Why do some named tracks go into the folder "Unknown"?

Hi, I ripped some cd in Mp3 format but when I transfer them (upload) on the Fuze, some of them go to folder “Unknown” although they have music title and the tracks are titled. How to fix that problem?

Thanks

Right-click on one of the Unknowns and go to Properties/Summary/Advanced. Either the information won’t be there for Artist, Album, or whatever is Unknown, or it’s in a format your computer can read but the Fuze can’t.

You’re looking at the ID3 tags: information within the mp3 file that’s like the printing on a CD. Unknown isn’t a folder–it’s part of the database or index the Fuze makes by reading the ID3 tags. If it doesn’t see Artist, Title or Album, it classifies it as unknown.

The files need ID3 tags in a preferred format: ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1.

Here’s what that means and how to fix existing tags.

You may need to set your ripping software to write ID3v2.3–if it’s using the old ID3v1 the Fuze just doesn’t see them, and only the latest firmware can handle the newer ID3v2.4 

Otherwise, click on Music and go all the way through the choices until you see Folders, and that will list the files by folder and filename.

Don’t see Folders?  Update your firmware to get that option.

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 09-28-2009 09:47 AM

thanks. I made the firmeware update and installed the music converter. I changed the transfer mode in USB mode but the Sansa is not diplayed in win Xp files manager anymore.

But more serious, the message “Connected” with the flower symbol is displayed and the Sansa is freezed, don’t respond anymore. I cannot it switch off.

what to do? I’m stucked!

Message Edited by midiweb on 09-28-2009 09:59 AM

Problem fixed: I hold 10 sec. the power switch and it starts again.

hi, I ripped with EAC  Exactly audio copy and here are the tags. What’s wrong?

Artist:
Title:
Album:
Track:
Disc:
Genre:
Year:
Rating:
Composer:
Size: 5,6 MB  (12% of original, 8 to 1 compression)
Original Size: 45,21 MB
Length: 4 minutes 28 seconds
Channels: 2  (stereo)
Sample Rate: 44,1 KHz;
Sample Size: 16 bit
Bit Rate: 174 kbps
Encoder: LAME 3.97
Encoder Settings: Variable Bit Rate  -V 4  (Medium)
Audio Quality: High  (Lossy)
Play Count:
Last Played:
Contains:
Channel Mapping: Left, Right
File: hidden Title
Type: Son au format MP3    [.mp3]

@midiweb wrote:

hi, I ripped with EAC  Exactly audio copy and here are the tags. What’s wrong?

Artist:
Title:
Album:
Track:
Disc:
Genre:
Year:
Rating:
Composer:
Size: 5,6 MB  (12% of original, 8 to 1 compression)
Original Size: 45,21 MB
Length: 4 minutes 28 seconds
Channels: 2  (stereo)
Sample Rate: 44,1 KHz;
Sample Size: 16 bit
Bit Rate: 174 kbps
Encoder: LAME 3.97
Encoder Settings: Variable Bit Rate  -V 4  (Medium)
Audio Quality: High  (Lossy)
Play Count:
Last Played:
Contains:
Channel Mapping: Left, Right
File: hidden Title
Type: Son au format MP3    [.mp3]

You can see that all the main tags are blank:

Artist:
Title:
Album:
Track:
Disc:
Genre:
Year:
Rating:
Composer:

I’m guessing EAC wasn’t able to find the tag info on the Internet automatically and you didn’t manually fill in the info.  Or there was some kind of problem during the transcode that kept the tags from being populated.  Hard to say for sure without watching your whole process.

Did EAC correctly create your folder and file names?  If the folders and files are named correctly (something like <Artist>\<Album>\<Track>. <Title>.mp3) you can use a tool like MP3Tag or Tag&Rename to create the missing Artist/Album/Track/Title tags from the folder/file names.

The tags aren’t on the CD. The ripper has to get them somewhere–either from you typing them in or online. EAC uses the user-generated database freedb.  You have to tell EAC to talk to Freedb.

Open EAC and under EAC (top left) click on freedb/Database Options. You need to fill in an email (it doesn’t have to be a real one, just in the form name@domain.com) and pick a freedb server in your language (English is http:/freedb.org etc.) . That’s where EAC is going to look for the tags.

Also under EAC, go to Compression Options. Under External Compression, make the Bitrate at least 192 kbps so it will sound good. Then check: Delete WAV after compression (unless you want to fill up your hard drive) and Add ID3 tag.

Now look under the ID3tag tab. Check Additionally write ID3v2 tags (mine uses padding of 4kb whatever that is). Make sure the ID3v2.4 is not checked.  Uncheck “Use track format xx/xx” which gives you tags like 1/10, etc. The Sansa prefers just numbers, not the slash. 

Then when you put a CD in to rip, go to database and click Get CD Information From…Remote Freedb. 

The downside is that Freedb is only as good as what users have volunteered. It may not have the album at all, or it may have incorrect or inconsistent tags. Even if EAC does get tags, it’s good to look at them and standardize them with mp3tag. 

The bigshots–Windows Media Player and iTunes–get their tags from the big commercial database, CDDB. They’re more reliable than Freedb.

But WMP and iTunes don’t make mp3s that sound as good as the ones from EAC or other programs that use the LAME mp3 encoder,  like foobar2000 (another Freedb client). 

If I can’t find Freedb tags with EAC, I usually get lazy and, because I’m allergic to Windows Media Player, I rip in iTunes (which has to have some settings changed under Edit/Preferences/Advanced to rip to mp3 rather than its own format, m4a). But iTunes tags are ID3v2.2, so I change them in mp3tag to ID3v2.3

Yes, it’s a pain. With any luck you’ll be ripping albums that are in Freedb.