’t the Fuze and Clip accomodate all of them? i guess this is one reason why I hate navigation by tags so much. The other reason is that the slightest variation in a tag will cause the files to sort separately? I have not seen an adequate solution for that. Someone could edit and reedit their tags, which isn’t so bad for a database of songs that rarely changes, however for use with podcasts that are often added or deleted from the player, this is horrible! I want navigation by folders ASAP!

I have never had any problem with ID3v2.3 ISO 8859-1. ID3v2.4 are not so reliable. 

Why can’t the Fuze accommodate all of them? Simple: because it doesn’t have the processing power of your computer. Then again, your computer is somewhat larger.

Just set mp3tag to write ID3v2.3 ISO 8859-1 under Tools/Options, open your podcast in mp3tag and Save it, and you’re done. 

For the track numbering problem, mp3tag has (under Tools) an Auto-Numbering Wizard that will put leading zeros (01,02) in your track numbers and probably solve that difficulty. Itunes and other rippers sometimes go 1/12, 2/12, etc. so that 11/12 will play after 1/12. (The same problem you’d have with badly done filenames.) 

If your filenames are nice and consistent, Mp3tag will also convert filenames to ID3 tags. You might as well do that rather than holding your breath for SanDisk to enable folder navigation. 

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 01-23-2009 08:56 AM

@black_rectangle wrote:

I have never had any problem with ID3v2.3 ISO 8859-1. ID3v2.4 may be problematical.

I have definitely run into cases where there were tags that the Fuze wouldn’t recognize, and it turned out they were ID3v2.4. This is the only MP3 player we’ve had in my household that has such problems recognizing tags.

What other players do you have?

Sansafix has indicated that 2.4 support is coming in a future FW.

Changing the tags to ID3v2.3 did thetrick!  Thanks, BR!!

(Used eyeD3 (on linux) to do this, btw.  Works great. --n)

Message Edited by n6151h on 01-23-2009 01:49 PM