Multi-Disc MP3s Incorrect Order

My Sansa Fuze 1.02.26A can’t play multi-disc mp3s. I’m pretty sure it worked in earlier firmwares.

Instead it plays the first track of every disc, then the second track of every disc, etc.

Disc 1 Track 1

Disc 2 Track 1

Disc 1 Track 2

Disc 2 Track 2

IDv3 2.3 is properly filled (1/2, 2/2) and works fine other players. Also tried with IDv1 with no effect.

Filenames (1-01 Title, 1-02 Title, 2-01 Title, 2-02 Title) play in the CORRECT order when using MUSIC>FOLDERS to play.

What version of ID3v2.3 are your tags written as? Sansas work best with ISO 8859-1, not UTF. You could also try entering the disc number as a single digit (“1”, “2”, etc.) instead of two numbers separated by a slash.

My solution for this problem is to increment the tracks so that they sort in the correct order, regardless of what the track number was for the file. At least that’s what I do for audiobooks.

ID3v2.3, 8859-1 or UTF makes no difference. With or without total disc number also has no effect.

Meanwhile the solution is just to strip the disc and track frields before copying to the Sansa. (or enumerate without disc numbers)

Message Edited by hugmenot on 05-15-2009 07:26 PM

Message Edited by hugmenot on 05-15-2009 07:26 PM

ID3v2.3, 8859-1 or UTF makes no difference. With or without total disc number also has no effect.

Meanwhile the solution is just to strip the disc and track frields before copying to the Sansa. (or enumerate without disc numbers)

Track numbering with slashes (1/2) doesn’t work right. The Sansa doesn’t know it means Disc 1 Track 2, if that’s what you mean. Many ripping programs number the tracks of a 12-track album (for instance), 1/12, 2/12, etc. Sansa doesn’t like those much, either–it may play 1, 11, 12, 2 ,3. 

Unfortunately there’s no fixed convention for ripping albums.  Since it played all the Track 1s, then 2s, etc., it’s obviously not registering the disc number. 

For multidisc sets I use mp3tag and change the album title for each disc to Album Title 1, Album Title 2, etc. Under Tools, I also use the Auto-Numbering Wizard to Add leading zeroes, so track numbers are 01, 02, etc. 

Or if you want them all as one album, you could use the Auto-Numbering wizard to do what some other people do with multi-disc sets: make the tracks of Disc 1 101, 102, 103, and of Disc 2 201, 202, 203 (The Auto-Numbering Wizard will start with any number you choose.)

If you really have stripped off the tags, but the filenames are consistent, mp3tag has a nice Convert function that will make tags from filenames. 

The fuze is defietly reading the tags correctly. ID3v2.3 v1 v2.4, with or without slash, unicode or not, MTP or MSC mode, whatever.

It reads it fine, but instead of grouping discs together (1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2) it enumerats them (1, 2, 3).

See, if you put the track number in the disc field and the disc nuber in the tack field (e.g. filp them) everything works fine! that’s hilarious! :smileyvery-happy:

Edit: it’s defietly reading both fields, it not ignoring the disc field as the experiment above show.

Message Edited by hugmenot on 05-15-2009 08:35 PM

The fuze is defiately reading the tags correctly. ID3v2.3 v1 v2.4, with or without slash, unicode or not, MTP or MSC mode, whatever.

It reads it fine, but instead of grouping discs together (1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2) it enumerats them (1, 2, 3).

See, if you put the track number in the disc field and the disc nuber in the tack field (e.g. filp them) everything works fine! that’s hilarious! :smileyvery-happy:

Conclusion: it’s defiatelyreading both fields, it’s not ignoring the disc field as the experiment above shows.