track numbers on P.C. different from track numbers on Fuze

Hi,

I’ve downloaded Sansa Firmware Updater yesterday and I have a problem since. In fact, I used to organize my musics thanks to the track numbers but now, when I put a number to a piece of music (e.g. n°50) it changes when I hear it on my Fuze (e.g. it becomes n°35 instead of n°50). Is there a way to resolve this ?

How are you putting the track numbers on? The Fuze reads track numbers from the ID3 tags–not from the filename. You can change the ID3 tags by right-clicking on the file, Properties/Summary/Advanced.

That’s the way I do, right-clicking on the files, and it always worked… But I think the fact I’ve downloaded Sansa Firmware Updater has changed something and it doesn’t work anymore.

It seems like the Fuze gives the position of the file in the now playing window ie. 9/12 meaning file 9 out of 12 total, and doesn’t give the track number tag value. The order will be based on the tag numbers though unless you are using folder view.

If you are using mtp mode, editing a tag on a file that is on the player won’t work. You need to edit the copy that is stored on the pc, delete the copy on the player, then copy the the file from the pc to the player.

I’m using MSC mode ; anyway I took the files from the PC and sent them to the player after having modified the track number. Have I to use MTP mode ?

Take them off the unit and try again.

You can use mp3tag, a free program: 

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

to change a whole album’s track numbers at once.

When you install it,  allow it to add itself to context   menus (checkbox while installing), and then you can just right-click on the album folder and have mp3tag  open it.

When you first run mp3tag, under Tools/Options, set the default under Tags/Mpeg to Write ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1, the Fuze’s favorite snack. 

With the tracks in order top to bottom, you can run (under Tools) the  Auto-Numbering Wizard with Leading Zeros to get the tracks numbered 01,02, etc.  Otherwise the Fuze will go by the first digit and play 1, 11, 12, 2, 21, 22, etc.

Try fixing an album with mp3tag at these settings, and see if the problem persists.

I’ve use MP3Tag but it’s worse, now the tracks of the folder are in any order on my Fuze. But I wonder if it is  normal that when I right -clicked on the files after having modified the track numbers (=>01, 02…) it was still written 1, 2,… in the containing folder ?

Second question first: Yes, Windows Explorer does that. It shows 1 in the Track Number Column when it sees 01. All that matters is what is actually in the field, which you can see with mp3tag.

But I don’t understand why you’re having track order problems IF you ran the Auto-Numbering tool while they were in the right order.  The Fuze should read the track numbers from the track number field. 

Sometimes I get albums that didn’t make track numbers part of the filenames. So you get the songs alphabetically. A-song, B-song, C-song, D-song. If mp3tag has them listed alphabetically by filename, and you click the Auto-Numbering Wizard, A-song will become track 01, etc. mp3tag doesn’t read the existing track numbers in that case–it numbers the files in the order they are listed, top to bottom.

If you do have filenames like A-song, B-song, etc., but they are correctly  numbered in the Track field, you can click the Track header to put them in track order. (Clicking any other header will also regroup the files.) 

Another cute mp3tag feature: Convert. It can turn tags into filenames or filenames into tags, using the fields you specify by putting %track%-%artist%-%title% (etc.) between percent signs. My example would read the tags and rename the files 01-Artist-First Song Title. So if you had those alphabetical titles but with correct track numbers, you could use Convert Tag to Filename to make them 01-First Song, etc. And then they would list correctly in Windows Explorer.  

@black_rectangle wrote:

But I don’t understand why you’re having track order problems IF you ran the Auto-Numbering tool while they were in the right order.  The Fuze should read the track numbers from the track number field. 

I’ve noticed that Auto-Numbering in MP3Tag only works reliably if you have an entire album in it. Say for example, you only have tracks #4, 6, 9, 10, 12, & 15. After running the Auto-numbering wizard, these tracks will now be numbered as  #01, 02, 03, 04, 05 & 06.

Which is why I myself don’t use this feature. Anything labeled or touted as “Auto” is bound to screw something up at the expense of it being “easy”. Just look at the number of problems encountered and posted about here by using the “Auto-synchronization” feature of Windows Media Player.

You just have to understand how the function works. It’s completely straightforward. 

Auto-Numbering wipes out existing track numbers and renumbers them consecutively, top to bottom, from whatever opening number you select (or 01 by default). It doesn’t pretend to be any smarter than that. But when you do have whole albums ripped–as I generally do–it’s exactly what you want.

Don’t compare it to the infamous Auto-Sync, which no human outside Redmond can fully comprehend.

Well, I’ve finally solved my problem thanks to Mp3tag. In fact I am used to assemble tracks from an artist without differentiate the different albums, I think that’s why a few tracks had a discnumber whereas the others didn’t. So I’ve just had to erase information from the discnumber field when simply using the Auto-Numbering tool wasn’t efficient.

About this :

@black_rectangle wrote:

That’s how I’ve done, and it works each time except for one file ; I don’t know why but the tracks appears without any logic on my Fuze. Perhaps it is due to the fact that one track is a WMA file whereas the others are MP3 files, but it’s not really important.

Thanks for help !:smiley: