Audiobook issues

I loaded 1 audiobook on my Fuze 4GB. It plays fine, each disc is there individually. I recently ripped another audiobook into my computer in MP3 format and synced it (I use Windows Media Player 11) with my Fuze. Well, when I did this, it cut off the first few tracks on some of the CDs.

I said bad words, deleted it and started again. This time, I re-labeled the tracks - disc 1 had tracks 001-020, disc 2 had tracks 021-040 and so on up through disc 9.

I did a drag-n-drop from the folder to the Fuze. I still lost some tracks. I’m really mad now. I’m not sure what to do next, I can’t think of anything new to try. Anyone have any ideas?

When you rip ths CDs do all the chapters rip and play on the pc? If so then when you drag and drop what USB mode are you using?

@chc94 wrote:

I loaded 1 audiobook on my Fuze 4GB. It plays fine, each disc is there individually. I recently ripped another audiobook into my computer in MP3 format and synced it (I use Windows Media Player 11) with my Fuze. Well, when I did this, it cut off the first few tracks on some of the CDs.

I said bad words, deleted it and started again. This time, I re-labeled the tracks - disc 1 had tracks 001-020, disc 2 had tracks 021-040 and so on up through disc 9.

I did a drag-n-drop from the folder to the Fuze. I still lost some tracks. I’m really mad now. I’m not sure what to do next, I can’t think of anything new to try. Anyone have any ideas?

It’s possible they are not lost but out of order?      

If they are out of order, edit the ID3 tags for each file, and fill in the Track number in sequential order.   Search for mp3tag in this forum.   Its a free ID3 tag editor and will work, but there are other ways to edit them (there is a way under WMP11 too).  

Gosh,  I hope you don’t get mad at me  ;)   LOL

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

All of the chapters play fine on the computer. When I drag & drop to the Fuze it’s in MTP mode. I found that one seems to work better than the automatic mode.

(and no, niko, I won’t get mad at you. My mad came on because I sat at the computer for close to 4 hours trying to get the book onto my player.) :wink:

UPDATE: now I have all of the discs on the player… except for disc 5. Track 1 is in one place, the main title folder, and the rest of the tracks (2-20) are in their proper spot (book title, disc 5). I think what I will do is delete that one and re-do it. Hopefully that will work.

In other words, could the Sansa folks please make audiobooks easier to work with?

I’ve found that if I go into itunes and relabel the genre to “Audiobook”, then make sure the album title is the name of the book, and then make sure the track number information is filled in, then it works.  What baffles me is that Rhapsody is the official software you’re supposed to use, right?  Why are there no audiobook folders (or any options for manipulating audiobooks at all, really) in Rhapsody?

Message Edited by zonkerbl on 02-24-2009 04:32 AM

@zonkerbl wrote:

In other words, could the Sansa folks please make audiobooks easier to work with?

I’ve found that if I go into itunes and relabel the genre to “Audiobook”, then make sure the album title is the name of the book, and then make sure the track number information is filled in, then it works.  What baffles me is that Rhapsody is the official software you’re supposed to use, right?  Why are there no audiobook folders (or any options for manipulating audiobooks at all, really) in Rhapsody?

Message Edited by zonkerbl on 02-24-2009 04:32 AM

Rhapsody is not “official software you’re supposed to use” In fact, you don’t have to use it at all. It is all about music. You can start off with a free trial period of Rhapsody if you want to, but many of us never bother with it. There is an  audiobook folder on your Fuze right out of the box:smiley:

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 02-25-2009 02:24 AM

What about trying it this way? I just drag and drop with MSC mode:

You need MP3tag ( Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...) )

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&thread.id=18080&view=by\_date\_ascending&page=2

Or, simply merge all the mp3 tracks into a single mp3 with MergeMp3

Then you control, once, what order they are in; and after that just copy around one file…you can even put the album art into the file to make it a truly self-contained file.

Exsqueeze me?  The cd that comes with the Sansa that says “installation CD” has a copy of Rhapsody Media Manager on it!

I’ve got a way that works, but it’s labor intensive.  mp3tag isn’t necessary for me because I can do the same stuff more easily in itunes. 

All I want is a folder in Rhapsody that you drop a book into and it asks you “do you want this to be an audiobook?” and if you say yes it changes the genre tag for you automatically.  If it could check the book title as well and say “but you have this book already!  Would you like to rename this book?” that would be  nice too because different audiobook distributors (particularly russian ones) might not think to put the book name in the album field.  I had three books from Ardis and they all had the same book title, “www.Ardis.com”.  That’s stupid, a simple little program should be able to fix that, but not if you’re using drag and drop.  You need a media manager like Rhapsody.

Also I’m not your average consumer.  You’re average 80 year old lady is not going to know to come to forums and find the labor intensive solution involving mp3tag.  She’s going to say “This thing ■■■■■!” and return it.

Message Edited by zonkerbl on 02-27-2009 04:44 AM

@zonkerbl wrote:

Exsqueeze me?  The cd that comes with the Sansa that says “installation CD” has a copy of Rhapsody Media Manager on it!

Message Edited by zonkerbl on 02-27-2009 04:44 AM

Yes it does, but that doesn’t mean you have to use it. A lot of us use that CD for a coaster, or Frisbee. :stuck_out_tongue:

lol!

yah i’ve just about given up on it.  oh well.

The included CD has the Rhapsody client on it, but Rhapsody is not required to manage your device.

Out-of-the-box, you can simply use Windows Media Player, which also (with version 10 and later) includes the MTP drivers for the Sansa.

Most users here have a favorite manager, like Media Monkey or Winamp, among others- or you can simply use drag-and-drop.

Editing the ID3 tag data can be done with the advanced tag editor built-in to Windows Media Player, Rhapsody has one too.  Hands-down, MP3Tag is a favorite for tag editing and album art.

µsansa

I would love to use media manager.  Unfortunately media center has taken over my puter and it won’t let media manager work!  Very strange.

I mean I’ve figured everything out that I wanted to figure out.  But I can’t make or use playlists without rhapsody.

I do have winamp but I’ve never really learned how to use it, mostly use it just to play ogg format files.

Auto mode means on the PC it uses MTP so if you’re using a PC they’re the same thing.

Assuming you’re using Windows and you want to drag and drop, make sure you select all the files you want to drag and then grab them by the first file you’ve selected.  If you don’t it will drag the one the cursor is on first and then get the rest. At least this is how it works in MSC mode, which is what I always use.  The player should play them in order even if you don’t drag them in order but maybe MTP mode works differently.

The way I do it is when I rip a CD to tracks I then combine those tracks with a freeware program called MP3 Merger, which you can find with Google.  It will combine the small files into a larger file.  If you get version 0.3.2.1 of MP3 Merger it can’t get them out of order if you’ve properly named them.

Actually I combine the whole book, up to about 12 hours, into a single file.  If the book is longer than 12 hours I make 2 files.  That way there’s just no room for any confusion on the player.  It makes life much easier.

I use MSC mode because I always drag and drop and I never use programs like WMP or such to synch files.  If you’re dragging and dropping you get more features with MSC mode and the transfer process is easier.  Since I haven’t used MTP mode I can’t comment on the differences while using the player.  I think MTP is better with playlists but since my book is a single file I don’t need playlists and I’ve never bothered with them.

Barry

@barryem wrote:

Auto mode means on the PC it uses MTP so if you’re using a PC they’re the same thing.

Assuming you’re using Windows and you want to drag and drop, make sure you select all the files you want to drag and then grab them by the first file you’ve selected.  If you don’t it will drag the one the cursor is on first and then get the rest. At least this is how it works in MSC mode, which is what I always use.  The player should play them in order even if you don’t drag them in order but maybe MTP mode works differently.

The way I do it is when I rip a CD to tracks I then combine those tracks with a freeware program called MP3 Merger, which you can find with Google.  It will combine the small files into a larger file.  If you get version 0.3.2.1 of MP3 Merger it can’t get them out of order if you’ve properly named them.

Actually I combine the whole book, up to about 12 hours, into a single file.  If the book is longer than 12 hours I make 2 files.  That way there’s just no room for any confusion on the player.  It makes life much easier.

I use MSC mode because I always drag and drop and I never use programs like WMP or such to synch files.  If you’re dragging and dropping you get more features with MSC mode and the transfer process is easier.  Since I haven’t used MTP mode I can’t comment on the differences while using the player.  I think MTP is better with playlists but since my book is a single file I don’t need playlists and I’ve never bothered with them.

Barry

Actually Auto mode is an invitation for trouble. That is all!

Auto Detect has its advantages.  For my own use, I transfer diagnostic data in MSC mode, while listening to my media that’s separated from the data by the “wall” betwen MSC and MTP.

Also, music specific to the SlotMusic devices is automatically separated for me, as that is all mp3 and MSC.

If Windows Media Player loses its mind, the Sansa still connects.  When I open Windows Explorer, I am greeted with MSC mode.  On the fly, no worries, I can still load and go!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I know this is an old thread but I had to put in my 2 cents worth on the comment of “an 80 year old lady”

I am a 70 year old lady and I found my way to this forum and I found a solution for all my questions regarding the Sansa Fuze (which I use for Audiobooks only!) The step by step instructions posted by the people here are great, I got more from them than from the ‘user manuals’. Please don’t under estimate the Senior Generation!